X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choose a dist. pedal

hi there guys
    im still sort of newbie and would like your opinion over these two pedals

its the Proco Rat 2 and the Visual Sound Son of Hyde, basically im looking for some diferent sounds, i mean metal, hard rock, blues, something versatile. ive seen these and people say they are good. so watcha think? if there is any other pedal you can recommend me, please comment thanks!!
    "You deserve what you dream"

The latest guitar player mag I've seen (Brad Paisley on the cover i think?) has reviews of 21 different distortion pedals. I left it at work, but i think they may have something on that Son of Hyde pedal.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

i like the rat. i used to get good sounds out of it when i was younger. at one point my favorite rig was a fender twin reverb, a rat, a vox wah, and a stratocaster. got KILLER tone from that rig.....

i have an original sansamp that works as a pretty versatile pedal. can be a bitch to dial in a cool sound, but it CAN be satisfying.

personally, i'd rather have another rat pedal......
      GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I'd try and listren to some clips or something, it depends on what type of distortion you are after.

Or go to guitar center and try them out, they have tons of them ready to plug into usually.

The Rat is famous for what it does, but if you're running it through a clean channel you're not gonna get extreme metal from what I recall. Haven't heard the son of hyde but Visual Sounds does make some great pedals.

I like the Boss MT-2 as well.
        Jackson KV2
        Jackson KE1T
        Jackson KE1F
        Jackson SL1

Comment

i like the rat , but also consider a tubescreamer infron of a distorted amp . it tightens things up while increasing sustain
          Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
          Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

You can't beat a Rat pedal- They are sturdy, inexpensive, don't eat 9 volts and you can dial in a good sound with any guitar and amp. Hey markD- About 25 years ago my rig was a Fender strat, a Rat pedal, a Crybaby and 2 Fender Twins, one with stock speakers and the other with JBLs. I would also have the vibrato foot switch in use also. Man, I could make that baby sing, scream, moan, groan, cry and sound like the wind. I cut my teeth playing in a power trio back then and still whip out a lot of those tricks nowadays in the same lineup.

Comment

I just picked up a Boss Metal Zone for shits and giggles. Its got a bevvy of cool sounds. Depending on how you set it, you can go from a British Steel kind of sound to Sabbath to thrashy and modern metal sounds. I was trying to find a "boo-teek" pedal to do this, and ended up with the Metal Zone because it gets the job done for $100.

That said, I've already got a Keeley TS-9 and a Fulltone Octa-Fuzz to do those sounds - the Metal Zone will not do those sounds.

On the Rat side - to me, the Rat basically has one sound - the Rat sound - so decide if you like that sound. If you do, then get it.
              Last edited by Grandturk; 02-07-2009, 07:16 PM.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by bobafer View Post
                basically im looking for some diferent sounds, i mean metal, hard rock, blues, something versatile.
                Well, what amp are you using? You should be able to get the Hard Rock and Blues tones out of the amp, then use the pedal to send it into the Metal-sphere

Or you could find an ADA MP-1 and a tube poweramp - 128 different patches is more versatility than most people need, and it fits neatly in a rack just like it was a head.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
                  Hey markD- About 25 years ago my rig was a Fender strat, a Rat pedal, a Crybaby and 2 Fender Twins, one with stock speakers and the other with JBLs. I would also have the vibrato foot switch in use also. Man, I could make that baby sing, scream, moan, groan, cry and sound like the wind.
                  indeed!!!! my twin had the stock speakers, and you are right...man that rig was a KILLER!!!! i forgot about the vibrato pedal....man that vibrato REALY fattens up the sound and makes for some cool stuff. i have a mini version of that rig now...i use a blackface tremolux head with a 1x12" cab with a weber speaker...i just need to get the rat pedal again...the sansamp classic just isn't cutting it....
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I have boss Metal Zone and Metal Core pedals and i wouldnt trade them for anything! I also put a Chorus Ensemble with those 2 and it sounds awsome.

Comment

Rat+Fender is a great combination.

Twins, Deluxe Reverbs, especially the blackface period amps "love" pedals in general. An old MXR Distortion+ is good also.
                      My favorite is a Boss OD-1 with a tone mod.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Well, what amp are you using? You should be able to get the Hard Rock and Blues tones out of the amp, then use the pedal to send it into the Metal-sphere

Or you could find an ADA MP-1 and a tube poweramp - 128 different patches is more versatility than most people need, and it fits neatly in a rack just like it was a head.
                        Well, this will sound ridiculous, I'm using a Line 6 Spider 3, 15 watt, however I´m thinking of getting a nice Vox Valvetronix, maybe between 20 or 30 watts.

Thanks for your comments y'all!
                        "You deserve what you dream"

Comment

hey,

a cool pedal for distortion to try is the tone bone! excellent distorttion sounds

Comment

Tone Bone is good besides the RAT. Stay away from the Boss Metalzone unless you get a modified one. They sound good alone when your at home but they suck in a live mix.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

if i had to pick one of those i'd go with the son of hyde cause the rat doesnt have enough gain for me, but its all on what youre goin for.

Comment

Working...
                              X