• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
    According to the manual as listed,

2 ohm hotplate = 2 4 ohm cab
    4 ohm hotplate = 2 8 ohm cab
    8 ohm hotplate = 2 16 ohm cab

You would assume 16 ohm hotplate = 2 32 ohm cab.

But if you can do a pair of 16's going into a 16 ohm hotplate being plugged into 8 ohms on the amp, then that works for me.
    According to the manual, you can't do that. I'm sure it would work okay, but it would work the amp harder and possibly damage it. Amp must match hotplate, which must match speakers. You'd need two 32 ohm cabs, or an 8 ohm hotplate and two 16 ohm cabs.
    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
      I really don't think its quite that bad. I just saw Paul Gilbert live with Racer X two weeks ago and his Rhoads Marshall was running through a THD Hot Plate. The tone sounded damn fine to me

Attenuation is fine in moderation. I am sure you didn't see Paul Gilbert live in your house. He was probably at a venue and turned up unless.. of course... you an Paul have something going on that I don't want to know about!

Comment

now I'm very confused.
        I posted what the manual says but I dug up an old email I sent Ed DeGarnaro (owner of THD I presume) and he had told me that if you have an 8 ohm Hotplate and you want to run 2 8 ohm cabs into it, just use the 4 ohm out from your amp into the hotplate.
        so if you had a 16 ohm hotplate and 2 16 ohm cabs plugged into the Hotplate you set your head to 8 ohms and you'll be OK.
        that sounds logical to me,
        but that's not what the manual says so I emailed him this question again
        last night and he gave me a "yes indeedy, that is correct" answer.

Now I'm confused, and I ve actually been doing this with my Mesa Mark III and my 6505+ head for a while now.(sounds great)
        I hope I'm not toasting my amps doing this (I doubt it since I'm running the amps on like 3 anyway) but I'll be pretty pissed if I am.

I emailed him again tonight to "Please clarify" and I'm waiting for his reply.
        I'll post it up here when I get it.
        If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post

Attenuation is fine in moderation. I am sure you didn't see Paul Gilbert live in your house. He was probably at a venue and turned up unless.. of course... you an Paul have something going on that I don't want to know about!
          I never said I was attenuating my Marshall down to bedroom volumes, just that I can play it at home
          As far as Paul Gilbert, I'm simply trying to convert him...to Jacksons that is
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Got an 8 ohm and a 16 ohm, I can't even remember if I ever even used the 16 ohm sence I got it! The 8 ohm is always hooked up to two 16 ohm Marshall cabs. I'm looking for a used 4 ohm right now.

Comment

Working...
            X