• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need amp advice...

Hi all –
    Looking to get a new amp and have decided down to the following:

Peavey Valveking 112
    Blackstar HT-5

I play at home, am looking for a two channel amp, and play mostly 80’s metal. I currently have the vox ad15 so I do not want another modeling amp (I’d just keep the one I have right now).

Any thoughts? The vk112 is overkill for home playing but has reverb and independent eq for both channels unlike the blackstar. But the blackstar is 5 watts, all-tube (?) and has a nice distortion channel.

Thanks in advance

jeff
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Kiesel Aries
    Charvel USA Wild Card #3
    EVH 5150 iii 50W, 1x12" EVH w/ Celestion Lynchback, Boss RV-3

I haven't tried either but I have looked into both lately. If you want a bedroom level amp your not going to want the peavey. with 50 watts you are going to have to turn it up really load to get a good sound from those tubes. If the blackstar was in stock I would already have one.LOL. If you want a tube amp that has a higher wattage look for one that has the knob that reduces the watts used.
    If country of origin makes a difference on the two that you are looking at, the blackstar is made in Korea and the peavy is made in China.

Comment

What's your budget? (I don't know how much the two you mentioned are and too lazy to look em up)
      Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

I was looking at the Blackstar HT-5 simply because it has three miniature tubes. I'm thinking about making my low-watt amps
        smaller in physical size.
        I have a couple of 12BH7's to play with too.

What about the HT-5 combo?

Comment

I have a behringer amp i know there not the best in the wolrd but i bought it off of a friend for 20 bucks and it does great at bedroom levels but when I need to play loud I just plug into my computer and use the mixer i have installed to get the sound im looking for.

Comment

Hi there. For the past 20+ years I have been using a Peavey Backstage Plus. It is a solid state and only has one channel, but it still rocks. I've just started running a MT-2 Metal Zone through it and it is just bone crushing. However, because of it's age, I have started to look at new amps. I did not want anything that all the modeling stuff on the as I like to get my own sound. The first one I ran across was this series: http://www.fender.com/products//sear...ubcat=frontman. It seems like it has some variability and you can find them at good prices when on sale. The 25 watt runs about $250+. The other amp, of course, is another Peavey. Here are some suggestions, http://www.peavey.com/products/brows...tubeSeries.cfm.

If interested, here is the amp I am using: http://cgi.ebay.com/Peavey-Backstage...1%7C240%3A1318. This makes me sad. When I bought mine it was around $200 in the day. There are many others of course, but this is just a couple I have looked at. Good hunting.
            Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

Working...
            X