Busted Wylde Wah? Fix - yes/no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted Wylde Wah? Fix - yes/no?

Ok, so I cheaped out and bought this used. Basically what's wrong is that when your toe is completely down you get the highs, but then as soon as you rock it back slightly it jumps all the way down and it doesn't change all the way back to the heel down position. Then when you rock it back forward it doesn't change until your toe is completely down. At which point it jumps all the way back up.

Since I got a really good deal on it, I'd rather just fix it if it's possible (unless it will cost a lot). The seller is trying to tell me that it has "a smaller range than most wahs". BS. I'd really not have to bother with the whole dispute process. What could be wrong with this, and how can I fix it?

I posted a crap vid on youtube taken with my phone temporarily until I can find the charger for my camera to make a proper one. I just did a chord and a single not so that you can hear the change (or lack there of) better.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Dirty pot?

Comment

Thats not a dirty pot. Sounds like a bad inductor or a few bad resistors. When a pot is dirty it crackles like crazy. I have done a ton of work on wahs.
      The Zack Wylde wah does have a smaller range but its very dramatic. It goes from very high to a strong midrange. What you have there is a wah in need of some electronics work. If the inductor is bad its not worth fixing unless you can do it yourself. The fasal inductor is pretty expensive and you will screw the board up if you don't know how to desolder and resolder.
      Let me know if you want to do anything with it regarding selling or repairing it. I fix and mod wah's and am always looking for broken ones.

Comment

ah thanks. i can desolder/resolder i just had no clue how to figure out what it was that was causing the problem. the seller came through and offered to refund me, but i didn't want to do that if it was an easy fix.

Comment

It could be as simple as the little tab that holds the stick from the rocker against the threads on the pot shaft. Also make sure when the toe is all the way down the pot shaft is at about it's max turn in that direction. If not, you'll get the wrong sweep range.

Comment

i've opened it up. the stick/pot shaft are turning perfectly and there is no bad soldering as far as i can tell.

Comment

Hey Man, I am a repair tech at a company called Logic Systems I mainly work on stringed instruments and speakers but, as a service tech I get paid $75.00 an hr. If your willing to put at least 1hr into your pedal + the cost of parts hell I'll fix it for you. If not take the loss and purchase a new one. Most pedals are not worth the time or the $$$$ to fix unless it's something either vintage or high end.

Comment

Considering I only paid $70 for this one (guy listed it as barely played, perfect condition, sounds great, blah blah)....I'll pass. Thanks though. I'm sending it back to the guy in the morning. Figured that was the easiest thing to do.

Comment

I must say its my favriote wah pedal of all time. I broke mine once, I threw it about 20 feet onto my driveway in a furious rage because I had stubbed my toe on it. I then plugged it in and it wasnt working. I opened it up, and one of the cables inside was just detached, I plugged it back in, it works like a charm. I must say, the midrange caw I get out of this thing is amazing. The only thing i dont like about it, it hurts my toes like fuck if im not wearing shoes and I am thrashing about in the studio and i step on it or somthing, thank fuck its durable. As for on stage, its never fucked up, i trust it for sure.
                  www.myspace.com/memnochband
                  www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

yeah, i plan on picking up another one at some point. i just couldn't be fucked with the hassle of dealing with this one at the moment. other shit to be concerned with

Comment

Check on the prices on google by clicking the shopping link or yahoo, ive found a few good deals on there that my local GC matched for me plus an extra 10% so i got more for my money. I need to upload new pics of my pedal board since i got rid of the rp250.

Comment

Sent back. got refund. done.

[/thread]

Comment

Working...
                        X