ADA mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ADA mods?

How many of you have done any of the available mods to your MP1's? I am real interested in doing one but not sure what. I have seen the ADA Depot mods available and the Voodoo mods. I know they have sound clips, but I don't like to judge by those - I don't know what recording techniques and extra equipment is used.
    If you have had a mod done could you let me know the following:
    1. Mod (by who)?
    2. How much?
    3. What tone (guitarist's sound you were after)?
    4. Was it worth the time and effort?
    Thanks.

i had an mp1 at one time...the only thing i had to do to it was put groovetubes in it...after that it was a tone machine...d.m.
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I've got (3) MP-1s, each with mods to some degree or another. All of them done by JMP (in Belgium) over at the ADA depot. Two of the preamps I bought with the mods already done and 1 preamp I sent to him myself.

As far as pricing goes, I would check out JMP's website (linked at the ADA Depot) for a current list of pricing on all the available mods.

I wasn't going for one particular guitarist's tone but rather just the 80s tone I grew up on. Basically that elusive hot rodded Marshall tone. Some folks are perfectly happy getting this tone out of a stock MP-1 because that's what it was made for. However, I wanted a bit more gain, no more/a little less noise, better dynamics and that's where the mods come.

The main mod I have on (2) of my MP-1s is the 3TM, or 3 tube mod. While it makes the clean tube channel dirty (somewhere between a JCM800 and Plexi but not as good), it makes the dirty tube channel scream. I love, love, LOVE it.

The other big mod I have on (2) of my MP-1s (one with the 3TM and the other with the stock 2 tube board) is the improved transformer. This mod really opens up the dynamic range and responsiveness of the MP-1. I really noticed the difference between before and after.

Minor mods are the battery mod which replaces the stock soldered-in version with a standard snap-in type that anyone can replace. The noise mod replaces a few components to reduce the overall noise. I can't say I noticed a big difference in this mod but for the price, it's worth it.

Was it worth it? I spent $700 on the fully mod'd MP-1 and I love that thing to death. I don't recall what I spent on the 3TM/no transformer version but it was a bit less ($500?). The stock MP-1 w/transformer upgrade was a good deal. I got the stock preamp for $150 and transformer, noise and battery upgrades were around $200-$225). Eventually I will get the (2) non-loaded MP-1s fully upgraded but for now, I'm happy with just 1 fully loaded version. I just have to stop spending money on guitars. Hope all that helps.

Comment

I've had a stock MP1 since '87-'88 and I have yet to find anything that beats it for 80's metal tones, including the modded units. I can't remember which of the mods that I tried (I believe a Voodoo and whatever preceded the 3TM mod) but I didn't feel that they really added anything worthwhile. There was definitely more gain, which is completely unnecessary IMO...if you need any more gain than the stock unit dishes up for 80's style metal (think Ratt, Dokken, Ozzy, etc), then your technique most likely blows.

Bottom line is get a stock one...if it doesn't do what you need, look to have it modded (or buy a modded one), or perhaps look to something else altogether (the Marshall JMP1 is a great unit as well, I just prefer the MP1).

Also, a BBE unit matches up to the MP1 in a great way...I highly recommend one.

Edit: d.m.'s comment on upgrading the tubes (2 x 12AX7) is also key
        Last edited by Rupe; 02-24-2009, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
          ...if you need any more gain than the stock unit dishes up for 80's style metal (think Ratt, Dokken, Ozzy, etc), then your technique most likely blows.
          More gain is not a question of technique, it's a question of sustain and available gain if you need it.

I constantly ride my volume knobs to increase or decrease the guitar's output to vary the gain. I have at (2) guitars (LP w/PAFs and a Brian May sig model) that do not have the oomph of my Tone Zone equipped guitars. The fact is I would rather have more gain and not need it than have less gain than I want.

I do agree that starting with a stock MP-1 is the way to go. I'm using my stock MP-1 right now as a little practice rig but it's still not the same, regardless of gain, as the 3TM versions.

I'm also running my MP-1s direct so I'm not getting any power amp distortion. Even my ADA Ampulators, which have a 12AX7 to simulate a power tube section, are not set to add any overdrive.
          Last edited by Matt_B; 02-24-2009, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Also, a BBE unit matches up to the MP1 in a great way...I highly recommend one.
            ...and I completely disagree with this. I'm very familiar with what sonic maximizers do to an audio signal and never found them necessary for any guitar rig. I know a lot of folks swear by them but for a guitar rig, they are a waste of money IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
              More gain is not a question of technique, it's a question of sustain and available gain if you need it.
              If you are playing the music that I described, then you don't "need it" if your technique is good. Those guys used much less gain than what the ADA is capable of. I can get all the sustain I would ever need out of stock Strat pickups (much less output than a PAF) through my rig.

Regarding the BBE, we'll agree to disagree. Perhaps you don't care for it because you are running direct. Mine is part of the following rack system:

MP1/Intellifex/Replifex/BBE/Hush IICX/Mesa 2:90.

