pre-amp tube question 2203

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-amp tube question 2203

I am using my 2203 clone set clean and using an MT2 for distortion. What pre amp tubes should I be running to use my amp like this? Does it even matter?
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

I'd try some 12AT7s. They have slightly lower output than 12AX7s, so in theory they would give you a cleaner tone.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
      I'd try some 12AT7s. They have slightly lower output than 12AX7s, so in theory they would give you a cleaner tone.
      Run the same in all three spots? Oh, I forgot to mention that the power tubes are 6550EH (if it matters).
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Each one you replace lowers the gain. Experiment to see what you like.

Comment

Tube choice always is a matter of personal preference. I too have a 2203 clone which i have completed some months ago. I run a chinese 12ax7 as V1 (matched for low noise), one JJ 12ax7 for V2 and a chinese 12ax7 for V3 and i am pretty happy with the sound. I also have a fourth preamp tube inside the amp because i implemented a tube-buffered effect loop and that's also a JJ 12ax7. For the record the power tubes are Winged C EL34.
          That being said i run the amp without a distortion pedal. That's why i choose 2 chinese preamp tubes as those tend to have more gain. I also modded the amp to have more gain than the stock version. It's by no means a high-gain amp now because i have a Rectifier and a SLO Clone for those tasks but it still has quite a bit more gain and enough to be used without a distortion pedal.
          http://www.myspace.com/drasticviolence

Thrash/Death-Metal from Germany

Comment

I have a bunch of pre-amp tubes if you want to try different combinations. LMK Scott. I like the Chinese 12ax7's in all 3 spots.

Comment

Id dich the MT2,put in JJ83s an got myself a decent OD pedal(I prefer OCD) and possibly some attenuator.
              Rock/Metal Monster

Comment

Originally posted by butrus View Post
                Id dich the MT2,put in JJ83s an got myself a decent OD pedal(I prefer OCD) and possibly some attenuator.
                Rock/Metal Monster
                +1 - although you could still keep the MT-2 and turn the gain down, use it for an eq option. I dont know if you play metal or classic rock or whatever (I assume metal since you have a MT-2) but most players with 2203's run into the high input and have the gain up quite a bit. Then kick in a tube screamer or other od for serious rippage. With the pedal off and rolling down your guitar vol pot you get a passable bluesy clean tone. Makes it kind of a pseudo 3 channel rig if you follow me. The MT-2 has some cool eq you can use but keep the gain on it down if you run the preamp hot on your 2203. Great amp. I have one too and love it.

Comment

Keep the Mt2, send it to Keeley for upgrades WAY better than stock. You'll be hard pressed to push those 6550s to distort so I would go 12ax7's (tungsol in V1, jjs in 2 & 3)....Great set up, ok so I'm biased.
                  www.JerryRobison.com
                  '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I use an MT2 into the low imput of my 2203. That way I have headroom when I boost for solos and a very clean tone when I shut off the MT2.
                    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by butrus View Post
                      Rock/Metal Monster
                      Originally posted by thenine View Post
                      +1 - although you could still keep the MT-2 and turn the gain down, use it for an eq option. I dont know if you play metal or classic rock or whatever (I assume metal since you have a MT-2) but most players with 2203's run into the high input and have the gain up quite a bit. Then kick in a tube screamer or other od for serious rippage. With the pedal off and rolling down your guitar vol pot you get a passable bluesy clean tone. Makes it kind of a pseudo 3 channel rig if you follow me. The MT-2 has some cool eq you can use but keep the gain on it down if you run the preamp hot on your 2203. Great amp. I have one too and love it.

This would be my line of thinking as well.

Comment

okay I have to ask...how did you come by a 2203 "clone"?

Comment

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I am gonna play with the preamp tubes and try different types. I like the sound of the MT2, but I am also going to try boosts up front.

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                          okay I have to ask...how did you come by a 2203 "clone"?
                          My g/f brother built it for me.
                          Scott

Comment

I apologize for hijacking the thread but the 2203 was the 100wt and the 2204 was the 50wt? no effects loop or reverb?

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                              I apologize for hijacking the thread but the 2203 was the 100wt and the 2204 was the 50wt? no effects loop or reverb?
                              Correct...you can still buy kits to recreate these amps though and spec them to your liking.
                              www.JerryRobison.com
                              '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Working...
                              X