Soldano Hot Rod 50 (not +)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also Joe,

Do you plug straight in to these amps or are you using any pedals?

Comment

How did you date the amp? My hot rod 50+ will be here Friday and I'm curious how old mine is. It's got a slave out and no depth mod so it can't be too recent.
      This space for rent

Comment

Thanks all, I always wanted one and it's cool indeed. I usually front load my amps with pedals, but this doesn't need any, unless you want delays and reverb. Well, the trannies are both dated to 8/92 stamped into the top of them. And, the serial number: 50-0182 corresponds to early Hot Rod origin, which began in 1991. I'll post a link to the website with that data...
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Congrats! I have owned 2 SLO's A HR50 and an Atomic 16. All were great amps/

Comment

Indeed, a great amp. Here's what I found about the serial numbers: "the first Hot Rod 50 was 50-001, and the first American SP77 was 77000. When the Hot Rod 50 serial numbers reached 700 they skipped to 1700 in 1995 and the Hot Rod 50+ assumed the numbers beginning with 50-701. The last Hot Rod 50 was 501987, built in 2005." As per the website: http://www.jedistar.com/jedistar_amp_dating_s.htm

Don, I still dig the Marshalls, always have. I doubt I'll quit playing them. In fact, I might run a stereo rig with the Marshall and the Soldano, best of both worlds.

Comment

What do you like about the Marshalls that the Soldano doesn't have, and vise versa? I can guess that gain is a given, but stuff like bass response, etc?

Also, do you need to hit the Marshalls with a pedal or do you just plug straight in?

Comment

Don, the Marshalls have been with me so long, I rely on them. I've only had the Soldano a few days now. But the Marshalls I use have a certain tone that is hard to explain. For me it is a hard edged driving rock tone that can get clean when you need it to. I run pedals straight through the low input. The Soldano sounds surprisingly good w/o pedals, although I am heavily dependent on pedal tone!

The Soldano has huge bass response, more than my JMP 100 watt or JCM 800 50 watt. But the Marshalls don't lack bass. The Soldano is just deeper. So I need more time with it. Like I mentioned before, it might be the ultimate set up to have a stereo rig: the Marshall on one side with the Soldano on the other.

Comment

Mine was the 5th Hot Rod 50+ built, made in '95. I just got it today from ebay and it is in MINT condition. Sounds Awesome and it came with the original tubes so I got some JJ's for it on order.
                  This space for rent

Comment

i want one!
                    jackson pc-1 chameleon
                    charvel model 4
                    prs ce-24 emerald green
                    ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
                    jackson rr ps 3t
                    ibanez rg 770 lazer red
                    engl thunder 50
                    ibanez rg 565
                    mesa boogie dc-5 head