Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So frustrated trying to deal with amps and guitars.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried a Single Rec? If you like the tone, it doesn't get much more "plug-n-play" than that.
    Scott

Comment

If money is not the main concern, look into an Axe-Fx It can do anything and everything at any volume and all the effects you could ever want are onboard already. Not only that, but they are high quality effects and sounds
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
        If money is not the main concern, look into an Axe-Fx It can do anything and everything at any volume and all the effects you could ever want are onboard already. Not only that, but they are high quality effects and sounds
        I meant, I'm not worried about the money I've spent. I don't want to spend more though.

But seriously, I still don't like digital stuff. I know it sounds great, but I have a problem with it.
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Is it at all possible that the Laney isn't sounding 100% original even after your Tech fixed it? Maybe a tube change or speaker change. Laney's came with Fane speakers, which seem to be just as popular as Celestions but are very hard to find. My AOR 50 Combo didn't have the original speaker. At first I tried a G12M Greenback, but a 25 watt speaker in a 50 watt amp worried me so much I was afraid to play it. The new V30 in the cab sounds great now.

Also, for the first time ever last week I tried a LP Deluxe (2001?). The mini pickups didn't sound that bad until I tried a regular LP and it was like night and day (much fatter). Of course these classic style minis, so they supposed to be thin I guess.

I'm puzzled why you went from the King V to the Deluxe with the minis, hope it wasn't a bad idea.

Comment

Let me know if you want to dump the Les Paul Deluxe!
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
              Have you tried a Single Rec? If you like the tone, it doesn't get much more "plug-n-play" than that.
              That's highly subjective..and you can count me as one those subjections.

I went through what Zeegs is experiencing..the frustration, money and all. Chasing my tail for years on end..fuck my ass!

Luckily, I found the tones that work best for me and stuck with them. Free at last..free at last..horned god almighty..I'm fee at last.

People, including myself can shout our favorite amps/gear all day long, but that won't help really..other than suggesting options, but not solutions. We can only wish it was that easy, and to some it may be.

We all have the perfect tone in our heads. Trying to actually hear it can be an expensive, mentally draining, cold and lonely quest that can lead to erectile disfuntion and possible death.

No matter what amp we settle on, we are going to sound exactly like ourselves anywhoo..which could be a good thing.

Das what I tink!!
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

It's even more fun when you start trying to build the tone that is in your head.
                But that is my object.

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                  It's even more fun when you start trying to build the tone that is in your head.
                  But that is my object.
                  But that payoff is unfugginbelievable!!!

I always hung out in Dr Z's shop..everday..playin' with all his toys. But that was his buisness. I knew a guy some years ago name Dane Beamish who made his own 100wt amp. That fucker actually sounded pretty killer. He was in my old drummer's cover band. It kinda sounded like a 5150 with less lows ..to my memory.

You guys are crazy..but I envy you. I can't do that kinda shit. I'm much too stupid and lazy..
                  "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                  Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                    But that payoff is unfugginbelievable!!!

I always hung out in Dr Z's shop..everday..playin' with all his toys. But that was his buisness. I knew a guy some years ago name Dane Beamish who made his own 100wt amp. That fucker actually sounded pretty killer. He was in my old drummer's cover band. It kinda sounded like a 5150 with less lows ..to my memory.

You guys are crazy..but I envy you. I can't do that kinda shit. I'm much too stupid and lazy..
                    I am just going by what Paul said. He said that he really digs the JCM900 sound. That 900 was mine. I know exactly what it sounded like. The Soldano SLO100 would blow his mind. I owned one of those too.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      I meant, I'm not worried about the money I've spent. I don't want to spend more though.

But seriously, I still don't like digital stuff. I know it sounds great, but I have a problem with it.
                      But this isn't your ordinary digital stuff. I bet most people couldn't tell the difference if blindfolded The Axe Fx is truly amazing!
                      Rudy
                      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                        But this isn't your ordinary digital stuff. I bet most people couldn't tell the difference if blindfolded The Axe Fx is truly amazing!

Paul is a tube guy. He would certainly be able to tell.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                          Thats what many on the gearpage forum thought too, but many got fooled Besides, these big tube amps don't exactly sound their greatest at bedroom volumes while the Axe Fx can sound like a cranked tube amp but at low volume. Don't get me wrong, I still love my tube amps too and not getting rid of them any time soon (Bogner Uberschall, Bogner Ecstacy 101B, Mesa Dual Recto, Randall RM100, Marshall 1959RR) but the Axe Fx really does solve a lot of problems in many situations. Heck, you can totally ignore the amp/cab stuff in it later down the line and just use it for the effects with your favorite tube amp which are Evintide quality
                          Rudy
                          www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                            Thanks John. Yeah, I've heard tons of Axe FX clips over on HCAF, and I haven't heard a single clip that sounded impressive to me. Some of them did sound tubey, but there was something cold, and sterile about them. I suppose if someone liked a cold, sterile sounding tube amp, then they'd be happy with the Axe FX.

I like an amp that has that warm, chewy, chunky sound to it. Think of Jerry Cantrell on Dirt. My 900 does it VERY well.
                            Last edited by zeegler; 03-01-2009, 03:09 PM.
                            Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                              Thanks John. Yeah, I've heard tons of Axe FX clips over on HCAF, and I haven't heard a single clip that sounded impressive to me. Some of them did sound tubey, but there was something cold, and sterile about them. I suppose if someone liked a cold, sterile sounding tube amp, then they'd be happy with the Axe FX.

I like an amp that has that warm, chewy, chunky sound to it. Think of Jerry Cantrell on Dirt. My 900 does it VERY well.
                              Met too bro. Axe FX sounds like a really good version of the real thing. Its just too correct and sterile sounding.

Comment

The problem with clips is that they are clips. The Dual Recto factory preset in my Axe Fx sounds massive through a QSC powered monitor. Its just something you have to hear in person to believe. When I played mine out live our drummer thought it was the best guitar he's leard live. My singer, well he couldn't get used to the idea that there was no big amp on stage, just the Axe-Fx with the QSC on a pole and running direct to front of house Anyway, you guys are free to believe what you want but I would caution about going simply by clips. Many great tube amps sound crappy in clips too. For example, my favorite high gain amp the Uberschall has many clips on youtube but not many of them sound good tone wise to me compared the Uber I play live.
                                Rudy
                                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Working...
                                X