Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about an Uberschall... opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We opened for a national act a couple months ago. I came into the bar after load out and was listening thinking, what the hell is that buzz of a guitar I hear. I went around the back of the stage and saw two Ubers sitting in the case. I have to say that I was TOTALLY not impressed. Some one needed their ears cleand. I had heard Marshall MG's that smoked that tone. Now dont get me wrong, Im not saying that the amps suck, I am just saying that someone needed help dialing that beast in. I guess the moral is, you can blow that kind of money and still have shit tone.
    Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
    http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

The Randall stuff Pat is suggesting is cool! I Have a Randall RM 100 and I use a stock XTC module in it as well as a modded one by Pete. Nice sound but not really the same as a 101B and there is no Uber module that I know of. On the plus side its much cheaper than Bogner.
      As far as the Buzzy sound Mike heard, I'd guess those guys just didn't have those Ubers dialed in right which is hard to believe as I think the Uber is easy to tweak. The other possibility is they ran some things through the loop they shouldn't have. Or... I have run into a live gig situation myself with my Uber where I thought something was wrong with my amp and ended up playing my backup Randall. Problem turned out to be crap electrical supply at the club. The Uber is sensitive to proper voltage and this place gave me problems twice and screwed with a friend's Dual Recto as well. But you are correct Mike, you can blow lots of money on gear and still sound like crap. Of course if you spend that money on Jacksons going into Bogners you're chances of that happening are greatly minimized And for even better tone a Mike Learn graphic always saves the night
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
        And for even better tone a Mike Learn graphic always saves the night
        No discount for you! Oh wait....

I could have sworn there was a mod for the Uber? :think: Maybe Pete builds them or something, I'll have to check. But you're right, the XTC mod isn't exactly a 101, but it's close enough IMO. You'll never get the exact tones out of those mods, but they're a close 2nd in most cases. A stop at Pete's is mandatory when it comes to the mods, for sure!

I tried to sell my Randall combo a while ago and didn't get any bites, not here anyway. I guess people don't realize what they are? They've been out for long enough, you'd think people would know better by now.
        Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

You Cwazy Bastids!!

Yes it's really me, and I speak from the heart, or balls or something. Let it be known, the Uberschall is by far the heaviest, crunchiest, chunkiest, thickest most brutal head I have ever heard, owned or played..by far!!! It is what a 5150 and Recto combined always shouldv'e been. It is everything Rudy says it is. But I don't play clean whatsoever, so it could be a single channel amp for all I care. The cleans can match the dirty channel's volume at band levels, but it requires you to turn up the clean channel's volume knob nearly all the way up. The 3 page Bogner manual says this is normal with the Uber. I also use the G-Major and find it actually improves my tone. But I dialed it in with the G-Major in the loop from day one. But I also tweaked the G-Major to optimize my tone as well. I use it for the noise gate and barely a tad of delay, and lead boost with a bit more delay. But Wiz and co. are absolutely right about its dark voicing which is not really "chirpy" and squeal friendly. Which is a breeze with amps such as a Marshall, Soldano, ect that are voiced in the upper mids. That allows me to really blaze away and fly around without effort. The Bogner makes you work for it. Although it sounds amazing, it does impede alot of my style. People may not realize what the big deal that may be with doing harmonics and such. Well it's a huge part of my natural playing style..shit I can ping like a madman on bass and even an acoustic geetar. The Uber responds very well to my son's cheap import Jackson but my beloved '95 SD Koa sounds so dead, even with a fresh set of strings. The Bogner is so hi fi, you can actually hear a fresh set go dead while your playing in an hour's time. That part is a bummer for me. Just think if Zakk or Dime couldn't Squeal, Eddie forgot how to tap, Ynwgie forgot how to sweep, or take away Satch and Vai whammy bar..they would be sad.

Oh, to answer Bobby's question. My ol' beloved Marshall rig is a 9200w/5881s/JMP-1/JFX-1 and BBE 422, stereo, into four Marshall1960b straight cabs w/75wt celestions. It is fucking loud as hell. It has just enough gain to convey whatever I need without any stomps at all. The girth of four straight cabs along with the BBE gives me a pretty chunky tone..especially for a Marshall. The tone is liberating and extremely inspiring to me. I write everything I do with the Marshall. I prolly only wrote a handful of riffs with my Bogner with my son on drums..heavy sabbath-like riffs because that's what it does best. The gain IS 100% usuable! I used to always have it full tilt, but I've been running it at 12 O' clock for some time now to tighten it up, and make it punchier with less "sag". I want to try a pedal to slam the front with the gain set there. I can't seem find a happy medium between 12 O'clock and full tilt. With it maxed, leads seems to come alive and it has this cool "growl" for certain rythmic stuff I do. At 12 O' clock, it sounds best (to my ears) for the fast palm muted stuff I throw at it...but I wished it had a tad more gain (if that makes sense)..but the right kind of gain to enhance my playing style. Hahha , It's late and I hope you can follow me because I just confused myself trying to explain this crap.

You should hear the Marshall and Bogner combined. I wouldn't trade THAT tone for anything. But I wished I could get that sound with one amp, but that's impossible! Not that sound.
          Last edited by horns666; 02-13-2009, 06:27 AM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
            And for even better tone a Mike Learn graphic always saves the night
            That there is a priceless plug. HEHEHEHE... Thanks Rudy!
            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

I had an XTC and sold it for an Uber. I freakin love my Uber and cant for the life of me understand where this anti-Uber stuff comes from. It sounds huge - wall of guitars type tone. Has the most evil voicing Ive heard and by far the most glorious chunk of any rig Ive owned. Also has the most "fun factor".

The clean ch level is not a problem for me. Our bands clean is stuff is lower in vol than our chuggy stuff anyways. Not so for you guys?

I run the g-major in the loop and it is fine. Set your input/output levels (according to channel vol) and you are good. Maybe something thats missing in these threads is that the Ubers presence and mid knobs are kinda swapped from other heads. In other words the presence knob acts like the mid knob on most heads and vice versa.

You guys with g-majors or whatever - do you use the eq? I add mids with the g-major 3 band eq and have no probs getting squeals and whatnot on my lead patchs. For a modern metal rhythm chug its the best (for me). My lead patches (with g-major) have some grease - so what.

Having said all that I do own other heads. I have a rackto, a Cameron Marshall and a 800 Marshall 4 holer. I dont always feel in the mood for massive modern chunk - but when i do - I play my Uber!

Comment

Working...
              X