Head to cabinet.Cable question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head to cabinet.Cable question.

Do you use a speaker cable or guitar cord? Whats the difference? I've used both but never really thought about the difference between the two cables.

Originally posted by broken_fusion View Post
    Do you use a speaker cable or guitar cord? Whats the difference? I've used both but never really thought about the difference between the two cables.

Always use a high quality speaker cable. Its all about resistance and impedance. Would you use guitar cord to hook up a subwoofer in your car?? Nope. Same thing.

Comment

Speaker cable is a much thicker gauge and carries MUCH more amps

Comment

Never use a guitar cable for a speaker cable. The guitar cable is shielded and you shouldn't use shielded cables for speaker hookup. As I understand it, the shielding in the much thinner guitar cable causes a capacitance build-up that can harm the amp's output stage. And as others have pointed out, thin guitar cables are not meant to handle relatively high power signals like a thicker speaker cable can.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

Speaker cable only! Do not use guitar cable. There is a difference. Guitar cables carry ground on the shield and have thinner wire inside. Speaker cables are unshielded and have much thicker wire inside.

Think of your setup like a fire hose. Your amp is the tap and the water supply. The cable is the hose. The speaker cab is the fire. If you have a tiny hose, you won't be able to push through enough water to put out the fire. The water pressure could build up as a result and damage could occur. If you use a nice thick hose, the water flows at the proper rate and the fire is out. /end crap analogy

So yeah. You want a nice thick speaker cable. It'll not only work better, it'll make your amp sound better (or maybe not better, but it'll sound how it should).

Comment

I burned up a b-52 at-100 using an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable.(had too much to drink!)
            jackson pc-1 chameleon
            charvel model 4
            prs ce-24 emerald green
            ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
            jackson rr ps 3t
            ibanez rg 770 lazer red
            engl thunder 50
            ibanez rg 565
            mesa boogie dc-5 head

Comment

In a pinch, or on a budget...zip cord type lamp wire is much better than using a guitar cable.

The speaker cable should be the same gauge wire throughout.
              Guitar cables are not.

Comment

hmmm well its called a Speaker cable for a reason

Comment

Originally posted by gregthatshreds View Post
                  I burned up a b-52 at-100 using an instrument cable instead of a speaker cable.(had too much to drink!)

That's a big plane to be messing around with after a drinkie.

Or do you mean you set fire to that bird with the beehive who sings?
                  So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Originally posted by Rsmacker View Post
                    Or do you mean you set fire to that bird with the beehive who sings?

That should've been done years ago for the good of all humanity.
                    I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                      hmmm well its called a Speaker cable for a reason
                      Well if you put it that way.

I use to help a sound company back in the day. I use to always tell the your guns at the clubs about this when I would catch it. I thought I was being a nice guy, but that would just look at me like who the hell are you. I never pushed it fuck it their gear why should I care.
                      Just one more guitar!

Comment

It's even worse to use a speaker cable for an instrument cable. Without the shielding you end up with a nice long AM antenna.

Matt

Comment

yeah, but using a speaker cable for guitar won't damage/destroy your equipment!

Comment

Working...
                          X