Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Mark III head (Green Stripe, SimulClass, Rev,EQ)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Mark III head (Green Stripe, SimulClass, Rev,EQ)

I may pick up this head and need some input. I had a Studio 22 and 50 Cal that were okay for what I play, but I didn't keep them. Is the Mark 3 any better/worse? My main amps are currently a JVM, B-52 AT and a Triple Rectifier. Would this compliment the 2 that I already have?

What would be this amp's value, as I would probably trade my Dragon and would need something else from the traders side.

Thanx - Pete

I always thought of the Mark as a thrash amp. Just listen to old Anthrax(Among The Living and before) and ...and Justice For All. To me that is what that amp is all about, which is why I love the Mark III.
    I think the Mark series amps are the best that Mesa makes so I think it is much better than the Studio 22 and the .50 cal. The .50 sounded like a little amp compared to the III, both were ran through the same 4X12 cab.
    The value depends on the condition. Is it a long head of short head? If it is nice I would guess any where between $750 and $1200.

Comment

it's one of the most versatile amps ever... there's not much it can't do... takes time to tweak all the tones though
      "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

Buy this and keep it forever, and you still won't have used all of its capabilities!
        You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

you'll love it once you get the hang of it. it's very sensitive.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Great amp!! Very heavy tone with a good clean channel. I would not pay more than $900 -$1000 for it. I grabbed my blue stripe fully loaded combo in mint condition for $600 a couple years ago. IMO the only better amp that I have played is the Mesa Mark IV. Gassing for thre Mark V now.
            CURRENT GEAR SET UP
            2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
            1989 JACKSON KING V
            1984 JACKSON RR
            AXE FX II
            MESA BOOGIE 2:90
            DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
            FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
            (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
            (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

The deal is done - I'm picking the amp up over the weekend. I'm getting the amp, a case, footswitch plus cash for my Dragon. Plus an extra set of power tubes. Can't wait to get it. Doesn't Petrucci use a Mark 3 or a 2c?

Comment

Originally posted by lhrocker View Post
                The deal is done - I'm picking the amp up over the weekend. I'm getting the amp, a case, footswitch plus cash for my Dragon. Plus an extra set of power tubes. Can't wait to get it. Doesn't Petrucci use a Mark 3 or a 2c?
                JP used Mark IIc+ and now using the mark IV. He also used the Road King for a while.
                CURRENT GEAR SET UP
                2005 JACKSON SOLOIST
                1989 JACKSON KING V
                1984 JACKSON RR
                AXE FX II
                MESA BOOGIE 2:90
                DMC GROUND CONTROL PRO
                FURMAN POWER CONDITIONER
                (2) MESA BOOGIE 4X12 RECTO CABINETS
                (2) MESA BOOGIE 2X12 RECTO CABINETS

Comment

Originally posted by KINGSFAN View Post
                  JP used Mark IIc+ and now using the mark IV. He also used the Road King for a while.
                  I heard that JP was using the Stiletto too. He is an amp whore like the rest of us. I am sure he uses a ton of amps in the studio that nobody talks about because of endorsements.

Comment

Pete, if you decide you don't like it I would appreciate dibs on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                      Pete, if you decide you don't like it I would appreciate dibs on it.
                      No problem John

Comment

John - you giving the MkIII another chance?
                        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
                        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

glad to hear you grabbed this.
                          I've had my Red stripe for a few months now and it is easily the best amp I've ever owned.
                          With an MXR 10 band EQ in the loop (along with the on board GEQ) and a good clean boost in front, there isn't much that this amp can't do.
                          It's every thing I wish my Rectoverb was, but wasn't.
                          Last edited by kmanick; 03-01-2009, 09:02 PM.
                          If this is our perdition, will you walk with me?

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
                            John - you giving the MkIII another chance?
                            What I want to do is sell my Carvin Legacy and buy Pete's Mark III.
                            The Legacy is a fantastic amp. You really need to hear one to appreciate it. Mine is mint and comes with the footswitch and a really nice road case.
                            ITs a fantastic amp. Dead quiet, tons of gain, great features. It sounds exactly like the clips Vai has on Youtube. EXACTLY.
                            The trick is to sell it locally. I have been talking to Pete about it. I think the Legacy would be something he would really dig because he likes a good smooth gain. Vai has some clips on Youtube playing his Legacy's live. Believe me.. the amp sounds exactly like the clips. Just add some delay.

BTW.. the hidden feature that Vai talks about is really true. Put the gain on 7 (which is a ton of gain) and you can roll back the guitar volume and the amp gets completely pristine clean.
                            It also takes pedals REALLY well in both the loop and out in front of the clean channel.
                            Throw a G-major in the loop and you could be Vai if you could play like him.
                            Last edited by jgcable; 03-01-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KINGSFAN View Post
                              His sound was always lifeless, dark and uninviting. Not a very good example. IMHO of course, but sometimes really gifted musicians are tone deaf. And make no mistake, I love his playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X