question about Peavey amp & cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about Peavey amp & cab

• I bought a Peavey 3120 120 watt amp and it came with a Peavey Windsor cab. Which doesnt sound very good. What would be some good cabs for this amp. Thanks for any replies.

Every cab is different. Everyone has their preference. Some combinations are classic.

5150 amp + 5150 sheffield cabs = kick ass. For some reason, that cab works about the best with that amp.

Otherwise, good cabs to look at are Marshall 1960s, MESA, VHT etc etc... With Marshalls generally being easy to find for a fair price.

Of course you would commonly have your choice of Celestion vintage 30 or 75 watters in most of those cabs mentioned. Again, those are user preference. Both have their good/bad points. There are of course many other brands/models of speaker that are high quality.

I'd take your head and your guitar to the store and ask to try it into a few cabs and see if they sound better.

Again, we all have our prefs, but most name brand upper end cabs are good and usable. I have Ampeg bottoms with Celestion 75's and am pretty happy. I'd be happier with maybe MESA's or VHT Fatbottoms. But I play in clubs and these do just fine.

Comment

standard Celestion Vin 30's sound completely different than Mesa branded (Black Shadow) Vin 30's.
      -the Celestion V30's have a harder sound with a huge midrage spike and kinda chopped treble
      -mesa's are smoother with a lot more low end and a lot more top end presence.
      Keep that in mind.

I am a HUGE fan of Celestion G12M 25w Greenbacks, and the G12H30 speakers. (same speaker different size magnet.)

the Celestion G12T-75 (Marshall 1960 cab) is the standard "Back Line" cab and is the most popular 4x12 speaker.
      -not a bad cab, a little thin but always cuts through.

Peavey's generally sound better with Peavey branded speakers. There is a lot to be said for matching head and cabs. usually a company will voice an amp based on its proposed speaker.

I personally prefer greenbacks but i always make sure my sound is still good through G12T-75's since that is the expected cab when a backline is provided.
      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Here I thought the vintage 30's were the same speakers in both Marshall and MESA... I did notice they sounded different and like the MESA V30's much better. Thought it was the cab design giving more bass, haha...

Comment

I am a T75 guy myself

Comment

find a used 5150 cab it will go well with that 3120

Comment

thanks for the replys, gc has a 6505 cab for 379.00. I think I will go with that for now. I hope It will be a good cab. thanks again.

Comment

Well, that cab is voiced for, and work the best with the 6505/5150, that's for sure. Really helps those amps shine. Try it first and see! Compare to Marshall and whatever they have there. That's not a terrible price I guess tho.

However, there a lot of used Marshall's around for not much more than that and have appropriate resale. Sadly, the 5150/6505 don't have a great resale value. Quite a few cheap ones here in the resale shops. Keep that in mind if the 6505 isn't such a major difference from other cabs with "your" amp to where you "really" want that particular cab..

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                  Here I thought the vintage 30's were the same speakers in both Marshall and MESA... I did notice they sounded different and like the MESA V30's much better. Thought it was the cab design giving more bass, haha...
                  i actually pulled and sold the mesa V30's from my recto cab and replaced them with V30's ordered from celestion. i needed the regular V30 voicing to supplement my EVM loaded cabs. i HATED the recto cab until i cut the back in half and changed the speakers.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

I loved the EVM's I was using. Had to give them back to my friend tho A 4x loaded with them would be a bear to carry.

I felt the MESA I played had a more solid or defined bass than the v30 Marshall I checked out. Neither made me 'want" them too much (not that I'm enamoured w/my 75's either). But it seemed the MESA was more my taste. I just figured the cab dimensions were the diff.

Comment

Are you sure it's the cab and not the amp?

I've only tried it once, but it didn't really set me on fire. I'll try it again Wednesday hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                      X