ADA MP-1 Users - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA MP-1 Users - Question

Just picked up an ADA MP-1 and was looking through the manual on ADAdepot.com. I saw a comment to make sure the switch is not on "line Level" if the ADA is being connected to a power amp. The manual states the switch is located on the top panel and should be moved towards the rear panel for line level. Where in the hell is this switch? Is it inside the unit?
    Also, never used effects loops before. Can someone provide me with the correct cable hookups to send the ADA into my Marshall amp effects loop? Right now I am just sending the ADA's output to the input of the Marshall. Sound s good, but I would like to hear the difference in the effects loop.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

adadepot.com has alot of info there as well as a forum dedicated to everything ADA...
    I had an MP-2 but it's been a few years and I cant recall how i had it hooked up.:think: Well I know how i had it hooked up, but I dont think I ever used the FX loop.
    I think there was a button that was either "Line" or "Instrument", one of which is louder than the other. My Engl preamp has that feature as well, but I couldn't tell you at the moment what I have mine on.
    I can check for you though.

There's a few guys one here using the MP-1 and MP-2, so I'm certain that they can and will help you out with yours.

Those ADA's have one of the most beautiful clean sounds ever, and I regret selling mine to this day because of that.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
      Just picked up an ADA MP-1 and was looking through the manual on ADAdepot.com. I saw a comment to make sure the switch is not on "line Level" if the ADA is being connected to a power amp. The manual states the switch is located on the top panel and should be moved towards the rear panel for line level. Where in the hell is this switch? Is it inside the unit?
      Also, never used effects loops before. Can someone provide me with the correct cable hookups to send the ADA into my Marshall amp effects loop? Right now I am just sending the ADA's output to the input of the Marshall. Sound s good, but I would like to hear the difference in the effects loop.
      Thanks in advance for the help.

The switch is literally in the "top" of the preamp. You can't access it if it's in a full rack. If you had the unit sitting on the floor outside of a rack, you would see the switch when you look down on the unit. Hope that helps...

-Kenn

Comment

I did some internet searching and found that the earlier MP-1's had the line level switch and the later units did not.
        Thanks for the help!!!

Any help on hooking it to the Marshall effects loop??

Comment

Any help on hooking it to the Marshall effects loop??
          Assuming your Marshall has an effects loop, you just plug the ADA1 into the line in / return, instead of plugging it into the amp's instrument jack on the front.

Comment

Or if you just want to use the Marshall as the power amp only, plug the output from the Mp1 into the return on your effects loop. This will bypass the preamp in the Marshall.
            Congrats on the new Mp1, I've been a Mp1 user for years
            Don

Comment

I might have to check the Marshall TSL60's effects loop. I have a cable going from the output of the ADA into the return of the Marshall and the ADA does not do anything. I adjusted the output level of the ADA and the output level on the front of the Marshall that controls the FX mix and no ADA effect. I don't think there is a problem with the effects loop because it worked with an Alesis quadraverb. And the ADA works fine connected straight into the input of the Marshall. Are you as Confused as I am?

Comment

Maybe the TSL has a switch that disables the loop return if nothing is plugged into the send? Just a guess.
                Scott

Comment

Don't run it in the loop...it's a preamp, not an "effect". Run it directly into the effects loop return, that way you are bypassing the Marshall's preamp and only using the power amp.

Comment

The MP1's FX loop should have an Output knob.

Are you wanting to use the ADA as the preamp for the Marshall or are you trying to use the MP1's Effects and the Marshall's preamp?

I can tell you, the MP1's Chorus is nothing to write home about.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Also, is there a Master Volume on the Marshall? You should have the Channel volumes and a Master Volume as well as the FX loop volume/mix.

Turn the Master Volume up.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbone View Post
                        Or if you just want to use the Marshall as the power amp only, plug the output from the Mp1 into the return on your effects loop. This will bypass the preamp in the Marshall.
                        Congrats on the new Mp1, I've been a Mp1 user for years

This is exactly how I ran mine through my JCM900 head and it worked really well. Alex Skolnick ran his through the main input of the amp but I found that far too noisy.
                        www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

Depends on how you set each preamp. You could use the MP1 as a boost for the amp (defeating the purpose of having the ADA to begin with ) or use the amp as an "afterboost" (again defeating the purpose of having either one when pedals would suffice).

Comment

I did some internet searching and found that the earlier MP-1's had the line level switch and the later units did not.
                            Thanks for the help!!!
                            This is exactly correct. I bought my MP-1 brand new back in 1987 and it has the switch on top. Later ones didn't have this switch and I believe if I recall corectly those later ones had a slightly different input/output knob. Just some MP-1 trivia
                            I have since picked up another used MP-1 with the intention of modding it. May original MP-1 from 1987 is in too a nice a shape to mod it.
                            ulijdavid, are you going to keep yours stock or have it modded?
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

Rudy,
                              For the moment I am going to keep it stock. I bought the Marshall TSL60 because I wanted to simplify. I just wanted a guitar, a cord, and amp. At bedroom type volumes, the Marshall has a good tube distortion, but without really pushing the volume, the notes don't seem to "sing" or last - you can't just dig in and enjoy the note. So, I was going back to my 80's roots and thinking of putting a rack set-up back together. I do have an ADA B200S power amp, but the solid state just sounds sterile. When I hooked the ADA MP-1 to the Marshall (only through the clean channel of course) the sound was AWESOME!!! So, I am actually thinking of getting a Mesa Boogie 20/20 or finding a Marshall 20/20.
                              Let me know if you do a mod to the MP-1. I see there are a lot of different mods out there. I would be interested to hear the differences. Until then, I just plan on changing the tubes. Its a 20 year old unit off of the bay. God only knows the last time the tubes were changed.

Still having absolutely no luck with the effects loop. F*ck it!!! I like the sound I'm getting.

Comment

Working...
                              X