The BBE adds a small bit of presence and tightness that the stock ADA lacks through this rig. It sounds great without it, even better with it.

Comment

If you are playing the music that I described, then you don't "need it" if your technique is good.
                Let's keep this civil by not insulting everyone (myself included) by subjecting them to your standards regarding what constitutes "good technique" and "enough gain". We can offer opinions and advice to others without belittling the technical playing abilities of others.

Regarding the BBE, we'll agree to disagree. Perhaps you don't care for it because you are running direct. Mine is part of the following rack system:
                Yes, we can agree to disagree but in all my years of playing (26), I've never wanted a BBE in my rig, even when running through a live rig ( various tube preamps and effects processors) with a power amp (tube or SS) and guitar cabs (1x12 or 4x12). I do believe that for recording or sound reinforcement, sonic maxmizers can be very beneficial. I sold quite a few sonic maximizers to a lot of different guitar players over the years but I could never drink that particular brand of Kool Aid.

Comment

I've been a loyal fan and user of an Mp1 for the past 5 or so years now...
                  I have never done any mods to my Mp1 as of yet, other than changing the tubes, and going to an Ecc 81 in V1 along with an Ecc 83 in V2. The stock Mp1 to me has more than enough gain for my needs, in fact a little more than I want hence the Ecc81... I find this combo still give me plenty of gain, but a little more smoothness, and warmth.
                  I also use a BBE in my current rack which consists of the Mp1, G Major, Quadraverb (ran through the effects loop of the Mp1, and only used on two of my presets) and the BBE into a Classic 50/50 power amp. Pretty basic rig, but it does the job for me, and I couldn't be happier with the tone.
                  I play a lot of 80's metal, with various guitars (Kramers, Charvel, Ibanez and a Wolfgang) none of which have overly hot pups. This seems to work well for my needs...
                  Every one has there own tastes when it comes to tone, as it is such a subjective matter.
                  The bottom line is you need to decide what you want, and like... I'd suggest trying the Mp1 stock, and go from there
                  Don

Comment

Regarding gain, once you get past the pickup's output, there are the gain settings on the preamp itself.

On my 3TMs, set both gains at either 6 or 6.5 (don't remember precisely which one) and one my non-3TM, I set it at either 7 or 7.5.

How much gain you have isn't just about sustain, it's about tone and how the guitar responds which is why I'm constantly tweaking the guitar's volume knob. How much gain is not enough, too much, or just right sounds like a fairy tale - "Goldilocks and the Three MP-1s".

Comment

I use the volume knob on the guitar a lot myself
                      As far as gain settings on my Mp1, I run OD1 between 3-5 and OD2 between 5-7 just varies from preset to preset, and what I'm looking for... I have 7 settings that I have tweaked from clean, mild, dirty to full grit that are my main settings I use.
                      Don

Comment

As well, don't forget the MP1 has a limited EQ section, so your tonal options can expand greatly with an external EQ unit (10 bands or more preferred).

I run my (stock as far as I know) MP-1 which I bought used in the early-mid 90s into a Digitech TSR-12, which I use for tone-shaping EQ (can dial in everything from scooped mids to boosted mids - Metallica to Schenker) and FX.

I'm not overly fond of the MP-1 by itself. I want more from a preamp than just "hot glass" and could never understand why anyone thought a straight preamp sounded good. I've stood in front of "mythical" JCM800 100w heads on a 4x12 cab and thought "meh".

I wanted the sound I heard on the records coming through my stereo, not the sound of the raw amp. The TSR-12 with the MP-1 gives me that "recorded tone".
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          As well, don't forget the MP1 has a limited EQ section, so your tonal options can expand greatly with an external EQ unit (10 bands or more preferred).
                          I agree with that though I would prefer a parametric EQ over a graphic EQ. I can set up a parametric for guitar more quickly and get a result I like. Even then, the EQ on the MP-1 isn't that limited compared to most amps. I leave my EQ pretty flat anyways though I do use the ADA Ampulator for real-time analog control.

Comment

I will admit that I use the eq in the G Major to do a little extra tweaking myself
                            Don

Comment

I sent my mp1 to mjmp and got the mod4, added the 3tm ultra upgrades tone caps, jacks, everything, sadly no upgraded transformer as they have been on hold for a long time.
                              price of everything with mods, shipping ect, was, well no more expensive than voodoo, and he is doing much more to it.
                              Sounds wise, well everyone has different gear, i'm using it thru an mq-1 and a microcab into a mixer.
                              it sounds kinda like an mp-1 a bit but what i hear and is a much crisper distortion, maybe a bit less compressed in general, bit quieter, tighter.
                              Back to back at the same settings on stock and mod, the mod is less fat but more focused.
                              The difference to me is maybe the mod4 sounds more modern,
                              I prefer the mod4 overall because i like a focused clean distortion,
                              stock is a bit ratty for me, but has a great tone for leads.
                              found out my ibanez 7321 with just the stock blaze or whatever pickups sounds great now, didn't before.

Comment

Working...
                              X