Probably a stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probably a stupid question

I've read the sticky at the top of the page on effects loops and how/when to use them.

What it doesn't mention...or maybe I missed it....is how to run your effects after the preamp, but before the power amp if there is no built in effects loop.

If there is no effects loop, am I basically SOL and must run all of my effects in-line in front of the entire amp?

Someone please give me a definitive answer on this.

Thanks
    Bill
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Not stupid at all... Pretty important question really.

Personally, I run my preamp into my rack effects (line level units only) and right into my power amp. If they're instrument level stompboxes, then in the front door unless they have line level switching, which I have seen occassionally.

Technically, the "right"way to run effects on a setup like ours is to run a rack type of mixer between the preamp and the power amp and the mixer controls the levels of each effect etc, and mixer is switched/controlled via MIDI. I was chastized on HugeRacks for not running a mixer between my CAE3+se and my VHT2150. My way was apparently not the pro way to do it....

I believe with that sort of rack mixer, some have designated I/O's that will work with instrument level stompbox effects as well. Hence the drawers with all the stompbozes in some racks you see.

Comment

Speaking of Huge Racks.... Read this for more than you want to know...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
        Not stupid at all... Pretty important question really.

Personally, I run my preamp into my rack effects (line level units only) and right into my power amp. If they're instrument level stompboxes, then in the front door unless they have line level switching, which I have seen occassionally.

Technically, the "right"way to run effects on a setup like ours is to run a rack type of mixer between the preamp and the power amp and the mixer controls the levels of each effect etc, and mixer is switched/controlled via MIDI. I was chastized on HugeRacks for not running a mixer between my CAE3+se and my VHT2150. My way was apparently not the pro way to do it....

I believe with that sort of rack mixer, some have designated I/O's that will work with instrument level stompbox effects as well. Hence the drawers with all the stompbozes in some racks you see.
        LOL ok maybe that was a little too definitive LOL.....I just have your basic stomp box effects. I was just wondering if there was a way to get them run after the preamp but before the power amp. My amp is just an 18 watt single channel tube amp with only one input jack. That input jack is wired to run before the preamp. Right now I am stuck running my gear just like this...guitar.....distortion....eq......phaser.... flanger....chorus.....amplifier. One piece of equipment after another all in-line to the amp. There is no place other than the one input jack on the amp that is in front of the preamp to plug anything in. I probably cannot the fx in after the preamp, but I wuold like to and I am an inquisitive type person LOL.
        Last edited by bombtek; 03-06-2009, 04:11 PM.
        I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Gotchya...

Without an effects loop, and the setup you have... You're doing about right IMO. Even your sequence of the effects is about what I'd do.

Another choice is to get an effects loop installed in the amp. But, that's a bit much.

Bear in mind, most of the worlds greatest guitar recordings have been recorded by guitarists using the same setup that you are using.

Comment

you're only other option is line out of head (with a dummy load attached) into FX then into a power amp. but is that really worth it?
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
              Gotchya...

Without an effects loop, and the setup you have... You're doing about right IMO. Even your sequence of the effects is about what I'd do.

Another choice is to get an effects loop installed in the amp. But, that's a bit much.

Bear in mind, most of the worlds greatest guitar recordings have been recorded by guitarists using the same setup that you are using.

Awesome, at least I know I'm in good company then. Even if I am a bit disappointed with my amp's lack of expandability LOL.

Thanks man

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                you're only other option is line out of head (with a dummy load attached) into FX then into a power amp. but is that really worth it?
                Nah not a chance would I take it to that extreme. I'll just keep adding fx to the front as long as I get a Rocktron noise gate.

Comment

Working...
                X