choose a dist. pedal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
    Tone Bone is good besides the RAT. Stay away from the Boss Metalzone unless you get a modified one. They sound good alone when your at home but they suck in a live mix.
    And what specific modification would address this "lost in the mix" problem?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I don't know the specific mod they do on the MT-2s cause I got rid of mine after it got lost in the mix. I have read about them on line. You can probably google it.

My reason for owning a distortion pedal is for unfamiliar backlines.

The one I have now is absolutely awesome. It is made by effectspedalboutique.com

Guy named Dave Wireman if I recall correctly. He custom makes pedals for some professional players. He also has permission to do the John Landgraff mod.

So I have the Landgraff mod on one side of my pedal and the Swanlund mod on the other - Swanlund is the guy in Marshall Tucker. So it is 2 distortion pedals in one box.
      I can use them separately or together. Everybody compiments my tone when I use that distortion.

Dave builds them by hand at his home. Very nice guy and honest. Builds killer pedals - very organic and touch responsive. And a shitload of tone shaping options. He even includes extra chips witht the pedals.

I won't ever look at or need another distortion pedal again. I am done.
      If Dave was not around I would probably have a Blackstone.
      Last edited by shredmonster; 02-10-2009, 05:06 PM.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

In your case, I'd say you should invest in a serious, good tube amp.

Any distortion pedal won't sound good in front of a digital modeling amp like your Line 6 or the Valvetronix you plan to buy.

Get the best-sounding Marshall or Mesa you can afford, learn how to get the best tones out of them and re-assess your needs, as to whether you really need a pedal.
        If you do, then at that point the choice is almost endless.

My recommendation is also to go with a brand that is widely available and well supported: I've learned the hard way that so-called "boutique" gear, whether it is amps or pedals, in many cases does not meet the need of a gigging musician.

I've had "boutique" OD pedals die on me, only to discover that there was a 6 months waiting list to have the pedal replaced.

Many "boutique" builders are hobbyists at best, and while their prices are worthy of a true professional, gig-ready product, their distribution, product support and reliability is not.

Comment

Get the line6 UberMetal. With an onboard noise-gate, which works even at the ear-shattering levels we play, that's the best buck for the money. It has great tone shaping options. Set it on the pulverize mode and you're done.

I traded in an Ibanez TS9DX for a Metal zone just for kicks. the metal zone has a good tone when dialed in properly, but when I put it on the pedalboard, its way too noisy at high gain settings. The ubermetal fixes that problem.
          Sam

Comment

Vox

Originally posted by bobafer View Post
            Well, this will sound ridiculous, I'm using a Line 6 Spider 3, 15 watt, however I´m thinking of getting a nice Vox Valvetronix, maybe between 20 or 30 watts.

Thanks for your comments y'all!
            The problem with the Valvetronix 30w or less is it has no send/return lines, mixed reviews, no extension cab capabilities, and last you can't get a clean tone out of it. It is always effected by the amp selection in the modeling.
            Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

Working...
            X