Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carr Amplifiers

Howdy -

These guys have been after me to sell their amps here at the shop. I'm curious if any of you have used or own these amps and what your opinions are.

I appreciate your input!

Matt

Matt's Music Center
    35 Pleasant St
    Weymouth MA 02190 USA
    781-335-0700
    www.mattsmusic.com
    Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Never tried them.

I checked out their website. Looks OK. Never heard how the sound.

I tried a Egnater Rebel 20 this weekend and thought it was pretty cool. If these sound like it that would be good.

I would be in the market for a small tube amp, except for the fact that I have too many and I'll probably just make my own.

Comment

I almost bought a Vincent but then I played through my Zinky Bluevelvet 50 and I was sold. The Zinky and the 5881's had the kick the Carr was missing. The Zinky was also about half the cost. I think the new Vincent is called the Viceroy.

Whoops! After browsing their site I realize it was a Hammerhead I played. I got confoosed by the art deco front panel they have in common. The Viceroy I've never played but from the description, it sounds like I may have to look into one. Dual wattage I like.
      Last edited by catzodellamarina; 01-20-2009, 04:24 PM. Reason: mistake

Comment

I got to play two a while ago and they did sound great and they also have a great reputation. For cleans and sort of bluesy break up those two were great, really nice cleans. I played a zinky as well and for higher levels of gain I also preferred that. Sadly they were all used and I don't know the models of any of them.

Comment

I have played through several models (Rambler, Slant 6V, and Mercury) and they were all great. The Slant 6 absolutely kills and the Mercury is a pretty cool low wattage amp, great for recording or playing at home. They are very short on "bang for the buck" though...very pricey (although on par with many other "boutique" manufacturers...and they are truly point-to-point, not handwired on some type of board).

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
            I have played through several models (Rambler, Slant 6V, and Mercury) and they were all great. The Slant 6 absolutely kills and the Mercury is a pretty cool low wattage amp, great for recording or playing at home. They are very short on "bang for the buck" though...very pricey (although on par with many other "boutique" manufacturers...and they are truly point-to-point, not handwired on some type of board).
            I'm not all that sure that hand wiring on a turret board is all that much different than point to point.
            I did my last build (Spitfire) PTP.
            I might try doing the next SEL PTP.
            I'm not convinced it will change the tone of the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
              I'm not all that sure that hand wiring on a turret board is all that much different than point to point.
              I did my last build (Spitfire) PTP.
              I might try doing the next SEL PTP.
              I'm not convinced it will change the tone of the amp.
              Probably no different tonally but should be more durable/abuse resistant.

Comment

I recently saw a handful of Franz Ferdinand shows and the singer was playing through a Carr combo. It sounded great.

Comment

Working...
                X