Hughes & Kettner TriAmp Mk I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes & Kettner TriAmp Mk I

Well I took delivery of a Hughes & Kettner TriAmp last week, and I've had a few days to put her thru her paces and the results are......

She's a killer sounding amp - possibly a Keeper. Here is a quick rundown - made in Germany, the amps fit and finish is nice, clean and sturdy. The amp has a cool plexi-glass front, which lets you see the tubes glow... and there are many tubes in there. 4 12AX7, 1 12AX7 Hi Gain, 4 E83CC Hi Gain and 4 EL34.

The amp is actually 3 2-channel preamps that share a single power amp. The amp is nice and warm, great sounding cleans and great sounding distortions which are not overly compressed or gainy.

So... each amp has 2 gains (one for each channel) which shares a common EQ, plus a master volume. So this is how I would describe the amp:

Amp 1 - Channel 1 - Very clean - sorta like what a JC-120 would sound like with tubes
    Amp 1 - Channel 2 - Clean to a light distortion - bluesy, Voxy type clean

Amp 2 - Channel 1 - Very Marshally - AC/DC, Gary Moore - good OD sound
    Amp 2 - Channel 2 - More distortion - not fond of this channel as it gets muddy as you turn up the gain

Amp 3 - Channel 1 - High gain, very good for leads, not very grainy or in your face but good articulation of the notes.
    Amp 3 - Channel 2 - Even more gain, very modern metal, good chunka-chunka on the bass

You then get an overall Master volume along with presence and parallel loop. With an Xpression, quadraverb or Pod in the loop, the amp sounds very alive. The built in reverb is also very good, but it isn't switchable.

Overall, its a really nice amp. This is a mark 1, so it's been out for a while now. The mark 2's are now out, and they supposedly sound even better. The price on these amps are outrageous, but no one buys new, right?

Here are a couple of pictures - if you ever get to try one, I think you'll want to buy one. This amp came highly recommended by a friend, and I bought it on his recommendation. I don't think anyone could go wrong - even at paying full price.

I loved that amp when I heard the guy in Fuel play it. Reb Beach too.

Comment

I think Alex Lifeson used that amp too. Its supposed to be incredible. I have never read a bad review of one. Congratz Pete.

Comment

I do want to know one thing though.. how come nobody has basted you as an amp whore like they do to me everytime I post a review. You have had tons more amps than me!! Again Pete. Congratz on the amp and thanks for the Mark III. Its outstanding.

Comment

Alex uses the MK II, So do I and I love the thing.... Great amp!
          Shibs

Two Reasons Why It's So Hard To Solve A Redneck Murder:

1. The DNA all matches.

2. There are no dental records.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            I do want to know one thing though.. how come nobody has basted you as an amp whore like they do to me everytime I post a review. You have had tons more amps than me!! Again Pete. Congratz on the amp and thanks for the Mark III. Its outstanding.
            I think you do more reviews than me.... and since we do swap, I get your stuff after you already reviewed it, so people think my review is a regurgitation version of yours...

Comment

Clevo-John and I had time to play with one for some time with our freinds in Ground Zero (Cleveland metal band). The other guitarist has a Bogner XTC. He wanted to sell me the H&K Triamp for a grand but I passed. He liked his Marshall DSL better but his band preferred the H&K.

It just wasn't the sound that I was looking for, but it looked like a quality amp! They look cool.
              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

I would like to try one of those out one day. That... and a real Ubershall. I have only played the fake modeled Vetta version.
                I think the amp I would probably like the best out of any amp on the planet is the Bogner Ecstacy 101b.

Comment

I headed to Pete's house a few days after he got this head and it sounds really good. Not a Metal gain type of head but very articulate on the channels Pete described. The clean was killer.
                  Last edited by Firebird V; 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                    I would like to try one of those out one day. That... and a real Ubershall. I have only played the fake modeled Vetta version.
                    I think the amp I would probably like the best out of any amp on the planet is the Bogner Ecstacy 101b.

The 101b is a fantastic head. I spent a few hours with one and had the opportunity to buy it and passed because I would have had to sell the SLO I had and I was not willing to part with it at the time.

I will own one one day though. It is on my bucket list.

Comment

Nice, looks like I wasn't the only one that received head last week.
                      Jackson KV2
                      Jackson KE1T
                      Jackson KE1F
                      Jackson SL1

Comment

Originally posted by Larz View Post
                        Nice, looks like I wasn't the only one that received head last week.
                        How do you like the head? What were you using before and does this amp meet your expectations?

Comment

Working...
                        X