Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Power tubes, how long have they lasted for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
    If you think your tone hasn't changed over that time period with heavy use, then you are most likely tone deaf and might as well go with a solid state amp
    Nice one man! I love the current sound of my amp. I dont know what tubes are in it cause there is no brand-name on the tubes. I'm afraid to lose that tone. I could ask "what tubes do you recommend for the carvin" and everyone has their own taste.

Maybe I should get a SS power amp and band-practice with it, but if we go gigging, I could use the carvin. or I could ask Carvin what tubes they shipped the amp with. :idea:
    Sam

Comment

I have all stock tubes in my Genz Benz.

I think if you treat the tubes well, they can last a couple of years. I have had an amp that was seriously improved by new power tubes: JCM900 MkIII. I was getting very low gain (like pre JCM800 levels) and kind of a thin tone. I replaced the power tubes with some new ones and it really was a different amp.

I had a Mesa Road King for a couple of years that I never changed tubes in. It sounded great up until I sold it.

I can tell that the Benz is starting to lose a bit of its edge, but not enough to drastically affect the sound yet. I'd give it another 6 months unless my band moves out of the basement.

As far as replacing preamp tubes, I only do that when one breaks/goes microphonic/etc. I will replace the whole set then.
      Scott

Comment

That's the other thing. Since I'm using the carvin for only the power section, all the eq'ing, etc. is coming from my MXR 10-band and Uber metal. I dont notice much difference in sound over the past year. Also, we play fast 190+ bpm death/progressive metal at ear-shattering volumes. Not much tone difference I can make out at those levels. I'll probably be deaf in a couple of years anyways.
        Sam

Comment

Working...
        X