Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had $700.00 to spend on a Preamp..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strangletooth View Post
    Ah, the knowledge of half of the equation... You don't know me bro and have no idea of what I've owned. But you're right with Tim, he's owned as much as I have, perhaps a couple more, but it's all relative, same as tone, it's all relative... It's all good!
    ** I was just kiddin with ya! If your up there with Tim..then you have
    owned everything!

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
      This was a fun couple days too:

Who won Tim??

Comment

Best tone I ever had and I've had just about every amp known to man and every conceivable combination possible. I searched for years for that tone.

VHT 2150
        VHT Valv
        TC 1140 HS
        TC Gmajor
        Ground Control

All of this was sold here, not sure to who anymore, but...
        *** Right now im running thru a GT-10 into a VHT 2/90/2 Stereo
        rack amp...and a TC G Major thru the Boss GT's loop. The TC unit just
        adds sparkling cleans like ive never heard before! I have an insane clean
        tone now, it just gives me chills. Now im curious if the G Force, or
        other high end TC would be the way to go, since im so happy with my
        $200 GMajor! :-))

Comment

I ALMOST Forgot to thank all of you!! Ive learned so much from you
          guys, and i appreciate the time taken to straighten me out!
          You guys are the BEST !!

Comment

Ultimately, it comes down to what is going to work for you. Ever player has there own taste in what is the "ultimate" tone. A lot of great recommendations here, and probably not a turd in the bunch...
            I gave up on my quest for tone years ago, and haven't auditioned any thing new in ten years (other than adding a G Major to my rig) Still using the same preamp and poweramp... I'm happy with my tone. It gives me what I need, and that is the bottom line... It may not be what everyone likes, but it's what I like... You'll eventually find that as well. Good luck on your quest, and I hope that you will find the tone you crave
            Don

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              Who won Tim??
              None of the above. Although the SLO sounded incredible - it just had to be sooooo loud to get the good stuff.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                It's been a while since I played through one but I don't believe a G-Force is going to make a remarkable improvement for you tone-wise. The G-Force adds more stuff and has much more flexibility but the fundamental tones are not vastly superior. I've played a bunch of the TC Nova pedals and while they are pretty good I would not choose them with the Eventide stompboxes being available. The G-System would be redundant with what you already have.

Robert - from where you are at the next substantial upgrade in effects quality is going to be an Eventide Eclipse or a Fractal Audio Axe-FX. The Eclipse is the best sounding effects unit I've ever had but the Axe-FX does a lot more and is much simpler to work.
                I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

No sweat on the apology bro, wasn't intended for that, I just haven't posted any gear here for at least 3-4 yrs, before your time, so it's all good. The old dude's would remember though.

As for the Gforce, been there, done that and imo, not needed, the Gmajor is the best all around unit I've used, and I've had some amazing stuff, and the added features just don't warrant the additional $$$ imo. I had a Lexicon that was $12-1300 and a gforce that was up there, several other components to make up for a gmajor, and everything else basically pales in comparison.

If you want to spend some money, get a good parametric eq and call it a day. A good switching system is always good as well. Maybe a couple of different cabs for different voicing, etc.
                  Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Should have asked this first, but why are you thinking of getting a higher end piece in place of the Gmajor?
                    Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
                      I've had my moments:

Is that a SP77 in the middle there? I always liked my buddy's sound of those thru his Marshall Major.

Nobody's mentionned one of those.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

I had a bunch of preamps just got done selling a few
                        and The Randall is hands down better iff you want versatility.
                        If you get a chance to try with especially with modified modules, you will be a believer.
                        Everything from Brutalz to country cleans in one box.

My .02
                        VR,
                        ///MK
                        http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

I'm still pretty pleased with my Rocktron Piranha. I had a JMP-1 previously which I liked a lot too and wish I still had .. it did some stuff better than the Piranha but I still give the piranha the edge.

I have also owned a Rocktron Prophesy which I didn't really like much. Tried the Triaxis a bunch of times at the music store but it never really clicked with me.

Anyone try the Mesa Rectifier recording preamp?

Comment

Should have asked this first, but why are you thinking of getting a higher end piece in place of the Gmajor?
                            ** I wasnt...its just that i am so impressed with the audio quality of the
                            "Major"..that i thought maybe the $1200.00 TC stuff was even better?
                            Tim says...flexability...but not really audio quality better.. So im fine
                            i guess? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
                              I have been very happy with my Rocktron Voodu Valve, but I don't think it's nearly as favored around here.

I'm a big fan of the Voodu's. I'm doing a Priest tribute right now and wish I had the money to grab another one. My old one fried, lost all it's memory and locks up when you try to save.

They are very heavy/brutal sounding when dialed right. Just sorta dead sounding. Audience never noticed tho I just did.

My CAE is pretty great for this Priest junk, but my back is traumatized from carrying my preamp rig out for practice 1-2 x a week even with the feather light BOSE amp.

Voodu, MidiMate and my BOSE 300 watt amp would be perfect and weigh about 20 pounds.

Comment

Ooooh... here ya go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/VHT-Valvulator-G...3A1%7C294%3A50

Comment

Working...
                                X