Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HIWATT amplification

Gooday all,

Been spending some time reading through heaps and heaps of threads and there is a lot of excellent info on here..

Anyways, you guys in the state don't seem to speak about HIWATT amps much. For those of you know not in the know, the amps that the Who and Pink Floyd and a host of others used...

I myself must say the HIWATT HI GAIN is an excellent all tube amp with crushing tone and crisp cleans. I am in love and a bit surprised that no matter which forum I visit, no-one seems to speak about these excellent amps.

Anybody else out there a fan?

I've only played with Custom 100 for a little bit but I absolutely loved it.

btw. how's the weather down there? you guys have a summer there right now you lucky bastards
    Last edited by Endrik; 01-23-2009, 07:40 AM.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

They are great amps for Who and Pink Floyd tone. I wouldn't exactly call the tone crushing... I would call it vintage or great for classic to hard rock. Not a good choice for metal unless you are using outboard processing.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
        They are great amps for Who and Pink Floyd tone. I wouldn't exactly call the tone crushing... I would call it vintage or great for classic to hard rock. Not a good choice for metal unless you are using outboard processing.
        I think he is talking about the new HI GAIN series amps
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
          I think he is talking about the new HI GAIN series amps

Got it... I was thinking about the old 120w 1 channel heads.

Comment

Originally posted by maluco View Post
            For those of you know not in the know, the amps that the Who and Pink Floyd and a host of others used...

Not many Who or Pink Floyd fans on this forum as John already mentioned. Probably why these amps aren't mentioned very often.

I'll give them a try when I go into a GC next.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Not many Who or Pink Floyd fans on this forum
              what?:think:

Comment

i'd love to have a hi-watt. i think they sound awesome. quite expensive though.
                GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                  what?:think:
                  I agree. Wat?
                  :think::think:

I'm a huge fan of The Who, and I do love me some Floyd too I must say.
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

what?
                    EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
                    1959Epiphone les paul
                    george L cables
                    mxr pedals
                    Engl fireball 100

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      I agree. Wat?
                      :think::think:

I'm a huge fan of The Who, and I do love me some Floyd too I must say.
                      A what from here as well! I think you'll find lots of Floyd and Who love on this forum!

I like the older amps, as they certainly give you lots of clean headroom, which I like. They are testicle moving loud and built like tanks.

So on that note - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUbGLVvfB7Y and for good measure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2hFZ8KnsSo
                      Last edited by shobet; 01-24-2009, 04:53 AM.
                      Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

What about SOUND CITY??

Comment

Yea, if anyone owns one of those piece of shit Hiwatts, do yourself a favor and ship that sucker to me. I'll keep it under lock and key so that no one else has to suffer.
                          "POOP"

Comment

He's back!
                            Fwopping, you know you want to!

VI VI VI: the editor of the Beast!

There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary. Those who do and those who don't.

Comment

If I ever hit the lotto, I'm getting one of these specifically for recording cleans and leads.
                              Dreaded Silence - Boston Melancholic Metal

Comment

Working...
                              X