Vox Valvetronix XL Owners I have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox Valvetronix XL Owners I have questions

My current amp has a clean channel and a preamp channel.
    Is this the case with these amps? reading on them it almost looks like the 2 channels are both running though the preamp and are just 2 programable channels.
    (I see that the 100watt is the only one with the effects loop.)
    Can I still get a "clean" sound in case I want to use one of my distortion stomp boxes?(hint-telling me I don't need them doesn't answer the question).

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
    My current amp has a clean channel and a preamp channel.
    Is this the case with these amps? reading on them it almost looks like the 2 channels are both running though the preamp and are just 2 programable channels.
    (I see that the 100watt is the only one with the effects loop.)
    Can I still get a "clean" sound in case I want to use one of my distortion stomp boxes?(hint-telling me I don't need them doesn't answer the question).

I'm not a tech guru, but I'll answer the best way I can. The valvetronics have a very good amp modeler in them and you can get a very wide variety of cleans and preamped tones. The two channels that you're probably looking at are the two spots where you can save patches two, which in my opinion is the only limiting factor the VT has. It'd be nice to be able to save more than two settings but I have found a couple of ways around it with mine. I have mine set up with a clean setup on the first patch that I run my dual overdrive or my tube screamer (depending on what sound I want) and the other chennel set for a heavier more modern distortion for rockin a little harder..

and, yes.. sadly, the 100 watt version is the only one with an effects loop, but to be honest, I haven't missed it in my 50 watt version.. I just plug and play.
    Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

There is a newer VT series (VT15, VT30) of amps that might have effects loops in lower wattages. But these aren't the high gain XL version of the amp.

I think you are saying you have a Cube right now, where you can switch between Jazz Clean or a Model amp (whichever one the dial is on). The Vox amps work differently, but you might be able to do it with the presets.

Comment

I think you are saying you have a Cube right now, where you can switch between Jazz Clean or a Model amp (whichever one the dial is on). The Vox amps work differently, but you might be able to do it with the presets.
        Right now I have a marshall 8100 valvestate 100w head. I can't use my uber pedal or digitech metal master on the preamp channel they sound like shit even with the gain all the way down. On the clean channel ( that does have a gain option too) the gain cannot be on or is makes the pedal sound like shit too. I was hoping that this amp had a "clean" and a "preamp" channel.

Comment

Rich: I'd like to add,I have a Vox VT "XL" combo.It doesn't have an FX loop,but I just switch channels.I don't know how they do it from pre amp to power amp but I can get sparkling clean-to Modern Hi-Gain. I plug straight in,no tuners,box's at all.
          What Pups are you using?
          Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

What Pups are you using?
            emg 81, blackout, SD distortion, SD custom, Super distortion, x2n, d sonic, JB, jackson 90,tone zone, and a crappy MIK squier single coil.

Comment

I'd like to add,I have a Vox VT "XL" combo.
              Was it worth getting the XL over the regular one that has more amp models?

Comment

You might want to check out the cube then, because it has a clean channel (Roland Jazz Chorus) and a separate distortion channel.

The XL is the hi-gain version. I personally liked the regular VT15 over the XL. Some of the hi-gain models didn't sound too hot to me. I was just comparing presets however. GC is blowing out the 30watt XL's for $175. I think they didn't sell too hot and they are just trying to clear them out.

Comment

You might want to check out the cube then, because it has a clean channel (Roland Jazz Chorus) and a separate distortion channel.
                  Looking for a tube sound.
                  GC is blowing out the 30watt XL's for $175. I think they didn't sell too hot and they are just trying to clear them out.
                  A few places have the 50watt 2x12 for 299. I like the option of adding a cabinet too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    Looking for a tube sound.
                    A few places have the 50watt 2x12 for 299. I like the option of adding a cabinet too.
                    For a tube sound the Vox is a great choice. I just like the regular Vox amp models over the hi-gain XL amp models.

Is that the new VT50 or the older AD50VT for $299?

I'm looking for a smaller amp, so I'll be comparing the VT15 against the Micro Cube the next time I go to GC.

Comment

[quote][Is that the new VT50 or the older AD50VT for $299?
                      /QUOTE] the AD50vt
                      http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...-AD50VTXL-LIST
                      Last edited by Rich#6; 02-09-2009, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I think you should spend a litle time a/b'ing the two amps before making a choice. The newer ones supposed to have 66 models vs. 11 (I think).

And since that's the older model, it should be a lot lower in price. The AD30VT's go for around $170, but then you only have one speaker.

Comment

I havent played the newer VT's but the olde ad models were really nice I also prefered the AD's to the xl's as the majority of high gainers tended to be samey jmo.

I do think the newer ones have more options with more models, I also think that you can save up to four presets and the VT's come with a small multi button footswitch...

I personally like the clean of the cubes but OD wise there are many better amps out there, and for non all tube amps the vox have been my favourite for a fair while...

Comment

Originally posted by ozzuk1 View Post
                            and for non all tube amps the vox have been my favourite for a fair while...
                            Well, to be fair, the Vox does have a tube

At first I thought it was a gimmick, but after playing some of these maybe Vox is on to something.

Comment

I haven't listened to one yet (in person at least- gotta love youtube) but I really like how they put the tube infront of the preamp and has the adjustment for the watts. My marshall has one in the preamp and I can't get a good tone unless it's really really loud and on the preamp channel.
                              The new vt50 at $399 is getting my attention with all the new stuff.

Comment

Working...
                              X