Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As a Public Service here is Tube Info...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As a Public Service here is Tube Info...

Thought you guys might like this....

http://www.eurotubes.com/euro-e.htm
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

JJ tubes are very well made, i just think they are too dark sounding for my taste. i will use their preamp tubes if something needs taming but not in the V1 position. and for power tubes i'd either go Svetlana or S.E.D. but thats just me.

i used to praise JJ because of how well they are made. but then i did side by side comparisons with other tubes and realized i didn't like how dark they sounded. go figure.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I agree they are dark. They work great in my Framus Cobra however.
      PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Great descriptions for the tube newb!
        JJ has strong points as well as weak points...even RCA in their prime didn't make all of their products the best in every type. Or Mullard, or Amperex, etc.

The JJ 6V6's simply rock. Very good, and hearty power tube.
        I have been buying ElectroHarmonics 12AX7's lately. They ave a nice grit that I like, and sound sweet on the cleans. Cheap at the moment. I used to like Fender branded Chinese 12AX7's. Who would have thought? The ones that weren't microphonic sound very good.
        Many options.
        Others have great opinions on the best 6L6's, KT88's, EL34's. I just have not explored those much yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
          JJ tubes are very well made, i just think they are too dark sounding for my taste. i will use their preamp tubes if something needs taming but not in the V1 position. and for power tubes i'd either go Svetlana or S.E.D. but thats just me.

i used to praise JJ because of how well they are made. but then i did side by side comparisons with other tubes and realized i didn't like how dark they sounded. go figure.

Agreed... Very much so... Did i write this? haha...

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post

YES, and FWIW, they also have about half the output of both Tung Sol and Sovtek 12ax7s.

The JJ's sound extremely lame in both my Bogner and Marshall rig. Very thin and weak sounding tubes..I fuggin' hate 'em with a passion.

"Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I have a set of JJ E34Ls in my Laney as well as a JJ 12ax7 in V1. They sound great in it, but it is also a finicky amp when it comes tubes.
              I'm not Ron!

Comment

I USE THE JJ KT88'S. He is right. They are the bomb. Description is dead on. I also use the JJ preamp tubes and they sound good. I do like the GT 12ax7C as my high gain pre tube better though.

Comment

JJ's are quality, middle of the road sounding tubes. Not dull, not sweet. One brand of tube is like eating one type of food. My gourmet tone pallette needs more options man!!
                  (currently munching up tungsol/chinese pre's and svetlana 6l6's)

Comment

Isn't it odd that everyone rags on Chinese-made guitars yet they insist on using Chinese-made tubes in their amps?
                    Scott

Comment

'Cause the Chinese don't have to worry about all those troublesome
                      environmental regulations that go into manufacturing tubes?

It's a mixed bag...some stink, some are great.
                      Especially in higher gain applications.

Comment

For 6l6's I love the svets. They do it for me. I had a set of JJ 6l6's and el34's and I did not like them. They were dark )as others have said) compared to winged c' I usually use. I am using a set of Tung Sol el34b's in one of my splawns and I dig those. If you are using el34's check out a set of those. They really have a nice 6l6 kind of quality to them yet still keep a british tube amp tone too.
                        Last edited by Firebird V; 02-14-2009, 07:50 AM.

Comment

nos preamps are my fav.
                          EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
                          1959Epiphone les paul
                          george L cables
                          mxr pedals
                          Engl fireball 100

Comment

Bob and all the guy's are great at Eurotubes and will answer questions. I just retubed 4 amps with their JJ's. Very nice tone.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                            X