Triple Rectifier gain loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Rectifier gain loss

I just replaced all the tubes in my 3 channel Triple Rectifier with new tubes from Mesa Boogie. I turned the amp on and immediately blew a fuse. After a bit of trial and error and tube swapping from new back to old, I realized it was a bad rectifier tube.

Since then, there has been a dramatic loss of gain in all three channels. To put it in perspective, Channel 3 in the modern setting with the gain at 2 o'clock sounds like Malcolm Young's slightly distorted rhythm guitar, which is a great tone, don't get me wrong, but not what I bought a Triple Rec for.

I opened the amp up and checked for burned components, cold solder joints, etc., but couldn't find anything. I checked the bias with my bias probe and it seems to be normal.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

Not a MESA guy, but I think I'd go back over the preamp tubes again... All three channels like that? May be the No.1 tube? Or maybe there is an internal issue from the rectifier tube going south.

Comment

sounds like preamp tubes

Comment

I swapped out all the preamp tubes with new ones, and then checked them one by one with old ones which weren't bad tubes in the first place. I'm going to have to bring it in to a tech, I guess.

Comment

Well, that sucks. Good luck with that man...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
            Well, that sucks. Good luck with that man...
            Thanks, man.

Comment

Working...
            X