What tube head gets THIS tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tube head gets THIS tone?

Okay, I have a Vetta II HD and I love it, so it's not going anywhere. But....I'm still a huge fan of tube amps. I have a Marshall JCM800 2210, but it requires pedals to get the sound I like and those very pedals also cause quite a bit of hiss.

What I'm after is the classic 80's shred tone, like in this video:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

No, this is NOT me in the video. I stumbled across this recently. The original POD Modern Hi-Gain model is exactly my sound and it's based on the Soldano X88R preamp, which isn't made anymore.

So in short, is there a tube head or combo that gets this exact distortion texture right out of the box? I know that the delay won't be built in so that's not an issue. It's the basic tone I'm after. Again, I'm talking NO distortion pedals in front of it and please don't suggest a scooped trash metal type of sound. I respect that sound, also, but I'm going for an 80's shredder tone.

So does anything tube-based get this sound right out of the box?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

I think anything based around a hot-rodded Marshall sound will get you in that ballpark. It's a very saturated, compressed, Marshall-type tone. I'm sure you couild nail it with the newer JVM models as well as any number of preamps (ADA MP1, Marshall JMP1, etc). It's not a very dynamic tone so it shouldn't be too hard to replicate.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
      I have a Marshall JCM800 2210, but it requires pedals to get the sound I like and those very pedals also cause quite a bit of hiss.

So does anything tube-based get this sound right out of the box?

use an Overdrive pedal and don't run the gain so high.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

JCM800 through a 4x12 with an overdrive pedal should take you there. It won't give the delay and reverb he's covered the sound with though. And obviously it won't sound like that at low volumes.
        Scott

Comment

I easily have that tone with my Marshall rack - 9200/JMP-1/JFX-1. Which sounds like that more than various Marshall-ish heads/stomps IMO. there's many preamps/processors/poweramps to choose there..like Rocktron, ADA, Digitech, Pod pro, Sansamp, triaxixs..and my fave. ect Lots of upper end tube preamps but prolly a bit too organic to get THAT tone.

Marshalls that have enough smooth preamp gain on tap such as the 2210 and JVM will get you in the ballpark..but not quite that ambient. They're not like a rack. Racks have more of a "canned" studio or "processed" sound which I actually like, especially for nailing your favorite album tones in a pinch from bedroom to ear piercing levels.

Tube heads seem to change character at different volume levels, and even climate changes. Rack units with lots of power for headroom are consistent, and pretty set and forget. I haven't changed my programs for over a decade. With ANY head, I'm constantly twiddlin' with knobs...but they're great as well.

Also like racks, multi processesor such as popular, tried and true Boss units can get you there too into a good poweramp. Lots of gigging players swear by them, especially cover bands that want a certain tones on the fly.
          Last edited by horns666; 03-09-2009, 05:18 PM.
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I can certainly say my Custom Audio CAE3+se/Intellifex/VHT2150 rig would nail that easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
              I can certainly say my Custom Audio CAE3+se/Intellifex/VHT2150 rig would nail that easily.
              Hmmm it could. But I think your voodu valve is much closer to THAT tone. It's more processed IMO.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Nah, it would do that easy. And yes, the CAE and VV both would.

Ugh... 3k of equipment to do that, yeah, I'm ummm, proud... hahaha...

Comment

I'm constantly twiddlin' my head, regardless of temp/humidity.
                  "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                  --floydkramer

Comment

i had an X88R back in the 90's. bought it second hand and it was pretty sweet. sold it in the late 90's when i swore off racks and went back to using my rivera heads. i kinda missed it, but when line 6 came out with the POD i was thrilled because i saw it had the x88r modelled. having said that, the model doesn't sound like the real thing as i remember it. the real x88r had that midrange like the model, but it was still a bit fizzy like the SLO. the line 6 is like the perfect version of the x88r. for "real" amps that still come close to that lead tone, i liked my boogie mk4 with an intellifex in the loop. the mesa has that thick midrange and singing sustain.
                    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                      Nah, it would do that easy. And yes, the CAE and VV both would.

Ugh... 3k of equipment to do that, yeah, I'm ummm, proud... hahaha...
                      Hahha..that's OK!!! Hey..it could be much worse. We could suck!

Spikey stop twiddlin' your head. Ehh, nah..keep twiddlin'..it's good you ya.

Comment

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                        --floydkramer

Comment

Stock Carvin Legacy with a delay in the loop. Done.

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, that is indeed a processed sound, although the low end sounds somewhere in the ballpark of organic to my ears. I love the Vetta but I'm starting to get the itch to break out the 2210 again. I've never dimed it so maybe the time has come.

Comment

Oh, yeah, while I'm thinking about it and just to diversify the discussion..... what will sound like that at high volume without going harsh or clunky? Say, at about club level?

Comment

Working...
                              X