Setup Help -- Newbie to Midi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setup Help -- Newbie to Midi

I just purchased an ADA MP-1 and TC G-Major. I understand how to connect these pieces along with the power amp, my question is how to hook up the midi.

I will be using a Rocktron Midi Mate controller. Do I go Rocktron into the ADA or the TC? Do I need a midi-thru to the other unit then as well? :think:

Thanks for any assistance!

I have no experience with this, but I would think that the Rocktron can only control one piece at a time unless you have some sort of pass-through.

I do know that www.adadepot.com gets mentioned all the time on here for MP-1 owners. Perhaps they could give better help?
    Scott

Comment

Ok, here ya go.

For simplicity's sake, put all the 3 devices on MIDI channel 1. This will insure that the foot pedal will be able to communicate (send program changes) to both devices.

Next, the MIDI out from the pedal goes to the MIDI In on the MP-1. This will allow the program change data from the foot pedal to switch presets on the MP-1.

After that, the MIDI Thru from the MP-1 and connect it to the MIDI In of the G Major. This will allow the program change data from the foot pedal to pass through the MP-1 to the G Major. When you change a preset on the foot pedal, both the MP-1 and the G Major will change to the corresponding preset number.

That's how it basically works. Now I suggest you read up on the MIDI functions of all your devices. On some MIDI equipped devices you can do more advanced things like Preset Mapping which allow you to have your pedal's Preset 1 select any preset you want on the MP-1 and the G Major. This makes it easier to manage all the patches since you don't have to have redundant presets.

Hope that helps.

Comment

You are on the right track. You can go to either unit first, as long as they have a midi out as well.
        EX. MidiMate OUT to ADA IN, ADA OUT to G-Major IN.

You will probably need to set the MIDI channels (1-16). Just set all three to the same channel and you should be off and running.
        750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
        Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

Originally posted by nor View Post
          You are on the right track. You can go to either unit first, as long as they have a midi out as well.
          EX. MidiMate OUT to ADA IN, ADA OUT to G-Major IN..
          It's a bad idea to connect the MIDI Out from one to the other because some devices don't always transmit program change data on a 1 to 1 correlation. Sometimes they use internal program mapping for the MIDI Out which can confuse a MIDI novice. What you suggest will work but for someone who's not that familiar with MIDI I would not recommend it. There are too many variables in that MIDI signal chain/

Hooking it up the way I described is the simplest way. The exact same program change data is sent to both devices at the same time. I also recommended hooking up the MP-1 first so the MIDI signal change will mirror the audio signal change. I like to keep things consistent and simple so debugging problems is easier.

Comment

Thanks Matty B and nor

So by setting up this way, I will be able to hit one button on the footswitch and it will change the settings on both units, assuming I program it correctly, correct?

For instance, I can switch between preset 1 (ADA rhythm and TC phaser) to preset 2 (ADA lead and TC delay) with one tap? That is my goal here...although I love em, I'm tired of tap dancing with the analog pedals!

Comment

Congrats on the new goodies
              Sounds like we are using the same setup.
              I use a Mp1 along with a G Major, and the Midimate
              My recommendations...
              First, as stated, go from the Midimate out into the Midi in on the Mp1 (use a 7 pin midi cable (Rocktron), and plug the power supply from the Midimate into the phantom power plug on the back of the Mp1. One less cable to have on the floor) run a short 5 pin midi cable from the Midi thru on the Mp1 into the Midi in on the G major. Set everything to Midi channel one as stated above.
              Now this will get you up and running, but the problem that you may run into, is that say if you hit button 5 on the Midimate, this will put the Mp1 on preset 5, and also the G Major on preset 5... Well, this may not be the preset on the G major that you want...
              On my setup I start with patch one from my Mp1 so it corresponds with my
              button number one on my Midi mate, but lets say that I want to use patch
              forty three on my G Major with patch number one on my Mp1, this is where
              Midi is cool... I go into the midi utility on my G Major and map out that I
              want patch forty three to turn on when I hit button one on my Midi mate. I
              go through and map patches out for the rest of my presets to correspond with
              the patches I have on my Mp1. So now when I tap button one on my Midi mate,
              it will change my preset on my Mp1 to number one, and the preset on my G
              Major to forty three. So in essence, I'm changing the channel on my preamp
              to a clean or a dirty channel, along with turning on delay, reverb,
              cho/flange etc. on the G Major with the push of one button.
              If you need assistance with Midi mapping on the G Major, let me know, Ill walk you through it, it's pretty simple on the G Major...
              Another nice thing with the Midimate, and the G Major... The G Major has a built in 6db boost that can be assigned to a button on the Midimate for leads. Works well, also you can program a button for a tuner mute, and can also program effects to be turned off/on with buttons 5-9 on the midimate, basically like having stompboxes Lot of cool things you can do with Midi
              Don

Comment

Long story short, both the MP-1 and G Major allow MIDI mapping which is sort of how cable TV channels work. For example, you may select channel 8 on your cable box which brings up your local station, channel 15.

I'm all cool with MIDI program mapping but I like to keep things simple so I go for a 1 to 1 set-up. The program change # on my pedal is always the same as the preset number on my MP-1 and my other effects.

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                  Thanks Matty B and nor

So by setting up this way, I will be able to hit one button on the footswitch and it will change the settings on both units, assuming I program it correctly, correct?

For instance, I can switch between preset 1 (ADA rhythm and TC phaser) to preset 2 (ADA lead and TC delay) with one tap? That is my goal here...although I love em, I'm tired of tap dancing with the analog pedals!
                  Yes, the simplest way to do it so that's the best way to start. MIDI is really simple once you learn it. I'd suggest reading the MIDI related info in the owners manuals for your MP-1 and G Major first then once you understand how they can work together, look into what the Midi Mate can do.

Comment

Thanks again fellaz....

Don, thanks for the offer...I may just give you a shout here in the next few weeks. It will soon be off to Trace Davis for a little Voodoo magic! So once it's back in my possession I'll check in with you.

Comment

Working...
                    X