Amps with 5 tone knobs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amps with 5 tone knobs?

Are there any guitar amps which have 5 tone knobs instead of 3? (and I'm not talking about Mesa's Mark type of amps which have a normal set of controls and a 5-band EQ). There would be controls for bass, low mid, mid, high mid and treble. Like in SWR Marcus Miller signature bass amp for example. I've always though that it would be great because with low mids you can controll the thickness and fatness of the tone and with the high mids the overtones/sizzle/scream effect. Many amps have presence knob but this idea would give the player a lot more options.
    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Tone knobs tend to suck out "tone", don't they?

I've always wondered why tube amp snobs turn their nose up at anything much more than a single "tone" knob anyways.
    If I knew how to pop in a cheap and effective 7 band EQ, I'd do it.

Comment

well some amps with one knob are very good... they sound great no matter what you plug in... and the character of the instrument comes out really well... great player's amps but not suitable for every situation in my opinion.
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I wish more amp manufacturers would be parametric/shelving EQ in their amps.

Comment

btw. here's the Marcus Miller's bass amp to give you the idea what I have in mind

SWR has partnered with Marcus Miller - arguably the most influential bassist of his generation -- to create the ultimate tool for bassists. Or as Marcus call...

SWR has partnered with Marcus Miller - arguably the most influential bassist of his generation -- to create the ultimate tool for bassists. Or as Marcus call...

Comment

Sadly I think even the top of the line boutique stuff will only have 3 eq knobs, but I agree with you - 5 is better.

That's why I use a rack - total tonal versatility without the limitations. I don't have to "work with the amp" - my gear works FOR me, like owned property should.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think 5 would be a cool option and using it wouldn't take a lot of time if you quickly need to rock out. It wouldn't differ much from the 3 knob version but the hi and low mid functions would give you pretty much your desired tone without much compromise.
              For example some dudes like really bright tone but it can get thin a lot of times but with low mid control they can make it thicker. I'm a fan of darker tone but with hi mid knob I could dial in just the right amount of shizzle so all the squals and harmonics would sound good.

Comment

I think when you get more than 3 knobs, you are talking graphic eq like Mesa Mark series had, or run an EQ in the effects loop. Then you are limited only by the number of choices of eq's that are out there.

It's like they give you three knobs because that's enough for most people to get by with. The realize if you want more, get an EQ.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                  I think when you get more than 3 knobs, you are talking graphic eq like Mesa Mark series had, or run an EQ in the effects loop. Then you are limited only by the number of choices of eq's that are out there.

It's like they give you three knobs because that's enough for most people to get by with. The realize if you want more, get an EQ.
                  no, what I have in mind are easy and simple tone shaping controls... so many simple amps have all kinds of different added features... like "Fat" or "depth" buttons and whatnot.... why not make an amp where you can control those parameters in a simple way but with enough variety.

I'd like to keep it simple... they layout would be

Bass, Low Mid, Mid, Hi Mid, Treble, Gain, Volume/Master and that's it.

Comment

Carvin makes the V3 which has master bright, mid-cut and deep controls for all three channels. Each channel also has a separate EQ expander toggle switch as well as a three-way toggle switch for three different tonal modes. I've got one and really dig it. It's not totally what you want, but I think it's close enough.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X