Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Educate me about Crate cabs (possible deal)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't see the options for 4-16 ohm speakers, but I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere. You have to do the math. Good resource to save:

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
      I didn't see the options for 4-16 ohm speakers, but I'm sure the answer is in here somewhere. You have to do the math. Good resource to save:

http://colomar.com/Shavano/4x12wiring.html
      Yeah, I understand impedence and wiring very well, but the problem is that my Line 6 cab is 8 ohms mono and so is the KMD. If I replace the KMD, it has to be with another cab that is 8 ohms mono -or- I have to spend the money for two cabs which I'm not willing to do right now. If I were willing to spend the money, I would buy both of the used Marshall 1960's a few miles from me and run them both in either 4 or 16 ohms from the Vetta.
      Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
        You must have missed the rest of the thread. There is a used 1960 local to me at a good price, plus I saw another one today. They won't give me 8 ohms except in stereo, and then I'm only running two of the speakers. If I were willing to spend the money, I would love to just buy them both and run them both at either 4 or 16, both of which the Vetta will handle.

The PDS is nice, but I don't use it too much anymore except on the rare occasions when I break the Marshall head out.

Yeah I skipped through it. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Firebird V View Post
          Yeah I skipped through it. lol.
          I understand. You wouldn't believe how often I walk in during the "middle of the movie," especially in a long thread.

I found another Vetta cab rated for 320 watts today, like my current one, but it was a consignment and the guy couldn't reach the seller before they closed. That's probably the route I'll go, though. I love the current Vetta cab.

Comment

Never tried any Line 6 stuff except one of their distortion pedals that ate 9 volts and sounded good alone but not with the band. It is a known fact that a straight Marshall cab run at 16 ohms sounds the best.

Comment

Originally posted by triplehold View Post
              It is a known fact that a straight Marshall cab run at 16 ohms sounds the best.
              I agree and I wish I were willing to buy both of the 1960's near me. There's something about those that seems to get the perfect amount of midrange without getting a "honking" sound. I don't know if it's the speakers or the acoustic properties of the cab, but they're sweet.

Comment

Regardless, I would not get a behringer ANYTHING... No if's and's or but's...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                  Regardless, I would not get a behringer ANYTHING... No if's and's or but's...
                  I appreciate you guys' input on this, by the way. Deep down inside, I knew that there had to be a reason they can sell it for $249.00 in most places.

When I was looking at buying the POD 2.3 a few years ago, it was selling for $299.00, while the Behringer V-Amp was selling for only $149.00 and it also included the carrying case and some other accessory. So believe me, I WANTED to like the Behringer better. I finally got to A/B them both at Guitar Center. The POD won hands down. I'm not dissing the V-Amp. I guess it was okay for what it was and a lot of people swear by it, but it couldn't touch the POD's Modern Hi-Gain and a couple of other settings. Ever since then I've been a bit put off by Behringer's products.

Comment

Yeah, not to be a hater, but I have yet to dig their stuff in any form. I grabbed a parametric for the pricing once, and even IT sucked ass. Was amazing, Bill heard it and immediately said it was a tone coffin. Just being plugged in the signal path it was sucking. haha... Even sucked on the PA, so, back it went.

Speaker cabwise, Personally, live, I run Ampeg bottoms w/75 watt celestions in them. They're whipped and I don't mind dragging them around. AND, they sound great, lil better than my Marshalls somehow. Somewhat heavier cabinet, that may be why I suppose. Available cheap if you see them, and they have the switching network on them for impedance and mono/stereo.

Worst comes to worst, you can usually rewire a cab to fit your impedance needs. Depends on what's in them of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                      Yeah, not to be a hater, but I have yet to dig their stuff in any form. I grabbed a parametric for the pricing once, and even IT sucked ass. Was amazing, Bill heard it and immediately said it was a tone coffin. Just being plugged in the signal path it was sucking. haha... Even sucked on the PA, so, back it went.

Speaker cabwise, Personally, live, I run Ampeg bottoms w/75 watt celestions in them. They're whipped and I don't mind dragging them around. AND, they sound great, lil better than my Marshalls somehow. Somewhat heavier cabinet, that may be why I suppose. Available cheap if you see them, and they have the switching network on them for impedance and mono/stereo.

Worst comes to worst, you can usually rewire a cab to fit your impedance needs. Depends on what's in them of course.
                      Yeah, I look at Behringer the same way I look at Danelectro. I'm just not a fan of their stuff. Who knows? Maybe one of them will impress me with something someday.

I hope the seller can be reached next week about the Line 6 cab. He's selling it with a Vetta II HD and might not be willing to split them up, so we'll see. Otherwise, there's always the 'bay.

Comment

Working...
                      X