No announcement yet.

ADA MP-1 Users - Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check the ADA Depot - I think they have some stuff with the various mods and how they sound.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by ulijdavid View Post
      I might have to check the Marshall TSL60's effects loop. I have a cable going from the output of the ADA into the return of the Marshall and the ADA does not do anything. I adjusted the output level of the ADA and the output level on the front of the Marshall that controls the FX mix and no ADA effect. I don't think there is a problem with the effects loop because it worked with an Alesis quadraverb. And the ADA works fine connected straight into the input of the Marshall. Are you as Confused as I am?
      Does the Loop on the amp work when you plug anything else into the Return? Try plugging the guitar straight into the Return to see if it works. As was stated, it may be set up to only work if there's something in the Send as well (which would fit with the traditional/theoretical definition of a "loop", but would be quite odd for a modern amp).
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I will check the return/send idea - the idea that it may not work unless both are used sounds like something the British would do. No offense to those on the other side of the pond, but I had an MGB a long time ago, and I don't believe the british and electrical wiring play well together!!!

Comment

Comment

I had a 62 MGA and the wiring looked like a 2 year old did it.I can relate to that.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Problem solved. Thanks for everyones input. I hooked up the guitar straight to the return and the loop worked. I then connected the ADA to the return and nothing. Now I was pissed off and said screw it and pulled the plug from the return and put it back into the input of the Marshall. NOTHING!!! What the hell!! So, I pulled the plug out of the ADA and put it back in. SOUND. Pulled the plug out of the Marshall input and put it back into the return. I now have sound from the ADA and through the Marshall. With the ADA being so old and probably sitting in someones closet for years, I think there is some gunk built up on the output jack connections. I think when I replace the tube in the ADA I will clean up the input jacks. Once again, thanks to everyone. Now I have to figure out which setup sounds better.

Comment

Oh yeah.....An apology goes out to all the Brits.

Comment

You might also have a prong in one of the jacks (barrel-style) that is bent. That's a fairly common problem as I understand from the 'Depot. Basically when the 1/4" plug tilts from gravity it bends up one of the prongs inside the jack, causing an intermittent connection. Pushing it back down with a pencil seems to be the common fix.

And the MP1 actually has 2 tubes, so you'll be replacing tubes, not just one. I think one's for the Compressor and the other is for the Distortion.

Comment

Ok I'm in the same boat any tube recommendations - if it matters I like gobs of gain. I haven't cracked it open yet, but size wise I'm thinking 12ax7r ? Also is there anywhere local(in the US) to get the 3tm?
                    Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I've tried a few different brands of tubes in my Mp1, and so far the JJ 12ax7s have had the most gain. The GT 12ax7's a little harsher to me (the gold, haven't tried the silver) aren't to bad either. I have a pair of Tung Sols on order that will be going in next. I have heard they work well also.
                      As far as I know the only place to get the 3TM mod is from MarshallJMP.
                      http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/
                      But that's not in the US...
                      Don

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbone View Post
                        I've tried a few different brands of tubes in my Mp1, and so far the JJ 12ax7s have had the most gain. The GT 12ax7's a little harsher to me (the gold, haven't tried the silver) aren't to bad either. I have a pair of Tung Sols on order that will be going in next. I have heard they work well also.
                        As far as I know the only place to get the 3TM mod is from MarshallJMP.
                        http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/
                        But that's not in the US...
                        I have the stock Sovtek 12ax7s in my Marshall JMP-1. When I discovered that Tung sols blew away the stock JJ preamp tubes in my Uber, I had to try them in the JMP-1. That unit is a pain in the ass to get into, but it was worth the discovery. The JJ's sound so weak and thin in the JMP-1 and Bogner. To my surprise, the Sovteks actually sound much better IMO. So I popped in two TS and they didn't sound that far removed from the Sovteks..just a tad more gain, output and warmth. I don't think most people would notice since I owned and played it for 13 years now. I want to order two more Tung Sols for the Marshall, just to have when the Sovteks actually do take a dump.

Verdict..I personally hate JJ 12ax7s in both my Bogner and Marshall.
                        "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                        Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                          I have the stock Sovtek 12ax7s in my Marshall JMP-1. When I discovered that Tung sols blew away the stock JJ preamp tubes in my Uber, I had to try them in the JMP-1. That unit is a pain in the ass to get into, but it was worth the discovery. The JJ's sound so weak and thin in the JMP-1 and Bogner. To my surprise, the Sovteks actually sound much better IMO. So I popped in two TS and they didn't sound that far removed from the Sovteks..just a tad more gain, output and warmth. I don't think most people would notice since I owned and played it for 13 years now. I want to order two more Tung Sols for the Marshall, just to have when the Sovteks actually do take a dump.

Verdict..I personally hate JJ 12ax7s in both my Bogner and Marshall.
                          Good to hear that your liking the Tung Sols I'm anxious to try them out.
                          The JJ's have to much gain for my taste, maybe that sounds crazy... I'm looking for a little less gain, and a little more warmth. Sounds like the Tung Sols may fit the bill
                          Don

Comment

Working...
                          X