SD Mayhem, Blackstar DistX, Rocktron Silver Dragon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Mayhem, Blackstar DistX, Rocktron Silver Dragon

Anybody use these. I am looking for a tube pedal that can do very heavy metal. I currently am using a marshall valvestate 8100 (can't get a good heavy tone on the tube preamp unless it's really loud- not going to happen). I already have a line 6 uber pedal and a digitech metal master( I think), and hopefully I will get the warp pedal I bought on ebay. Good pedals but they are too manufactured sounding.
    I have had the marshall jack hammer and the damage control solid metal pedals and didn't like either. Not heavy enough.
    I am looking for that tube sound but with some b*lls.
    Not looking to spend more then what these costs so the mesa boogie and like pedals are out.

The SD Mayhem should do what you are looking for. My only concern with it is that Guitar Player reviewed it and said theirs got a little microphonic. This seems odd considering they used the microtubes presumably for their resistance to going microphonic.

There is a good demo of the SD here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGgGBtbWxRs
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I do not recommend the Mayhem pedal. It does have a microphonic pop whenever you switch channels. The gain is very weak, although what it does have is very amp-like. However, for heavy distortion, I don't recommend it. However, using it with an EQ may get better results than what I had.

I bought the Damage Control Solid Metal and have been very happy with it. It's made in the USA and sounds awesome. The only thing is, it's kind of a one-trick pony, don't expect to be playing blues with it. It also seems to lack mids, so an EQ might help with that one. TONS of gain though, and it sounds good. I've used lots of metal distortions with solid state amps, and also with a Fender Bassman. This is my favorite! I exchanged my Mayhem for this pedal.

Comment

I bought the Damage Control Solid Metal and have been very happy with it. It's made in the USA and sounds awesome. The only thing is, it's kind of a one-trick pony, don't expect to be playing blues with it. It also seems to lack mids, so an EQ might help with that one. TONS of gain though, and it sounds good. I've used lots of metal distortions with solid state amps, and also with a Fender Bassman. This is my favorite! I exchanged my Mayhem for this pedal
        I bought that one and within 10 minutes I knew it was going back. good sound not very high gain to me. That booster did almost nothing to the sound too.

Comment

Extreme III
          Its a monster of a pedal.

Comment

If you feel most distortion pedal lack the extra gain, try boosting the input with a clean boost. The line6 Uber metal has all the gain you could ever need.
            Sam

Comment

I am looking for a tube tone though.

Comment

I've been wanting to try the Blackstar DistX myself.
                Had the Damage Control Solid Metal but didn't like it. Not enough control over the midrange. It only had one control for mids called "Scoop" So I sold it.
                So far for Metal, the Tonebone Hot British has beaten every 12AX7 loaded distortion pedal I've tried. The Blackstar DistX is on my list next to try.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  Extreme III
                  Its a monster of a pedal.
                  +1. The AMT Extreme III is great. I had one for quite awhile.
                  http://www.pedalspluseffectswarehous.../amt-exiii.htm
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                  X