Boss GT-10 Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss GT-10 Opinions

I picked up a GT-10 a week ago and I'm looking for opinions on what to play it through. My thoughts so far are to replace my Vetta with a nice clean tube amp ( Fender most likely ), buy a cheaper stereo solid state power amp and keep the Vetta, or sell the Vetta to afford a nicer stereo tube power amp. Any opinions on this?

For those of you with GT series pedals, what are you playing them through?

Thanks!

How about the Full Range/Full Response setups? I know JGCable was working on one. John, if you read this, how did that turn out with the GT-8? How would one of the Crown or Carvin PA power amps work for that with a Marshall 1960AV? Is that even a viable option? Are there any stereo solid state guitar power amps still in production that have at least 100 watts a side?

Comment

I'm surprised there are no responses here when I know quite a few members have GT-10s. If you have a GT-10, what are you running it through? What are the pros and cons of your setup? Thanks!

Comment

I use headphones as my VS1880 needs a repair or replacing..
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

most people using the GT-8 or GT-10 are using it with a tube amp that has a distortion channel that they like and are doing the 4 cable method. i have a buddy that gets a great sound with the GT-8 and his XXX head and recto cab.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

That was another one of the things I was thinking about, but the amp would only be for home use. The other guitarist in my band hooks his POD+ Live up to the PA, I was doing the same with my GNX until the buttons crapped out. With the 4 cable method, you can use either the amps distortion or bypass the amps pre-amp, right?

Comment

yes.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Sometimes Sam Ash will have a $100 off of any purchase over $399.00
                You can walk out with a GT-10 for $421.00 including tax! Its worth
                $800.00 imo!
                In this vid, i only have about 15% ADA in this tone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l439Fjezy1I

Here is a nice clean tone, although i know have about a 50% better tone, with
                the Gmajor in the system. Im always searching..:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K8JC335PAA

Running thru this... plus 2 Crate 2/12 cabs for the right channel...so i have
                true stereo! VHT 2/90/2 Stereo 90 watt tube amp

Last edited by Robert Burns; 02-07-2009, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeWhoIs View Post
                  How about the Full Range/Full Response setups? I know JGCable was working on one. John, if you read this, how did that turn out with the GT-8? How would one of the Crown or Carvin PA power amps work for that with a Marshall 1960AV? Is that even a viable option? Are there any stereo solid state guitar power amps still in production that have at least 100 watts a side?

When I finally had my FRFR setup dialed in I brought it to band rehearsal.
                  Here were the rigs....

Rocktron Velocity 300 Power amp
                  Boss GT-8
                  Marshall 1960B running T75's in stereo
                  This was set up as a true stereo rig

I also had the exact same rig but with a Carvin T-100 power amp instead

Carvin Legacy
                  Marshall 1960B running T-75's in mono

Carvin V3
                  Marshall 1960A running T75's in mono

Tone wise... I thought they were all great

Veratility wise... GT-8 rig of course had the edge

Ability to cut through a live loud mix...
                  #1. Carvin Legacy rig
                  #2. Carvin V3 rig
                  #3. Tie between both GT-8 rigs. I would give the slight edge to the Velocity 300 over the T100 because it was louder and cleaner sounding.

"Realness sounding"

#1. Carvin Legacy. It is organic, a little on the dark side but you can't hear any digital in it at all BECAUSE ITS ALL TUBES.
                  #2. Carvin V3. It has a touch of that high gain sizzle that I would compare to a Rectifier or a modded JCM800. It sounds like there might be some rectifier or diodes in there somewhere. Its a fantastic sounding amp. I just like the Legacy better.
                  #3. Both GT-8 rigs sound real until they are sitting next to the real thing.
                  This is where you can hear the digitalness.

Here is the trick to getting a GT-8/10 to sound exactly like a tube amp.

