Skeptical about which amp....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skeptical about which amp....

Guys I have a problem that has been driving me crazy for so long. First off all I'm no expert guitar player and have been playing for a while. My main problem is I'm a person who preferes a multi effects pedal like Boss GT-6.

So generally speaking I want an amp that has clean tones at high volumes, keep in mind I would be using the clean patches of the pedal and distortion of the pedal, not the amp. Which amp would be best for my musical advantage, solid state or tube?

Also what are the advantages of owning either one. :think:

Fender Twin.

Comment

get a fender tube amp. see above ^^^

Comment

I may be completely off base here having NEVER even tried out a GT-6, but couldn't you just plug straight into a power amp with it?
        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

A Fender Twin would be a poor choice unless it has been modded for an effects loop. You really don't want to run a GT-6 into the front end of an amp. I would recommend either a power amp with guitar cabs or just a powered PA speaker. For a power amp I would recommend a Mosfet 962 or a Rocktron Velocity. For a powered PA speaker there are a lot of good choices - just avoid Behringer.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Or a keyboard amp will do just fine as well.
            Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
              A Fender Twin would be a poor choice unless it has been modded for an effects loop. You really don't want to run a GT-6 into the front end of an amp. I would recommend either a power amp with guitar cabs or just a powered PA speaker.
              Bingo!

Comment

Do they still make those Atomic Reactor amps for the modeling thingies? I had one. Amp and cabinet sounded great with an ADA MP-1. Too bad the power amp didn't have a Master Volume

Anyhoo, yeah, if the GT is your preamp, you only want a poweramp and cabinet.

However, if the GT isn't a rackmounted unit, then to limit your luggage you might want to find a small combo with an FC loop. Probably won't find one with a tube poweramp too cheap, but solid state tends to play better with modelers, especially if it has cabinet sims in it, as solid state is less prone to tonal fluctuations and "temperament" than tube amps.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'd go with a solid-state power amp hooked up to the most colorless cabinet you can find (studio monitors?). The goal would be to leave all of the sound coloring up to the GT-6.
                  Scott

Comment

Are VOX good tubes amp?

So, basicallyyou guys are saying that effects don't go with tubes amps, then why do pros use that setup?:think:

Comment

Originally posted by C.C._Devill119 View Post
                      Are VOX good tubes amp?

So, basicallyyou guys are saying that effects don't go with tubes amps, then why do pros use that setup?:think:
                      A Vox may be a good tube amp, but it's not a good clean amp for what you want. And which pros use a setup of a GT-6 into a Vox tube amp? Which Vox tube amp? An AC30 would be a horrible choice for a clean power amp.

And no one said effects don't go good with a tube amp. A tube amp is a great choice, but it must be a tube amp that doesn't COLOR the sound of the GT-6 (or POD in my case).

That's why the Atomic Reactor was mentioned, or a rack mount power amp.

A traditional Vox tube amp colors tone very heavily, and with a GT-6 you would probably be left with MUD.

Maybe mention some bands who's tone you are trying to get.
                      Last edited by DonP; 03-10-2009, 02:49 AM.

Comment

There is a European spanish band, and the guitar player uses a VOX AC30 amplifier with a Line 6 POD X3 Live and some distortion pedals and the amp sounds great. I don't know how he sets his up but I'd like a sound like this,

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Roland JC60 or JC120

Comment

There is a European spanish band, and the guitar player uses a VOX AC30 amplifier with a Line 6 POD X3 Live and some distortion pedals and the amp sounds great. I don't know how he sets his up but I'd like a sound like this,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8EA4jkxNqc
                            that's easy, just roll the volume tone knob back on your guitar until you get the clean you like... jazz greats have done it for decades with AC30's to get a nice clean tone
                            Edge from U2 pretty much uses these amps exclusively, he has a very good clean tone, clean tone and a lot of delays from different pedals and processors, that's pretty much what he does.
                            Last edited by Endrik; 03-10-2009, 06:52 AM.
                            "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8EA4jkxNqc
                              Sounds just like a straight AC30 to me. I love that amp's tone.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X