No announcement yet.

low wattage tube amp thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boogie Mark V. Can run in 10 watts, has an effects loop, el34/6L6 (probably 6V6 too) and lots of sounds. Not that expensive when you consider what it can do.

Comment

Have you got a link to the mark V? why the hell is it so hard to find?

okay I found the web site, no $ price yet. Probably a testicle, an eye and 2 feet
      Last edited by phill_up; 01-25-2009, 11:07 PM.

Comment

I found a picture of the back of the blackstar. It says Made in Korea. Also looking at it, it looks like it only has a tube preamp. Don't know if that makes a difference. It does sound good to me on the clips on youtube.

Comment

It has a 12ax7 pre and a 12bh7 power tube, using the dual triodes in a push pull config I think. Not that I'm reading up and jonesin' bad for one, nope.

Comment

anyone check out the JSX mini colossal. I see that you can connect a cabinet to it.

Comment

Ok it maybe korean I thought they were mic for some reason but my valveking 212 is mic and is pretty damm sturdy...

Comment

I'd recommend 22 watt Deluxe Reverb, great for everything from country and blues to hard rock... not a brutal metal amp but with pedals you can get great variety of tones.

It's the main amp for a local young guitar wiz over here, he does tons of session work, plays in clubs, on tv etc. uses mostly vintage teles, strats, lp's and es-355 type of guitars and pretty much all the time he uses Deluxe Reverb.. and every single time he sounds incredible, when he plays harder rock then the tone has plenty of balls.

It's just a suggestion, try it out, maybe you like it. Also try all kinds of pedals with it.

Btw. here's 2 clips of him playing with Deluxe Reverb and mostly using a tele

"There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I have a vintage '67 Deluxe Reverb.
                  Yes, it does take pedals great, but it is LOUD.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                    I have a vintage '67 Deluxe Reverb.
                    Yes, it does take pedals great, but it is LOUD.
                    yeah, but you don't have to turn it up loud
                    it works well on bedroom levels too in my opinion
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I'm really not wanting to go under 20 - 25 watts. I would still like to have the power to run 2x12" vintage 30 cab. You guys ever here of these amps?

Comment

Don't worry about being able to run a cab. My 18 watter ran a 4X12 V30 cab no problem. That thing was loud as fuck.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I have found a few others.
                          Dr. Z Mini Z $749.oo
                          15 watt orange tiny terror $699 retail/$549 street
                          John Suhr Badger 18 Head $1750.
                          these guys http://www.emerysound.com/Ordering.html
                          and... http://www.torresengineering.com/maktubam.html
                          Laney Lionheart L20H 20Watt $899

Comment

Tube watts are loud, even if it's just a one-watt amp.
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I don't even bother with all these watt numbers when it comes to loudness... I care about those numbers when I want to play with an amp which starts to distort really fast (low wattage) or has a lot of headroom (a lot of watts)

Comment

nobody has mentioned the epiphone valve jr. (5 blistering watts)i picked up a half stack recently and although right now it sounds too "vintage" or classic rock with a tubecreamer in front of it it ain't all that bad. It gives a nice overdriven saturation when driven by the tubescreamer, and there seem to be ton's of mods available. after I mod mine i'll let you guys know how it turned out....
                                Guitars:
                                Jackson DK2M Blue Bengal
                                Jackson PS-4
                                Charvel CX 390
                                Gibson Les Paul Studio
                                Gibson Les Paul Jr. Pro
                                Gibson Les Paul Special
                                '56 Gibson J160E
                                Galveston Acrylic Strat
                                couple of other oddities

Amps:
                                Vox AC100CPH