Peavey footswitch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey footswitch question

Do any of you happen to know if a 2 button footswitch for a 5150 will work on a Peavey Valveking? The people at Peavey said it won't and they sent me a schematic of the wiring scheme for the Peavey Rockmaster which is supposed to be the same as the Valveking. I opened up my 5150 footswitch and it looks exactly the same.

Well I have the valveking and the footswitch I would assume that you could use the channel select, the volume boost might not work, But I dont use that with the vk footswitch...

I assume you have the 5150 switch and valveking to try...

Comment

The switches in a 5150 are momentary - they pull a signal to ground, which throws a relay to switch channels.

The switches in a RM/VK/Windsor are latching, they stay on when hit, also pulling a signal to ground and thereby throwing a relay.

This makes the schematic the same physically, but the switches act very differently.

What will happen if you use a 5150 switch with an RM/VK/Windsor is that the channel will change only as long as you keep your foot on the switch, and go back as soon as you take it off.

Comment

Originally posted by DXMG View Post
        The switches in a 5150 are momentary - they pull a signal to ground, which throws a relay to switch channels.

The switches in a RM/VK/Windsor are latching, they stay on when hit, also pulling a signal to ground and thereby throwing a relay.

This makes the schematic the same physically, but the switches act very differently.

What will happen if you use a 5150 switch with an RM/VK/Windsor is that the channel will change only as long as you keep your foot on the switch, and go back as soon as you take it off.
        The switching on my 5150II and the other 3 original 5150's that I owned did not require momentary footswitches. They were standard latching switches.

Comment

Then you had the wrong footswitch

What kinda switches we talkin' here - MXR Distortion plus/Dunlop Crybaby type? Wired to a board or just wired to wires?
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I got a switch for my VK off of ebay from Voodoo Man switches. It's a little small but works well. Interesting enough the model number is VD5150...

www.voodoomanswitches.com
            Greg

'86 Model 1
            '87 Model 2
            '88 Model 3A
            '88 Model 3DR
            '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Then you had the wrong footswitch

What kinda switches we talkin' here - MXR Distortion plus/Dunlop Crybaby type? Wired to a board or just wired to wires?
              latching.... click on....click off. I used this same pedal with Marshall, Crate, Laney and Carvin amps. Its just a standard 2 button footswitch

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                latching.... click on....click off. I used this same pedal with Marshall, Crate, Laney and Carvin amps. Its just a standard 2 button footswitch
                John - my Framus uses non latching switches, but they also click. I'm actually looking for a 4 button footswitch that is non-latching. Each pair of switches terminates on a 1/4 inch TRS phone jack - kinda like the B-52's. Maybe I'll research the Peaveys.

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                  John - my Framus uses non latching switches, but they also click. I'm actually looking for a 4 button footswitch that is non-latching. Each pair of switches terminates on a 1/4 inch TRS phone jack - kinda like the B-52's. Maybe I'll research the Peaveys.

Pete, the least expensive pedals I could think of that do exactly what you want are the pedals that come with the Behringer V-Amp 2. They are non latching and terminate on a TRS male plug.

Comment

For some reason Peavey has different wiring schemes for what would seem to be the same kind of setup. I have an old Triumph P.A.G. combo and it came with a 3-button switch with a 7-pin DIN connector. The connector was sketchy but worked, so I saw another 3-button Peavey footswitch with 7-pin DIN connector on Ebay abd bought it expecting it to work. It didn't.

I emailed CS at Peavey and asked them about it and indeed it was wired differently than mine was. The nice thing is that they had me send in both switches and wired them up the way I needed them for free.
                    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

5150 switches are latching.
                      Jerry
                      FJA Mods YouTube

Comment

Working...
                      X