low wattage tube amp thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low wattage tube amp thread

I keep jumping from thread to thread on the egnator rebel 20 to the carr amps. I really like the idea of the rebel 20 with the mixture of 6v6s and el34s but the quality concerns me and I dont have $600 to throw away.

You have these guys http://www.marshamps.com/Gallery/

theres this little amp http://www.carramps.com/hammerheadmk2.html this little guy is really pricey

I wish I could get the sound of a jcm 800/900 in a lower wattage amp (just the head, not a combo) Is there any others yuo guys can think of?

Blackstar HT-5 head and combo's are pretty ncie lil amps, and the isf control can make it sound tighter and more american ala mesa or looser and more brittish ala marshall..

Very nice amps

Comment

Not a JCM sound, but the El Diablo in triode mode (30W) gives a very nice Class A sound even at low volumes.

I imagine that you could build your own JCM clone and change the power amp section to only run at 12W or 25W.

Although, you have to consider how much of the JCM sound is due to the volume.
      Scott

Comment

THD makes some low-watt amps where you can swap out preamp and poweramp tubes. I've got a Univalve and really dig it. http://www.thdelectronics.com/amp_sub_page.html

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd try out the Crate V series amps....ya can't beat the price!
          Personally I like the V18 best, but I am biased LOL
          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
            I'd try out the Crate V series amps....ya can't beat the price!
            Personally I like the V18 best, but I am biased LOL
            +1
            I've got the Crate V33 head I've done some mods to and I'm really happy with it. I've owned alot of little tube amps like the Crate 508 and Palimino V8, Fender Blues Jr, Fender Super Champ XD, Peavey Royal 8, Epiphone Valve Jr, Epiphone Galaxy 10, etc and the Crate V series is definately the best bang for the buck IMO.

Another really good one I like but you're getting in the price range of the Egnator Rebel is the Orange Tiny Terror. I played one of those recently and it blew me away!

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
              +1
              I've got the Crate V33 head I've done some mods to and I'm really happy with it. I've owned alot of little tube amps like the Crate 508 and Palimino V8, Fender Blues Jr, Fender Super Champ XD, Peavey Royal 8, Epiphone Valve Jr, Epiphone Galaxy 10, etc and the Crate V series is definately the best bang for the buck IMO.

Another really good one I like but you're getting in the price range of the Egnator Rebel is the Orange Tiny Terror. I played one of those recently and it blew me away!
              How were the Super Champ and the Royal 8? I'm gonna ask for a small tube amp for my birthday and those are the only two I've seen here.
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Although, you have to consider how much of the JCM sound is due to the volume.
                that is true. those bastards start coming alive with volume.
                THD makes some low-watt amps
                I totally forgot about those. taking a look right now. thanks guys if you have any more ideas post them!

Comment

I ought to just be quiet.

This is exactly the goal I had in mind when building the Cygnus amp.
                  One came out perfect.
                  Another one is good enough.

They are around, if you look.

Comment

Don't you be quiet! If you know something I would like to hear about it

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                      How were the Super Champ and the Royal 8? I'm gonna ask for a small tube amp for my birthday and those are the only two I've seen here.

The Super Champ XD amps are killer! The Royal 8 was better than the Valve Jr but not as good as the Crates or the Super Champ. The Super Champ would definately be my pick out of the two for sure! I will say that the Royal 8 didn't sound that great running through the stock speaker but I hooked it up to a Mesa 4x12 cab and it sounded freaking killer. It's a one trick pony though if you know what I mean.

Comment

Okay, thanks for your opinion. They have those at a local store and they're in my price range. Unfortunately they didn't have any Super Champs hooked up, just out on display. I'll ask the guy I always deal with to hook one up for me. Maybe he'll get another sale. He's the only guy in the store who gives free stuff with bigger purchases (He gave me a case with my last guitar because it was a special run that didn't have one with it unlike all the other Fenders) and he's actually helpful and he doesn't recommend the same stuff over and over again like the other guys.

Unfortunately the only store that sold Crate stopped selling them and now only sells Peavey, Kustom, Marshall and Ibanez amps and they overprice everything.
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,
                        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by phill_up View Post
                          Don't you be quiet! If you know something I would like to hear about it
                          Posting sound clips here is not an option, even for a platinum member. I have an account with Soundclick, but TBH, it absolutely sux.
                          Suggest a better, free, easier to use site for posting sound clips (that won't spam me in return), and I will do it.

I have heard good reviews on Fender and Vox modellers.
                          I have played the Vox Valvetronix and Line 6.
                          My personal opinion is...modellers just don't cut it.
                          They sound great for a while, but have no touch to them.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            THD makes some low-watt amps where you can swap out preamp and poweramp tubes. I've got a Univalve and really dig it. http://www.thdelectronics.com/amp_sub_page.html

http://www.thdamps.com/
                            Ditto. My tubes give me a very early 80s hard rock/metal sound in my THD (5751-7025-6V6).

Comment

Have you heard the Vox Night Train? I played a little bit with it at NAMM and it's going to just kill the Tiny Terror.... Kool Amp!
                              Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Working...
                              X