Idea for an amp feature - volume levelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for an amp feature - volume levelling

In my humble opinion, this is a much-needed feature with a lot of amps these days. I was playing on a Spider Valve combo this afternoon. I had it on the Insane setting with the Master Volume and Channel Volume both set barely above zero, just a nice listening volume. I switched to the next setting over, Metal, and BAM!!! HIGH VOLUME!!! PEEL THE PAINT OFF THE WALLS!!!

Good grief. I could understand this if I had hit a Preset button, but I didn't. With both volumes almost totally OFF, it blew me away when I switched it. I've had this same thing happen on a Peavey and a Vox recently.

Does this annoy you guys or is it just me?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

its just you bro...

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
      its just you bro...
      I was afraid of that.....

Comment

most spiders have at least 2 or 3 master volumes to set your effects with usually a master volume and a gain volume at the least...

Comment

Wow that spider sounds like it's fucked up. My kid switches from clean/crunch/metal/insane all day long and it never did that. I'd know it if it did..
          "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
          Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

When I tried out the spider valve the guy was going nuts trying to keep the volume mismatching under control when all I wanted to do was max out the poweramp and keep it somewhat under control. Hate it when I'm trying to test an amp and cant crank it!

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
              In my humble opinion, this is a much-needed feature with a lot of amps these days.
              What other amps have these issues?

My DSL100 has two gains and two volumes, one pair for each channel. You dial in gain and volume on the clean, then volume and gain on the overdrive. I don't have an issue when switching channels.

Sounds like it's an issue with certain modeller's presets. I know with my VT15 there's a certain preset in the cleans where it has less volume than the other presets.

Bad programming IMO with modellers.

Comment

Actually that happened to me in a music store, when I was trying a guitar through a Line amp. I guess it would only happen with modeling amps where the volume is not hard-wired to a knob.

Comment

Guys, I never hit a preset button. I was manually dialing in sounds.

Master Volume: Set below 1

Channel Volume: Set below 1

If I switched from Insane to Metal, the volume suddenly increased by about 500%. I've seen this done on other amps, as well. Specifically, a Peavey and a Vox, both in the same store.
                  My Vetta has never done this.

Comment

Sounds like it needs a new Fetzer Valve

Comment

Got no problems like that with my Spider 3 150watt version using manual controls.

You only have to watch when your switching in the models/presets
                      The presets have different settings and throw the volume all over the place from in your face to volumes only dogs can hear.

Comment

That always happens to me at Guitar Center.

Comment

I think there is a way to set the volumes on each preamp type and make it permanent so that any time you pull up a certain amp model, it will automatically remember the EQ, gain, and channel volume automatically.

Comment

500%!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Venomboy View Post
                              That always happens to me at Guitar Center.
                              When I go to GC my kids like to "setup" pedals so that the volume is maxed out if someone switches on that pedal.

Kind of like a booby trap.

Sorry

Comment

Working...
                              X