New amp on the way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp on the way!

After many months of talking back and forth, I ordered a 50-watt, non-master volume amp last month. As it turns out, the amp has been completed and will be shipping soon to me. The amp is the first model 6850 from RJS Amplifiers. It's also the first 50-watt head that he's built. The amp is based off of a '68 Marshall 1987 with a few tweaks. I also opted to get mustard caps installed. Bobby at RJS really knows quite a bit about old Marshalls and he is awesome to work with.

The cab is loaded with 2 G12M Greenbacks. And yes, I will be using a Hotplate with this setup, lest the Celestions get blown.

Like I said, I haven't heard it yet but the guys at Grosh Guitars have heard it and they say it sounds awesome. In fact, Don Grosh is a big Fender amp fan but he really liked this one. I've also been told that the cab is pretty stunning in how it sounds (apparently the bigger size really helps). But they have also run the head through my friend's '68 or '69 all-original Marshall 4x12 and report that is sounds amazing through it.

Here are some pics:

Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Very nice! Your going to have to get an emblem or something for the front... "Gojira"... or ... T REX... or something fitting! :-))

Comment

As soon as the "RJS Amplifiers" badges get delivered, they'll get put on and the rig will ship out to me. Trust me, that can't happen fast enough...

Comment

dude, put "gorilla" on the front and fuck with people's head!!! hahahaha
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
          It's not a bad idea, actually. A buddy of mine saw Allan Holdsworth play several years ago and Allan put a bunch of bicycle-related logos on his equipment just to mess with the gear-heads in the crowd. My buddy, being savvy about bikes, got a big chuckle out that the whole night.

But as the builder of my amp is a good friend of mine, I want to make sure that I spread the word for him as much as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
            Classic! I used to have a Crate logo attached to the front of my Mesa 2:90

Comment

Very classy looking build!

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                Very classy looking build!
                Given your amp background, I thought you'd like it. Did you notice the NOS mustards that he sourced for it?

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by fuel0707 View Post
                    Given your amp background, I thought you'd like it. Did you notice the NOS mustards that he sourced for it?
                    I have a source as well.

The Weber yellows are nice, but I scored a good share of Mallory's.
                    I'm going to try some in the next Cyg build.

Comment

Man, that's a clean, tidy build. I like the fact that there's not a rat's nest of extra wire stuffed in one corner. I vaguely remember someone saying there was a reason for that, but it escapes me at the moment.
                      "POOP"

Comment

Cyg can certainly explain it better than me but sometimes running wires that are carrying heater current with other wires can lead to hum. Also, some wires, if not run correctly or made longer than necessary can cause parasitic oscillation to occur.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
                          Classic! I used to have a Crate logo attached to the front of my Mesa 2:90

I need a crate logo for my amp. It didnt come with one, and it's a crate. Although Every single person who hears it swears it not a crate, its a USA V series ac30/JTM/bassman clone with more gain.
                          www.myspace.com/memnochband
                          www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

Working...
                          X