No announcement yet.

ADA mods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a non-modded one, and I didn't think you needed to do anything to it. This is one great preamp of a unit. A mod might change it, but not make it better may be different. I sold it, but that was silly and only because I had too much gear and was trying to recover a few bucks. Should never have done it, call it short-sighted. I might get one again, and I don't think I need to mod it ever.

Comment

Thanks everyone!!! Got more info than I expected. For now, I will fiddle with the stock unit (try different tubes) and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
        I've had a stock MP1 since '87-'88 and I have yet to find anything that beats it for 80's metal tones, including the modded units. I can't remember which of the mods that I tried (I believe a Voodoo and whatever preceded the 3TM mod) but I didn't feel that they really added anything worthwhile. There was definitely more gain, which is completely unnecessary IMO...if you need any more gain than the stock unit dishes up for 80's style metal (think Ratt, Dokken, Ozzy, etc), then your technique most likely blows.
        For those who are reading but not posting I would like to take a moment clarify;

We do not add more gain to the MP-1 but rather we restructure the gain that is presently there, which can be heard in the sound clips we host on our website. By comparison the 3TM Mod does add an additional 12AX7/preamp tube and as such it does add more gain to the MP-1's.

Thank you for reading and have a great day;
        Trace

Comment

Mine is modded by Voodoo. It's the Deluxe Mod. I love the new patches Trace!
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I just picked up an MP-1 myself, the whole time thinking I would get it modded. But, when I started playing around with it, I really like the sounds I can get as is. That's not to say a mod won't improve on that, but I'm a little cautious now b/c I wouldn't want it to change in a way that I don't end up liking the unit.

I will admit that I use the eq in the G Major to do a little extra tweaking myself
            Don--is the EQ in the G-Major enough to get the job done? I just started putting my rack together so I haven't spent a whole lot of time messing with everything just yet. I have the MP-1, G-Major, BBE 362 and my X100b as the power source for now.

Comment

A heads up,
              MJMP from ADADepot has a hook up for the original manufacturer
              of Machinators acclaimed MDRT transformer for the Mp-1.
              He is going to be ordering a batch i guess, i don't know how many as of yet.
              The mp-1 had gone thru a handfull of version changes, and different suppliers of parts over time.
              I believe the two transformers in them were either japanese made, or mexican made transformers, with the japanese made ones believed to be superior.
              At any rate, just a heads up, i will be getting one as the final piece of my fully upgraded unit, i just wish they were available when i shipped my mp-1 to him originally.
              A few parts need to be added or swaped out along with it, he has said he will be providing kits, and has mentioned sending a batch to a single person in the states, and having them distributed out that way.
              Anyone that wants one i would suggest posting and getting in line to get yours

Comment

I've got 2 MP-1's(1 modded) and also a Hafler T3, jackson pre and peavey rockmaster but Hafler wins - clean, heavy, defined lows. Pair this with an alesis micro eq and hello tone...

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbone View Post
                  I will admit that I use the eq in the G Major to do a little extra tweaking myself
                  Where is the EQ in a GMajor? I cant find it... love the Major, but
                  how do i get to tweak the EQ? Sure i found the + or - in db boost..
                  but is there a deeper tweak? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Burns View Post
                    Where is the EQ in a GMajor? I cant find it... love the Major, but how do i get to tweak the EQ? Sure i found the + or - in db boost..but is there a deeper tweak? Thanks
                    If you're looking for a graphic EQ, you won't find you. The G Major has a parametric EQ. If you're not familiar with how to set up the EQ, break out the manual and read a few pages.

Comment

Robert,
                      The EQ is in the noise gate section. Double tap on the noise gate button to get to the editing section, and then scroll past the noise gate settings, the EQ is after that. Three bands parametric as Matt stated Great for adding a little tweak here and there
                      Don

Comment

I just had my MP-1 modded to 3.666 by MJMP from ADADepot because i absolutely suck at the soldering iron. He does clean honest work. Mod 3.666 gives the MP-1 the Mesa Rectifier ("Recto") tone and then some. Nice dark and evil!

I use a BBE 422a... YES! I USE A BBE! Nothing wrong with a BBE! The 422a adds another "layer" of Rectifier tone and it allows you to taylor & shape your tone to your liking. The gain is FANTASTIC! I love it!
                        [sigpic=true][/sigpic]

Comment

Originally posted by Treachery View Post
                          I use a BBE 422a... YES! I USE A BBE! Nothing wrong with a BBE!
                          Of course there's nothing wrong with it...if you like it.

Comment

Working...
                          X