Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible?

I recently bought an old Randall RC235 and I am getting some scratchiness out of the clean side volume. Can I replace this myself? If so, can I make mods to it? Such as boosting the gain on the distortion channel?
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Yes, you can replace and add gain quite easy.
    Trade in for a new one.

There are things that can hurt you in there... I say avoid.

Also, I hear that once you start tweaking amps too much, you get paranoid, overly sensitive, and suddenly crave cheap meat or something.

"Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
    --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
      Also, I hear that once you start tweaking amps too much, you get paranoid, overly sensitive, and suddenly crave cheap meat or something.

:ROTF: wait... I think this is more appropriate!
      -Rick

Comment

Hey bro,I do not live in the woods of NH so I am looking for a cheap fix! One that us pig renters can afford
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

LOL!
          --floydkramer

Comment

Well just went over to vintage randall.com,looks like swapping out the volume pot/knob would be easy.......bacon/bacon/bacon every where but not a pig in sight! Well atleast the four legged kind.

Comment

NH neighborhood watch meeting

Comment

OiNk!
                --floydkramer

Comment

New Hampshire high society! Mayor Oink-a-lot.

Comment

"These boots were made for walking......"

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post

"these boots were made for walking......"
                        --floydkramer

Comment

if its just a little scratchiness why not just hit it with some contact cleaner? you could get some super gain by adding an OD pedal infront although then it would require a lil tap dancing to go from clean to heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                            if its just a little scratchiness why not just hit it with some contact cleaner? you could get some super gain by adding an OD pedal infront although then it would require a lil tap dancing to go from clean to heavy.
                            +1 Try cleaning it first if possible.

One thing that causes scratchy pots is DC flowing through them. They should never have DC, only AC (the guitar signal). DC sometimes flows due to a bad design, or "blocking" / "signal" caps going bad and allowing DC to flow through.

So, first try cleaning.

Then, try replacing.

Then, (getting deeper) look at the circuit design for issues or try replacing the caps around the pot being impacted.

Comment

Working...
                            X