Marshall Mode Four ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Mode Four ?

Did a search and nothing came up, so I hafta ask........ Anyone have experience with these ? I was thinkin on picking one up. Thanks !
    I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

I played one a while back and was not impressed at all. Isn't it a hybrid with just a tube preamp and solid state power amp? I thought the cleans were alright but the other channels didn't really do it for me.

Comment

+1 I played through one too and if you are not getting it for like maybe $200 bucks (which would be a solid steal) I would say there are much better sounding amps out there.

Comment

Ditto, its barely decent. For a few hundred it would be a good deal.

Comment

The old Marshall valvestate heads can be found pretty cheap and they have a better tone IMO. Or get a Line 6 Flextone II head or maybe some other Line 6 head. I am thinking you are going solid state because of your interest in the Mode Four so that is why I suggested those. Personally I am a tube amp player but the Line 6 stuff cant be beat for the price and quality of the tone IMO if you are going SS.

Comment

Thanks guys. Actually, I'm looking to get back into a band this summer and want an amp that I can leave where we practice. I don't wanna have to lug my rack back and forth all the time. I just want a moderately priced decent sounding head for rehearsals. I heard a clip of a mf350 and thought it sounded good and I know Skolnick used one on the last Testament cd. I knew at least some of you guys would have live experience with 'em and could get your opinions. Thanks !
            I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

There's a used one at the Sam Ash by my house. I didn't try it out though.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Hawk View Post
                and I know Skolnick used one on the last Testament cd.
                ... what!?:think:
                I very much doubt that. Where did you get this from?

From my experience, if you're looking for a "decent sounding head", look elsewhere.
                I'd only ever get a Mode Four if I could sell it for a profit right afterwards.
                There are much better heads out there for the price, including those mentioned here already.
                http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

If you want SS, look for anything from Randall.
                  For a cheap fantastic tube amp look at a used Carvin X100B. Throw your favorite distortion pedal in front of it and you are good to go for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
                    ... what!?:think:
                    I very much doubt that. Where did you get this from?
                    I'm with you on this... Maybe had a picture taken with one? I HIGHLY doubt he's using this tone suckubus...

Comment

IF you want the marshall tone cheap get a used 8100 head. Like Firebird V said better tone. I have had one for 15 years. Gets really load and great tone a high volumes. The are only a few hundred on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
                        I'm with you on this... Maybe had a picture taken with one? I HIGHLY doubt he's using this tone suckubus...
                        For all we know the whole album has been done with the EVH 5150 III.
                        No mention of the Mode Four in the thread on the Andy Sneap forum... I have reposted the question, hopefully I'll get an answer from the man himself.

That said, I can't even imagine Andy Sneap letting a Mode Four anywhere near his studio...
                        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Originally posted by shadowcat View Post
                          For all we know the whole album has been done with the EVH 5150 III.
                          No mention of the Mode Four in the thread on the Andy Sneap forum... I have reposted the question, hopefully I'll get an answer from the man himself.

That said, I can't even imagine Andy Sneap letting a Mode Four anywhere near his studio...
                          Seems like I read that the whole album was pretty much done when ALex came in to lay down his solo's. If I remember correctly, Eric had used the 5150 III for everything and Alex used a DSL for his solos..........
                          "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

Originally posted by toddstaples View Post
                            Seems like I read that the whole album was pretty much done when ALex came in to lay down his solo's. If I remember correctly, Eric had used the 5150 III for everything and Alex used a DSL for his solos..........
                            This is true..and Andy Sneap produced the mofo.

Marshall Mode Four = Caca PP ..
                            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

when I saw Testament with Alex in 2007 he was actually playing a MF...but like has been stated, Eric recorded all the rhythms on TFOD...

Comment

Working...
                              X