peavey vypyr amps any good ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peavey vypyr amps any good ?

just wondering looking for a new amp currently have a line 6 spider 3 looking for something new i like the look of the new vox vt amps but duno if they would be suited for metal was considering the peavvey vypyr amps but ered sum bad and good reviews so any suggestions

cheers

I've been using a peavey vyper 30 for the last couple of months ..as a practice amp it is superb, great range of sounds available from it, can do screaming 80's metal to warm overdrive with no problems at all

for bedroom rocking I can't see by it..however I find when you crank it up a bit it loses some of it's character, if I still played live I don't think I would use it.

great range of effects and plenty of channels..the only other downside is the footswitch for it is bloody expensive!

Comment

I saw someone getting great sounds out of it. It looks kind of cheesy with all the flashing LED's and stuff. I'm a little worried about it being "new", like could there be bugs with it.

I thought the regular Vox VT series got up to Heavy Metal fairly well. I'm not sure if it's brutal enough for death metal or other really hard core stuff. To me, if I can get a good Iron Maiden or Judas Priest tone, I'm happy.

Comment

I saw someone getting great sounds out of it. It looks kind of cheesy with all the flashing LED's and stuff.
        I saw that the other day and almost started laughing in GC

Comment

NO!!!! I work at a store where we sell those and they have a 40% failure rating. Get the line 6 spider.
          This space for rent

Comment

Or the new Vox VT series, they kick ass
            This space for rent

Comment

I had heard the first run had a high percentage failure rate however the problem supposedly has been sorted, I did look into these, and most clips do sound good, I'd perosnally look into the new vox VT series aswell..

Comment

Hi. If you look at the most recent thread about 'help buying a practice amp..top dog', or something like that, there is a TON of feedback/info that might help. I tried out both the Vyper and Spyder and found them both difficult to operate and even understand (me stoopid). So, I wound up buying a VOX AD15VT yesterday after searching for a few weeks. I'm still testing it, but right now it's doing good job. Good luck.
                Yesterday is history; tomorrow is a mystery; but today is a gift; that's why it is called the present.

Comment

We've sold a bunch of these and haven't had one single unit returned due to failure. I have them in stock and will beat anybody's prices if you're looking!

Matt

Matt's Music Center
                  35 Pleasant St
                  Weymouth MA 02190 USA
                  781-335-0700
                  www.mattsmusic.com
                  --------------------------------
                  6 months 0% Financing Available
                  Gibson Custom Shop Super Dealer
                  John Suhr and Tom Anderson Custom Guitars Dealer
                  Now shipping Mesa/Boogie amps anywhere in the USA!
                  Special deals for JCF members on Jackson/Charvel, Suhr, Anderson, Nash, Splawn, Bogner, LSL, Ibanez, Diezel, Friedman, Bad Cat, 3rd Power, Dr. Z, ENGL and more. FREE SHIPPING! 0% FINANCING!

Comment

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but the Vypyr is at the top of my list for a bedroom practice amp, particularly the Tube 60 model. Does anyone have any experience with that model? Is it overkill for practicing at home?

I'm usually not into modeling amps; I've tried POD 2.0, Spider III, Flextone II, Vetta, AD50VT and always come away unimpressed. The Vox was my favorite of those since it managed to give some of that tube response.
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                      Sorry to resurrect this thread
                      Damn you!

No, I'm loaded up with practice amps and haven't been shopping. I still hear good things about the Vyper, and I guess it may be safe now since everyone else has found the bugs.

I still like the POD 2.3 the most since I can get a big amp sound with headphones. The VT15 is a little too loud for the apartment. The PODxt has a lot more stuff, but I like the simple good tone I can get out of the 2.3. My Fender G-DEC is at my house - I need to move it back to the apartment.

Comment

I have a vyper in my bedroom, sure the flashing LED's are a bit too much and all the preset/bank stuff is a TINY bit daunting BUT.... there are so many different sounds you can get out of it, i think its great! not had a problem with it yet, its a 75 so its a bit too loud for the bedroom so i have to be careful, but i figured if the amp i have at the practice room ever dies then i can use the vyper instead.
                        Double Rhoads "Vader" Custom.
                        Double Rhoads "Empire" Custom.

EVH 5150III Head and Cabs
                        ISP Decimator Pedal
                        Sony Wireless Systems
                        Ernie Ball Strings 52-10

www.facebook.com/evileuk

Comment

Does anyone have the tube version? I'm curious if it warrants the higher price. I love the response and feel you get from a tube amp, and if Peavey has managed to model this with a tube power section, then that makes it all the more attractive.

EvileMatt - how does it sound? Does it sound organic or processed? Can you compare it to any Line 6 or Vox Valvetronix stuff?
                          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                            Does anyone have the tube version? I'm curious if it warrants the higher price. I love the response and feel you get from a tube amp, and if Peavey has managed to model this with a tube power section, then that makes it all the more attractive.

EvileMatt - how does it sound? Does it sound organic or processed? Can you compare it to any Line 6 or Vox Valvetronix stuff?
                            I don't own either amp so I suggest you get more opinions. However, I've thoroughly tested these for a few hours each.
                            I thought it sounded better than my friends line 6.

I was thinking I'd be disappointed on the 60W tube at low volumes, but you know what? it sounded better than all the other MG 15s, 15w amps at the same volume. Putting it on just 1 wasn't bad at all. Of course it got "thicker" at 2 and up but it was quite acceptable, and not disturbing enough if you're concerned about that.

I think I might buy the 30W though just cause I need the money to upgrade the pickups, and setup the guitar that I can't quiet afford the Tube version. A nice thick sound came out of both the amps.

Maybe down the road I can get a tube pedal to preamp the amp and I'll have something just as good. If I need volume to gig, I can mic it to a PA. Any bad idea about that? I'm thinking practically for economy wise. If I had money I wouldn't need to be as creative.
                            Equipment
                            -Jackson Kelly Std. Professional J003908 (blood red) w/TB-5
                            -Marshall MG15 CDR hosted by
                            -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

Okay, I got the Vypyr 15. I decided to go small since this is really just a practice amp and there's no point in me getting something bigger since I already have an amp for gigs/rehearsing. Plus the Vypyr 30 just didn't sound as good to my ears.

Pros:
                              - Very realistic response; the preamp will break up sooner if you attack the strings a bit harder
                              - authentic sounding AC30 and Plexi models
                              - price
                              - 8" speaker has a surprising presence...doesn't sound weak at all
                              - gets very loud for 15W...not quite enough for a whole band, but plenty for open-mic night gigs with a quiet drummer.

Cons:
                              - the high gain models all sound the same with slightly different EQs. This is a common complaint of mine with all modeling amps though.
                              - to save a custom preset, you have to erase a factory preset.
                              - it always starts up on preset A-1 rather than the last used settings
                              - can't use it with a footswitch (all of the other models have a MIDI in)

Overall, a very good choice if you're looking for an inexpensive bedroom "noodling" amp. It makes me even more curious about the tube versions.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X