My evening at GC - Silver Jubilee content

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My evening at GC - Silver Jubilee content

I already have a thread about why does my POD sound great in headphones (but not with PC speakers), so I decided to head down to GC to find something small with good tone for the apartment.

I went to the Nashville GC, and they had a mint new DXMG in black "used" for $249.99. The fretboard looks like what Gibson should be using on Les Pauls. Frets brand new, polished nicely and no sharp fret ends.

Then I went into there quite room and found the amp of my dreams - a Silver Jubilee full stack - small size (2553 short head and matching 4x10 cabs). I can remember the first time playing one of these in 1987 in the GC in West Covina CA. It was just like going back in time - just love all over again. They wanted $2499 for the full stack.

Well, with this amp and the DXMG (even with the shitty EMG-HZs) I was ripping it up in the quite room. Tone of the gods. I played there for at least an hour. I was playing Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, NIB, War Pigs, the tone was awesome. My ears were bleeding.

Then I brought in a DSL50 (I have a DSL100 1/2 stack at home). Plugged into a 4x12 straight bottom. Not exactly the same, of course. It was hard to tell what the impact of 8 10" speakers against 4 12" speakers was, but the Silver had more bass, bottom. Kicking in the deep switch on the DSL helped.

The Silver had the classic Marshall tone. The DSL had a good tone too, but more modern sounding I'd say.

Then I grabbed some other axes to see how PAF pickups fared. The first LP was a 2007 chambered 60s neck with BB Pros. Just sounded muffled and farty compared to the DXMG.

Then I grabbed another LP - my guess a 1976 maple neck deluxe fitted with humbuckers. Better tone, but still the DXMG slayed both. I have a 2002 LP Std., and I'm happy I get the tone I get with it (lots of bark and bite).

I also played the Egnater Rebel 20 again (first time was on Saturday). I've got to say, this little amp puts out great tone. Can't really get a bad tone out of it.

So, to end the evening, I ask the guy how much for the stack and the DXMG. I think he said something like $2500 for both (basically, buy the stack and the DXMG gets thrown in for free).

I ask can I get the DXMG out the door for $250 (no case, but it does have the whammy bar). Remember, Nashville has sales tax of almost 10%. They come back with $262.19. I say done deal.

So what have I learned?

1) DXMG with EMG-HZs sounds pretty damn good. Jackson imports are done as nicely as my SL2H.

2) I still love Silver Jubilees. 4x10's rock.

3) The Egnater Rebel 20 puts out some good tone.

So why didn't you buy the Silver Jubilee?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

the reason the LP's sounded muffled compared to the DXMG is that Gibson is using 330k pots instead of the standard 500k pots. why, i'll never understand. but if you changed them out, the LP's would sound F'in Killer!
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

DonP, can you talk about the little egnator 20 a little more? There is a lot of buzz about this little amp and it is starting to spark my interest

Comment

I had the 50 Watt Silver Jubilee full stack (Small size)...Only my cabs we loaded with off set 2x12's...I wasn't aware of the 4x10's...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by sevser View Post
              I had the 50 Watt Silver Jubilee full stack (Small size)...Only my cabs we loaded with off set 2x12's...I wasn't aware of the 4x10's...
              Shit - I didn't check - I forgot cabs came both ways. I guess I'll go back.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Because I didn't want to grab my ankles

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                  Because I'm a pussy

Seriously,

I have 100 Watt Mashall Iron from 1979 at home. I built a TSL back in 1990 before Marshall ever thought of it. It had a Mesa lead channel, a 2203 Crunch, and a Fender Clean. I drilled the front panel just like a TSL years before there was a TSL.

I used relays (like 8 of them) for channel switching. It was noisey when channel switching so I decided to rebuild it using something other than relays. I took it apart and never rebuilt it. Been in my basement ever since.

I guess it's about time I finished the project. Listening to that amp last night was very motivational. This time I think I'll use the Silver Jubilee circuit for the crunch channel.

Comment

I loved mine...I had to "fire sale" it though...Women...

Think I sold if for $1200.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                      the reason the LP's sounded muffled compared to the DXMG is that Gibson is using 330k pots instead of the standard 500k pots. why, i'll never understand. but if you changed them out, the LP's would sound F'in Killer!
                      I've swapped out pots on a couple of LPs at home, but not my 2002 Std. because it was already too bright.

If this LP has the same pots as my 2002, then what is the difference?

This 2007 LP was a chambered lightweight, and mine at home is swiss cheese (but more solid at least). I think the hollowed out body is a big factor.

My unmodified LP should have the same pots (unless they changed stuff from 2002 to 2007).

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                        DonP, can you talk about the little egnator 20 a little more? There is a lot of buzz about this little amp and it is starting to spark my interest
                        I'll bump up the old thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                          Not true.

I've measured and swapped MANY Gibson pots, both linear and audio taper, and yes, there are variations due to sloppy tolerances and sometimes low quality (although they've been using CTS on all Historics since 2006 I believe), but they are all "meant" to be 500K.

Comment

Originally posted by surfreak View Post
                            Not true.

I've measured and swapped MANY Gibson pots, both linear and audio taper, and yes, there are variations due to sloppy tolerances and sometimes low quality (although they've been using CTS on all Historics since 2006 I believe), but they are all "meant" to be 500K.
                            Well, I'll pop the back cover off of my 2002 tonight and we'll see.

Comment

i've got a 2006 Flying V that came stock with CTS 333k pots, sounded muffled. replaced them with 500k CTS pots and now i love the stock pups in there.

after doing some research i've found that most newer gibsons come stock with CTS pots around the 330k range.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X