Small club amp combo. JCM900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small club amp combo. JCM900

We have been playing these clubs that my 100 watt dsl half stack is just too much for everyone, including me hauling it out at 230 am.....UGH. So I decided to use my JCM900 HI Gain Dual Reverb 2-12 Combo, 100 watt, for these places. The problem is, that I spoiled my ass with the ooomph and thud of the 4-12. I kind of got use to it. Im running a mix of Reflektors and Tung Sol in the pre and Mesa EL34Mullards. I have it knocked back to 50 watts so I don't over power my other guitarist's Solid State Marshall 30 watt stereo. I dont want to ad a pedal to the mix to boost the bottom. I have added a board to the back to tighten it up a bit with out blocking the heat escape. Any suggestions. I have it on an angle so its smacking me in the face. Low volume. You know those soundmen..... Mean while, the other guitarist is running the solid state with a decent tone with the amp running at 80%. I luck if I am at 15-20 on mine.
    The amp sounds killer out the front system, it is just not what im use to on stage. Love to hear what some of you guy are doing bouncing between different rigs for different venues.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

I know where you are coming from. There is no replacement for speaker displacement.
    If you mic... have your guitar put up louder in the monitors and make sure one if facing you.
    If not... try facing your amp away from you and the crowd a little and turn it up.

Personally... I don't see much of a difference in regard to lugging around gear between a JCM900 2 x 12 combo and a head and 4 x 12. I assume your cab has wheels. Just throw the DSL on top and wheel it in. Doesn't sound like an issue to me.
    Bottom line... nothing thumps like a good 4 x 12.

Comment

I run the same rig....however I have an extension greenback 25W filled 2X12"(non ported)cab. that gives me the "OOMPH" that I am used to coming from my 1960B cabs I just keep the stock combo speakers unplugged.

Comment

when i play smaller venues like the occasional pizza joint or "bum bar" i take a SUPER scaled down version of my normal rig.

i usually play with a 120 watt all tube, stereo rivera haed that runs (2) 1x12 cabs and a 2x12 cab in a wet/dry set-up.

when i play the little places i use the same head with a stereo 2x10 cab. i just bump down the power rating from 120 watts stereo to 30 watts stereo (15x2). it works great. my tone changes a little bit, like it is NOT as tight or crushing, but it makes for a decent sound...especially since a lot of those shit pits don't have "full band" PA systems, only vocal systems.

if it is a mid sized shit pit, i take the 120 watt head and the (2)1x12 cabs and use one for each side at half power, 60x2. works out fine.

that's one of the reasons i use the (2)1x12's and the 2x12 - so i have more configurations available without having to fuck with multiple amps. the best thing i ever did was dump 4x12 cabs.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

It really isnt so much hauling the gear as it is having room in places for it both sound and space wise. Thank for letting me hear what you guys are doing in these situations.

Comment

i know exactly what you mean...some of those stages can be tiny!!! we did a shit pit where i was in front of the entrance to the restrooms!!! everytime somebody walked by, i had to move!!! talk about lame....
            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

HAHAHAH...Man that sucks... Hope it was at least the ladies room.
              Well last night I turned the amp aroun and faced the back drop. Took it off the angled stand and put it right on the floor. I also put it back into 100watt mode and cranked it. Sounded so much better. Thanks for all the ideas. I am a very happy camper, the JCM 900 kicks ass with the Tung Sols and the Groove Mullards. Seriously kicks assssssssssssssss.
              Last edited by Learn Guitars; 01-11-2009, 12:53 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=markD;1192805]... shit pit...
                Now I know what to call the places we play!

Comment

Shit pit and bum bar.....LOL.

Comment

Hey Mike, what comes to my mind if you can get in between the speaker and the amp (I am knot familier with Marshall combos, but I know this is possible with some combos) is maybe adding a Hotplate to the mix - would allow you to turn up to let the power tubes do some talking without blowing every away. Just a thought.
                    "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      I know where you are coming from. There is no replacement for speaker displacement.
                      If you mic... have your guitar put up louder in the monitors and make sure one if facing you.
                      If not... try facing your amp away from you and the crowd a little and turn it up.

Personally... I don't see much of a difference in regard to lugging around gear between a JCM900 2 x 12 combo and a head and 4 x 12. I assume your cab has wheels. Just throw the DSL on top and wheel it in. Doesn't sound like an issue to me.
                      Bottom line... nothing thumps like a good 4 x 12.
                      I agree with John-
                      4x12's are the WAY TO GO. Stop yer bitchin. I'm in my 50's and I GLADLY lug a full stack OR TWO to every gig. Takes up the same real estate as your combo on the floor and the look......well....it looks like it's spos'd to.

Would you show up to a drag race with a Pinto?
                      Would you go shark fishin in a rowboat?
                      Would you go lion huntin with a .22?
                      Would you go to a rumble with a nailfile?
                      Strat God Music
                      http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

Hey Mike, are you running an EQ in the loop of that 900? If not, give it a try, you won't believe what a huge kick in the pants it will give it.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Which one you reccomend?

Comment

Originally posted by Strat God View Post
                            I agree with John-
                            4x12's are the WAY TO GO. Stop yer bitchin. I'm in my 50's and I GLADLY lug a full stack OR TWO to every gig. Takes up the same real estate as your combo on the floor and the look......well....it looks like it's spos'd to.

Would you show up to a drag race with a Pinto?
                            Would you go shark fishin in a rowboat?
                            Would you go lion huntin with a .22?
                            Would you go to a rumble with a nailfile?
                            Man...Don't get me wrong. I'll haul that fucker if that is what it takes to get the tone I want. But, some of these clubs will not justify hauling a full or half stack. And if I can get the tone I want for the pay I am making...I'll haul my little as tone monster in and out. I dont really care how I look standing in front of my 2x12...

It's not the size that matters right? HAHAHHAA....At least that is what my wife has me believing.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                              Which one you reccomend?
                              Well, I've only ever used a Boss GE-7, so I know that it works very well. I'm sure any decent EQ would do a similar job. In fact I've been meaning to get one of the MXR 10 band EQs, like the KK model to try out. I'll need another one soon anyway, because I need to have duplicate rigs when my band starts back up.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X