JVM Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JVM Problem

So I picked up a new JVM today. Had it on layaway for the past 2 weeks. Played fine in the store, but today I noticed that when I click on the "master 2" for boost, sometimes it comes on, sometimes it crackles and comes on, and sometimes it come on at all. Everything else on the amp works fine; it's just the master 2/boost that's acting up. Obviously, I'm going to take it back to the store, but before I do, just wondering what it could be. According to schematics, the master 2 doesn't correspond to any particular tube, but I'm not sure. The "master 1" works fine. Any ideas?
    My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Take it bck and snag another one. Is it new?

Comment

Sounds like it might be a crappy tube?

http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/FAQs/faqs.html
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

Yeah, it's new. I contacted my dealer via e-mail about a return. It was supposed to be a floor model clearance item, but it's still new, right? I mean, it wasn't marked used ... he just told me it was on clearance. And I had it on layaway for about 3 weeks. So my guess is they'll swap it out with no problem. If they give me a hassle and say they've got to do warranty work or something, I'll pull the ol' 30 day "warranty of merchantability" out of the hat and tell them I'm gonna sue their asses in small claims court if they don't give me a new one.

Comment

Get a new one. When those new amps start off with problems they tend to turn into lemons.

Comment

This vid details the problem I'm having with the master 2 boost. I click the master on and off a couple times throughout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhoHk7IGM5U

Comment

just make sure that if you are not using the loops TURN THEM OFF!!! this is where your clicks and pops are coming from.

i demoed the JVM at Sam Ash with my coverband playing on the instore stage. the amp sounded great but half way through our set it started poping, clicking, and cutting in and out. i went back behind it and turned the loops off and it worked flawless for the rest of the set.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Loops are off. That wasn't it.

Took it back to the store today and the guy's got his Marshall rep sending a new one. I got to take the old one home so I'll be able to play it for now and then get a new one in a week or so. After looking at it, he told me he thinks it might be a faulty switch, though I still think it's the tubes, but who knows. I'm getting a new one, so it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post

i demoed the JVM at Sam Ash with my coverband playing on the instore stage. the amp sounded great but half way through our set it started poping, clicking, and cutting in and out.
                  Did you have the pro audio guy recording it to? Sounds like some cool rehearsal space...
                  Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by Strangletooth View Post
                    Did you have the pro audio guy recording it to? Sounds like some cool rehearsal space...
                    no he just ran the sound. it was kinda silly and we'll never do it again, but it was cool to try out the JVM in a band situation... and it sounds KILLER!
                    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Got my JVM traded out for a new one in the box! This one sounds great. Salesman was wonderful.

Comment

Congrats!
                        I love it when that kinda thing happens.
                        Seems we get way too many horror stories, and too few tales of good Customer Service.
                        Glad you had some good fortune.
                        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                        --floydkramer

Comment

I have heard of people either having problems with the JVM or its the best amp they ever bought.

Comment

So far, best amp I've ever had. I had a Peavey transtube 2x12, a Mesa rectoverb with a 2x12 vertical cabinet, a 2x12 Carvin MTS, a Carvin MTS head with 4x12 cabinet, and now the JVM. The JVM has a rich, tight gain channel. Works really well with the guitar's volume. Even though it has 6 modes, I can dial in most of them with must the volume knob on my guitar. So I'm just running it as 2 channels (lowest gain on clean and highest gain on OD), and can use the volume to get lots of crunch sounds in between. I was also able to put a delay in the loop, which is footswitchable through the JVM's pedal.

Compared to the other amps, the JVM has much better clean. The Carvin had a lot of bite and was sparkly, but the JVM is smoother and sounds bigger (more resonance even without reverb). The mesa was just dull sounding. The peavey was nice but it wasn't a tube amp.

The JVM also has a more responsive gain channel. It's tight, clear, and exactly the sound that I like on albums ... like Mustaine's tone on "Disconnect" and lots of Maiden stuff. The rectoverb was fine but a bit dry. The Carvins were hard to dial in ... when I got a good lead tone, the rhythm tone was cold; and when I got a good rhythm tone, the lead tone was thin. I eventually got them dialed in right, but they always sounded a little harsh. The 4x12 sounded better but was a bitch to carry around. Peavey's OD tones often squealed like solid state amps do. I finally tamed it and got some good tones, but it was no tube amp.

So, this is my first Marshall, and I have to say I'm pleased. It was this or a Mesa Stiletto Ace. I've been wanting an EL34 amp for awhile. For some reason, I like Alnico magnets (on pickups) with EL34s. Don't ask me why. But I've never played EL34s, and was always worried there wouldn't be enough gain. I've been wanting to try the DSL series, but I guess they don't make them anymore, so the JVM was next on the list. And I'm glad I got it. Now just have to gig with it and see if I still like it.

Comment

Working...
                            X