Rack System / Power Amp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack System / Power Amp question

Ok, I wanna get you guys' opinions on power amps. I'm looking to make a cheaper version of my rig to leave at practice, so I don't want to put out $500 or more for another Marshall 9200. Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !
    I'm not afraid to bleed, but I won't do it for you.

A solid state then? Rocktron Velocity, Carvin, Peavey have something I think. Or used Mesa 20/20 etc. Not sure what else could be suggested.

Comment

Solid state would be fine. With all the players here, I'm hoping I can get opinions on different ones that they've used. What worked well and what didn't. Do the mosvalves generally sound like crap ? Are the Rocktrons powerful enough ? K-Mart sells the Shitball2000 and its fuckin' amazing ! You know, stuff like that

Comment

I've used Alesis RA-100 poweramps for rack gear for years. They work great - very quiet, and very reliable. I have NO complaints. As much as I'd love to get a tube poweramp, with as much as they cost, I'm better off just buying a tube head. With that said, the Peavey Classic tube poweramps have always had a good reputation.

Comment

i used to use a marshall valvestate 80/80 power amp. it was TOTAL shit. i bought a peavey classic 50/50 for about the same cost as the valvestate and it was AWESOME.

THEN i got a rivera hammer 120 and that was it. i only paid $15 for it at a yard sale, but that's another story.
          GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Mosvalve Tubeworks 962 is pretty good for solid state, I picked one up on Epray for cheaps.
            "We were sitting on the bus one day and there were 5 of us hanging out. There was only one beer left in the cooler and we actually all took a little cup and split it. It was a pathetic day in a rock and roll when five grown men have to be sitting there sharing a beer. "
            Zakk Wylde

Comment

I've got a MosValve 962, Rocktron Velocity 300, and a Rocktron Velocity 100.

The MosValve 962 sounds the best with a tube preamp whereas the Velocity 300 sounds the best with modeling gear (Boss GT10 for example). The Velocity 100 sounds good but it is not particularly loud and cannot be bridged to mono - it can hang with a band at practice if you aren't blasting too loud.
              I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

just get a crate powerblock for $99. it makes a great cheap poweramp.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                  just get a crate powerblock for $99. it makes a great cheap poweramp.
                  Yeah, the PowerBlock will work fine. Also, check out the Carvin DCM150.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks guys. I've been looking at the Rocktrons, mosvalves, and even a Randall on fleabay. I have an Alesis powering my PA. I' didn't even think about trying it with a guitar rig. Sounds like a good experiment.

Comment

so are those marshall 8008 (I think thats the model) arent any good?
                      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I'm using a Peavey Classic 50/50 for my main gig rack, a Classic 60 for practice and as a spare, and a Carvin T100 for recording. The 50/50 is my favorite, but all have performed quite well so far.
                        sigpic

Comment

+1 on the Classic 50/50... Mines been great
                          Don

Comment

Working...
                          X