So I Bought Me A POD XT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I Bought Me A POD XT

These things are interesting. I am not a huge fan of this kind of unit cause you can't get amp dynamics out of them so that is my only gripe.

I got it strictly for recording - to plug directly into my Akai DSP. I think it will get a good enough sound to record with.

Previously I was using the on-board effects of the DSP which I was not happy with. Then I tried a Marshall 6100 and utilized the speaker emulation - extremely noisy. I found out amps with speaker emulators are notoriously super noisy.

So someone over at the Akai board recommended a POD.

I don't typically use a lot of effects cause I like basic tone - an amp, a guitar and some distortion with some occasional reverb or delay.

But this POD is fun - has a lot of cool effects to play with.

Anybody use these for recording on here?
    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

I have an X3Live and love it. Haven't done any 'real' recording with it yet, but it sounds killer plugged straight into the board at practice...
    Greg

'86 Model 1
    '87 Model 2
    '88 Model 3A
    '88 Model 3DR
    '06 TMZ Mahogany Natural

Comment

I use a POD 2.3 for practice with headphones.

Comment

Been a long-time POD advocate. First the 2.0, then the XT and now I just picked up the X3 from GC - $100 off for President's day - sweet deal.

Overall, these things will never replace a raging tube amp, but they sound really really good for headphone practice and recording - especially for apartment dwellers like myself.

With the XT, make sure you check out the extra model packs - definately pick up the Metal Pack and the FX pack. The Metal pack has the ENGL Powerball and the Uberschall models which really sound good for high-gain stuff.

The X3 has all the model packs already installed with it, so you don't need to spend any extra.

What I've found is you need a lot less gain when recording these things than you think - record a bit and listen back, then lower the gain and try again - there is a sweet spot where its not too fizzy.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I've been a Pod user now for a few years. Started with a 2.0 and then moved onto an XT. I used both for recording, and as stated, it won't replace a full tilt tube amp, but for recording, it's been great.
          Don

Comment

Dynamics is in the hands...work it and it will rock the fuck out!
            "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
            Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I've got a Line 6 Gearbox (hardware interface w/modeling software) that I bought a for a song ($100). It's a fun little program and for the money, it can't be beat. However, a 3TM MP-1 through an ADA Ampulator still sounds better and feels better to me.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                Dynamics is in the hands...work it and it will rock the fuck out!
                I agree with that to a point because while your pick attack and volume knob control the dynamics coming from the guitar, the amp has to be able to respond to that. I've yet to find any modeling hardware or software that has the same range of dynamics with high gain that a tube amp/preamp does.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                  I agree with that to a point because while your pick attack and volume knob control the dynamics coming from the guitar, the amp has to be able to respond to that. I've yet to find any modeling hardware or software that has the same range of dynamics with high gain that a tube amp/preamp does.
                  No they're not there yet. It will prolly be in the near futre before they can come close to the dynamics of a tube amp. But there is some amazing players that made some amazing music with SS/modelers. Ex., Jeff Loomis recorded and used a Pod pro live during DHIADW. He's a fucker and his tone was killer. Ironically, I'm trying to emulate THAT tone with my Uberschall..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Yeah dynamics are not the same as an amp. I was recording straight into my Akai DSP using the on board effects and they do not respond like an amp at all.

The POD is better and will sound better but still not remotely close to a touch sensitive amp.

I can get killer tones out of an amp using various finger pressure, picking attacks, pinch harmonics etc.... But this digital stuff does not respond the same way.

Read the forums - even the guys that have the Axe FX say it is the best digital unit out right now and can sound close but still not as good as a real tube amp.

You will still sound like you no matter what you play on. But the nuances of great tone take the proper equipment.

The POD is good enough for recording - I don't want the hassles of having to mic my amp. The POD has settings where you can get the SRV Cold Shot sound or the EVH sound - and they sound pretty good actually less the real amp dynamics. Point being tone is both in the way you play (fingers if that is what you want to call it) AND the equipment that you use and how you use it.
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by shredmonster View Post
                      I don't want the hassles of having to mic my amp.
                      I completely agree which is why I picked up a trio of ADA MicroCabs and a pair of ADA Ampulators. They make any amp or preamp I have sound really good going direct. With ADA coming back on the scene, I hope they start making these pieces again.

I do like the Gearbox and appreciate what modelers can do. I can get much greater variety of tones (and get them quickly) with the Gearbox software than I can with my ADA MP-1s.

Comment

Obviously you don't get the interaction between the guitar and the amp, or really, the speaker... but if you're in the booth, punching in, and your amps mic'd up in the other room, you're not getting that interaction either.
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

I've been pretty happy with the recorded tones of the XT, plus it's nice to be able to play through headphones living in an apartment. Metal Amp Pack is a must IMO.

Comment

best tip i can give you is put those balanced outs to use. - wow what a difference!
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I am a longtime 2.0 user, and I upgraded to the XT when it first came out..but I quickly discovered that now amount of tweaking could get the same nice tones I had on my 2.0, not even the same patches! So I took it back to the store and had to buy another 2.0 (which I -still- use for practicing and direct recording when I write stuff)

you can hear a clip of my new stuff using it here: http://resonant.no/music.html
                              a raw track not mixed or anything...but it has pretty cool riff tone IMHO

anyway, have fun, Line6 products are way cool and affordable

Comment

Working...
                              X