peavey vypyr amps any good ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
    I just picked up a 75 watt Vyper at GC for $250 + tax. They had the rebate form for the Sanpera I pedal. The salesmen at GC didn't know anything about these amps and the submenus for the different effects—they were no help at all. I think it’s a great deal for a practice amp, but I'm tempted to get the 60 watt tube version to demo at home.

The only thing that puts me off of the tube version of any of these modeling amps is the fact that tubes generate heat and heat is a problem for computer processors. Maybe someone knows a reason why this wouldn't be an issue with the tube-powered modeling amps. Also I saw a demo of the Vypyr Tube 60 and they briefly compared the tone of the Tube 60 to the Vypyr 75 on the A1 preset. I thought the 75 sounded crisper and nicer on that setting, which sounded like a metal distortion setting. Of course that's watching a Youtube clip and listening through headphones on my computer late at night.
    Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
      Also I saw a demo of the Vypyr Tube 60 and they briefly compared the tone of the Tube 60 to the Vypyr 75 on the A1 preset. I thought the 75 sounded crisper and nicer on that setting, which sounded like a metal distortion setting. Of course that's watching a Youtube clip and listening through headphones on my computer late at night.
      The highs really do come through on the distorted amp settings of the 75, but the bass lacks the punch that the 60 has. I'm starting a thread about this since I have a JCM 2000 I might buy an amp modeler/effects unit to use with it.

Edit--here's the link http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105473
      Last edited by Trussrod; 04-04-2010, 07:57 PM.

Comment

I just returned the 75 today. I explained how the amp worked and the salesman at GC was eager to learn how to use the multifunction knobs on the amp--lol. I think I'll stick with the JCM2000 for now.

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
          The only thing that puts me off of the tube version of any of these modeling amps is the fact that tubes generate heat and heat is a problem for computer processors. Maybe someone knows a reason why this wouldn't be an issue with the tube-powered modeling amps. Also I saw a demo of the Vypyr Tube 60 and they briefly compared the tone of the Tube 60 to the Vypyr 75 on the A1 preset. I thought the 75 sounded crisper and nicer on that setting, which sounded like a metal distortion setting. Of course that's watching a Youtube clip and listening through headphones on my computer late at night.

A1 is a Peavey 6505 lead channel with some delay.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by beachjammer View Post
            I just got the Vypyr 15 and I'm gonna send it back. I didn't like any of the tones in it even when I hooked it up to a bigger speaker. The tones are too buzz saw and fizzy sounding to me. Plus it's obviously digital sounding. Some digital amps mask the fact that they're digital pretty well but not this one IMO.
            Agreed. I tried the Vypyr 30 recently because I was tired of lugging the Flextone II on road trips and needed something much more portable. Personally, I thought the Vypyr sucked donkey balls. It was hard to get it to fully saturate, but when it finally did, it had that classic Peavey "well executed fart" kind of tone. I said ""no, thanks." I've given Peavey many chances to impress me over the years, but they haven't yet.

So I decided to accept defeat and just carry the POD 2.6 along with an amp to run it across. Off to Guitar center I went and tried the Line 6 Micro Spider, the Roland MicroCube (which I've owned before), and the Vox DA5. I bought the Vox because it has excellent cleans, but mainly because it sounded much less "toylike" than the others. The clean and crunch tones are excellent. The HiGain tones are so-so, but it doesn't matter because I let the POD handle the shredder tones.
            Last edited by PowerTube; 04-08-2010, 03:23 PM.
            Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by guitardudeluke View Post
              just wondering looking for a new amp currently have a line 6 spider 3 looking for something new i like the look of the new vox vt amps but duno if they would be suited for metal was considering the peavvey vypyr amps but ered sum bad and good reviews so any suggestions

cheers
              If I were you I'd save and get a real tube/valve amp. Line 6 Spider Valve, Peavey Vypyr Tube, or Peavey 6505+ 112, Laney LC15/30/50, and Marshall DSL401 are all great. Some can be picked up used for around £200-300.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                I still like mine. Strange problem though.

If the room is colder (like 65 or lower) I have to let the amp "warm up" in christmas-light mode or it will freeze. Warmer temps are no problem.
                This is common with the Vypyrs, as they have both hard drives and processors, which are temperature-sensitive. Trust me, I build custom computers!

I can't easily explain why it would freeze at a lower temperature, but components sensitive to temperature are exactly that.

my house is constantly around 70, which may explain why i;ve never encountered this problem with computers... I've never actually attempted to boot a computer in 65 degrees... Must try that!
                I like EL34s.

Comment

I am mixed about the Vypyr. I've had the little 15w for about 6 or 8 months. It is good for messing around but I do find if you are in the mood to let it rip a little bit it really starts to sound fizzy and digital at decent (not loud) volume. At low volume, it is great. I am going to pick up something soon, like the new Blackstar HT-20, Jet City 20 or another small tuber for when the wife is not home.

Comment

Working...
                  X