Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power tubes, how long have they lasted for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tubes, how long have they lasted for you?

I bought my Carvin TS100 used. The seller on eBay said, the tubes were a year old. That was in Dec 07. For the past year, since April, I've been playing it at 3/4 volume or more. Basically trying to overpower a 350lb drummer. I think you get the picture. And the tubes sound as good today as they've done last year. I'm a believer in 'If it ain't broke, dont fix it'. I got my tube-bias kit and all that ready for them to blow, but they seem to be going on strong. I only play about 4-6 hours any given week on the amp.

So, how long have YOUR tubes lasted? how much longer can I expect mine to keep going at the rate I'm using them?
    Sam

Warm them up properly before playing, let them cool down before moving the amp, they can last many years.

Don't take care of the amp, they can last weeks!

Comment

Probably time for a change. They won't blow up but they'll slowly start to lose their edge; it's hard to notice because it's gradual. I replace mine each year if I can and would use it the same amount of time, but I'm also running them a bit hotter than where it was from the factory (bias modded my 5150 and it's never been better).

When you do get around to getting some (I recommend www.eurotubes.com for them!) you'll likely get the "who took the blanket off my amp" effect. It's hard to tell when you need to change; cos normally you change your amp settings if something sounds odd, you know? Chances are you've been EQing out the sound of your worn tubes for a while! New ones have more sparkle and thump, older ones are a bit dull, but you will never know until you get some fresh ones in there. Might be a whole new amp with fresh tubes! Sure, it ain't broke, but you also don't want to get to the stage where it IS broke.

You can bias your amp colder if you want them to last longer too. Will sound a bit different.

Oh yeah don't worry about the preamp tubes, they'll last for ages.

Comment

Several years. Countless dollars are wasted by fools pulling the tubes before they've lived their lives out.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          Several years. Countless dollars are wasted by fools pulling the tubes before they've lived their lives out.
          yeah, was it George Lynch who had all his stage amps re-tubed for each show?
          Sam

Comment

And countless hours of needlessly poor tone is also heard by those who don't pony up the dough to keep their stuff sounding top shelf. To me, it's like driving on bald tyres just because "they haven't blown up yet"...

Let your ears decide. You don't have to spend $200 a tube on NOS JAN stuff. You can retube your amp for under $60 with JJs (at least the power ones) and it'll at least give you an idea of how your amp is supposed to sound.

Don't know about you, but I'd spend $60 on a meal out for two. I can surely afford to spend the same on something I use and love. It's not wasting money to indulge in the thing that gives you so much!

If I'm wrong and you can't hear a difference, at least you'll know you have fresh tubes (or a backup set if anything goes wrong). That's SURELY not a waste of money as you should have spares anyway!

In my opinion, anyway. Changing tubes once a show is mental. Once a year, two years, but not much more if you're slamming them. Check how hot your bias is too, as this greatly affects the life.

Comment

Originally posted by slowmotion View Post
              And countless hours of needlessly poor tone is also heard by those who don't pony up the dough to keep their stuff sounding top shelf. To me, it's like driving on bald tyres just because "they haven't blown up yet"...

Let your ears decide. You don't have to spend $200 a tube on NOS JAN stuff. You can retube your amp for under $60 with JJs (at least the power ones) and it'll at least give you an idea of how your amp is supposed to sound.

Don't know about you, but I'd spend $60 on a meal out for two. I can surely afford to spend the same on something I use and love. It's not wasting money to indulge in the thing that gives you so much!

If I'm wrong and you can't hear a difference, at least you'll know you have fresh tubes (or a backup set if anything goes wrong). That's SURELY not a waste of money as you should have spares anyway!

In my opinion, anyway. Changing tubes once a show is mental. Once a year, two years, but not much more if you're slamming them. Check how hot your bias is too, as this greatly affects the life.

Comment

I've changed power tubes out once in the last 10 years, I find that my pre-amp tubes seem to be more of an issue. I only change out power tubes when there is a 'backround noise' or a drop in volume. I also play at concert volume 90% of the time.
                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

My bass player bought his Fender Bassman head in the early 70s and has never changed the tubes! I could hardly believe it, but it's true! I do suspect it would sound better if he changed them though -- it's starting to sound a little farty when he cranks it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    My bass player bought his Fender Bassman head in the early 70s and has never changed the tubes! I could hardly believe it, but it's true! I do suspect it would sound better if he changed them though -- it's starting to sound a little farty when he cranks it.
                    That could be the speakers too.
                    Sam

Comment

My amp was beginning to lose some steam and definition. So I asked the same question too. I got a garden variety of replies. I ended up ordering all new tubes. After 5 years of gigging it's the least I could do to thank my amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        No, it's the filter caps going out. Filter caps supposed to have a life span of 10 years.

Comment

No, it's the filter caps going out. Filter caps supposed to have a life span of 10 years.
                          Interesting. I'll pass on that info. He's probably too lazy to do anything about it, but now that he's been using his amp more regularly I suspect it will get bad enough to where he gives in pretty soon.

Comment

hahahaha, my main stage rivera still has the original power tubes...from 1991!!!! it sounds just the way i want it to....very brown. my first rivera, my m100 combo has had the tubes replaced 3 times. i bought it in 1990. my back up head, an m100 head, has had new tubes twice. i bought it new in 1992.
                            GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

The problem is that since it is a gradual process, most people don't notice the tonal deterioration that is going on...they get "accustomed" to the sound. If you gig regularly at high volumes, I can't see going more than 1-2 years without a change. If you think your tone hasn't changed over that time period with heavy use, then you are most likely tone deaf and might as well go with a solid state amp

The design of the amp also needs to be considered. Any Mesa/Boogie's that I've owned seem to be pretty easy on their power tubes, whereas my Matchless Chieftain needs to be retubed every 6 months under heavy use.

Comment

Working...
                              X