What tube head gets THIS tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. Yeah, that is indeed a processed sound, although the low end sounds somewhere in the ballpark of organic to my ears. I love the Vetta but I'm starting to get the itch to break out the 2210 again. I've never dimed it so maybe the time has come.

Dude, dime the gain of the 2210..it has just the right amount of gain there. I ran two 2210 stacks in stereo before I bought my Marshall rack...which replaced those two heads.

Like John G said, since you already have an AWESOME amp..put a delay in the loop. DONE!

You may wanna run a hush in the loop too. I have old tapes of my cranked 2210, I love the tone but it is kinda noisy at really high levels...which is normal.

Get a used G Major..delay + noise gate + tuner..ect..DONE!
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Oh, yeah, while I'm thinking about it and just to diversify the discussion..... what will sound like that at high volume without going harsh or clunky? Say, at about club level?
      Since the 2210 has clipping diodes between the preamp stages it doesn't change that much at extreme volume levels. If you throw a compressor and a good delay in the loop you should be able to get that tone no sweat.

Comment

Ah yes the venerable Pod Soldano patch. I fell in love with that one! I actually emailed Soldano about that, and what they told me is that same high-gain patch that was on the X88R is also on the SP77. So, I went and bought me one of those! The SP77 lacks the crunch channel and MIDI stuff, and that's it. I can't comment about the other Marshalls mentioned here, but I will say I could get NOWHERE NEAR this kickass sound with my dogshit DSL 100. I've heard this sould referred to as "molten honey".

Comment

Lotta variables... First between do you mean your sound with the POD or the proposed sound with a head?

Plus, as we've mentioned, there are a lot things that could approximate "that" sound. Bear in mind, "that" sound probably doesn't sound like "that" in person. No SM57 is gonna nail "your" tone. I have used some nice mics that do tho. I can make an amp sound totally different just from mic'ing techniques.

However, at high volumes, everything changes. From the amp sound itself changing from tube saturation (if it's a tube amp), to the amp maybe sounding harsh (if it's a SS amp). Different speaker's sound differently at higher levels, Your ear's perception of sound changes due to the levels as well...

I totally have to adjust my rig from my comfy practice level to when our drummer walks down.

IMO, my stuff sounds best at less than drummer levels. Yet, obviously a VHT2150 is made for a bit more. Go figure... It's all variables.

Comment

Oh, yeah, while I'm thinking about it and just to diversify the discussion..... what will sound like that at high volume without going harsh or clunky? Say, at about club level?
            answered in above post..

You may try a BBE 422 in the loop as well..It does very well in my rack. The 2210 voicing and gain is somewhat identical. They're my personal favorite Marshall. Criss Oliva sounded best with his IMO! Chris Cafferty may have retired by now..but he sounded great with it when John and I saw him w/ 'Tage years ago.

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
              Dude, dime the gain of the 2210..it has just the right amount of gain there. I ran two 2210 stacks in stereo before I bought my Marshall rack...which replaced those two heads.

Like John G said, since you already have an AWESOME amp..put a delay in the loop. DONE!

You may wanna run a hush in the loop too. I have old tapes of my cranked 2210, I love the tone but it is kinda noisy at really high levels...which is normal.

Get a used G Major..delay + noise gate + tuner..ect..DONE!
              Bill is 100% correct. Throw a G-Major in the loop of that 2210 and dial in some compression, delay and a gate and you will be there in spades.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                Since the 2210 has clipping diodes between the preamp stages it doesn't change that much at extreme volume levels. If you throw a compressor and a good delay in the loop you should be able to get that tone no sweat.
                Absolutely!!

He's already there with a 2210. I ran mine with just a Boss DD5 in the loop into a Peavey 4X12 w/ G12 Classic Lead 80 Celestions...wow!!

Awesome head and speaker combination. I liked it better than all my 5150s which I played for years before and during I had that set up.

But stock Marshall 1960 cabs do just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                  Bill is 100% correct. Throw a G-Major in the loop of that 2210 and dial in some compression, delay and a gate and you will be there in spades.
                  Done deal ..right?

The answer is right in your hands. You had it this whole time..

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    Ah yes the venerable Pod Soldano patch. I fell in love with that one! I actually emailed Soldano about that, and what they told me is that same high-gain patch that was on the X88R is also on the SP77. So, I went and bought me one of those! The SP77 lacks the crunch channel and MIDI stuff, and that's it. I can't comment about the other Marshalls mentioned here, but I will say I could get NOWHERE NEAR this kickass sound with my dogshit DSL 100. I've heard this sould referred to as "molten honey".
                    "Molten honey." I like that! It's an accurate description. If you'll go back to last April or so and look at my thread about deciding to buy a Vetta, I drove everyone here crazy with my neurosis about whether or not the original Modern Hi-Gain sound onboard the Vetta II was faithful to the original! I'm serious. Like yourself, I fell head over heels with that tone the first time I heard it on the original POD 1.0. The Modern Hi-Gain 2 tone (SLO 100) is one that never quite gave me a stiffy like the original did.

I like mine with a slight touch of reverb and compression and a bit of wide-repeat delay.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by horns666 View Post
                      Done deal ..right?

The answer is right in your hands. You had it this whole time..
                      Sounds like I may have.

I also have the Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff. I find it a bit smoother and warmer than the Metal Zone, but the GE-7 EQ is an essential with either.

Comment

Update: I dimed the pre today and checked it out since I had a day off. I probably hadn't even powered the Marshall on in two years until now. The pots all crackle because I need to shoot some circuit board cleaner in there. Anyway, it sounds "close" to having enough gain, and it gets there if I add the Metal Muff in front of it. But on top of that, I would definitely have to add an EQ and a delay. I have both but didn't want to fool with them at the moment. I got full saturation with this combo, but it's still not in the ballpark of the Line 6 Modern Hi-Gain setting tone. Not a big deal, since that's what the Vetta is for.

But it was fun to fire it up again!

Comment

Working...
                        X