You need to have a band that will allow you to spend hours dialing it in at rehearsal while the band is playing. Thats a tough one.
                  If your bandmates can put up with you spending hours of rehearsal to dial your sound in you will have a killer rig.
                  If they won't (and believe me.. thats a tough one..) it will be difficult.

With that said... I love the GT-8 and GT-10 but I found myself doing more tweaking and less playing. With my Legacy, or the V3 or the 5150II its just plug in a go. The only effects I use are a Boss CH3, a Lil Alligator volume pedal, a crybaby and a crummy Zoom delay pedal. 95% of the time the only effects that are actually on is a touch of delay and the volume pedal that is in the loop, so technically I am running pretty dry.
                  The less "shmutz" you have live the better it sounds.

Of course, if you only play at home, go with the modeling rigs.

Comment

Thanks for the links Robert! I was trying to find your videos a few days ago with no luck. If I had the money for a VHT power amp I would be all over it!

Thanks for the info John! The other guitar player in the cover band I'm playing with just plugs his Floor POD Plus into the PA. I tried the GT-10 onto the PA last night at practice and I was very impressed with the cleans and the medium gain tones, but I need to spend time dialing in a high gain tone. All of the stock high gains sound like there is a wah on all the time and there isn't any "chug" to the palm mutes. I like the idea of going into the PA because it's less to drag around.

Comment

Thanks for the links Robert! I was trying to find your videos a few days ago with no luck. If I had the money for a VHT power amp I would be all over it!

Thanks for the info John! The other guitar player in the cover band I'm playing with just plugs his Floor POD Plus into the PA. I tried the GT-10 onto the PA last night at practice and I was very impressed with the cleans and the medium gain tones, but I need to spend time dialing in a high gain tone. All of the stock high gains sound like there is a wah on all the time and there isn't any "chug" to the palm mutes. I like the idea of going into the PA because it's less to drag around.
                      *** Oh my God! Someone actually was "Looking" for my vids??
                      You need some serious help son! :-)

Comment

Can't do that in the clubs we play at. Usually there is not enough monitor spread. To plug in directly you really need a PA system with the ability to provide seperate monitor mixes. Most of the clubs we play in don't have that ability.
                        I know that modeling is extremely versatile and cool as all heck but you and the soundman really need to know what you are doing live.
                        With a traditional tube amp its simply plug in and play. Just stick a mic in front of a speaker and you are good to go. Even a bonehead soundman and a simple no frills PA system can handle that.

Comment

GT8 + 4CM + Marshall DSL50 and I'm very happy!

Using the 8 fro FX + OD only!
                          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I just wish that Boss would hire this guy to set up every GT-10 like
                            this BEFORE it left the factory! Man..does he have some bad ass
                            stuff loaded! This my friends...is what the Boss GT-10 is capable of!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNtty...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                              I just wish that Boss would hire this guy to set up every GT-10 like
                              this BEFORE it left the factory! Man..does he have some bad ass
                              stuff loaded! This my friends...is what the Boss GT-10 is capable of!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNtty...eature=related

Yea, those are some cool patches and set ups. The GT-8/10 really shines when playing to pre-recorded backing tracks live or when in a 1 guitar band.

The shortcoming of a live modeling rig is apparent when one guitar player is using modeling and the other is using all tube.
                              For example.... my buddy was in a Godsmack tribute band. He was using a Vetta II with Mesa Boogie oversized 4 x 12 cab live. He gets incredible sound but he had a terrible time hearing himself over his bandmates Marshall TSL100 1/2 stack. He then decided to bring his Mesa Dual Rectifier instead and had no problem hearing himself at all. He still prefers the Vetta and uses it live but thats because he is now in a 1 guitar band.
                              I experienced the same thing live. I loved the sound of my modeling rigs but I had a hard time hearing them live. It seems to me that most.. if not all modeling rigs have a hard time pushing air in the midrange frequencies which causes them to get lost in a live mix.
                              With that said.. the GT-8/10 ROCK bigtime.

Comment

Working...
                              X