Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Metal Amp decisions

Hi guys,

First things first, my one and only guitar I play is a Jackson KV2 USA. I still have the stock pups, which I believe to be
    • Seymour Duncan SH-4 neck
    • Seymour Duncan TB-4 bridge

I'm in the market for a new amp and I was wondering if you could give me some help.

Few pieces of info first:

Genres I play: almost exclusively heavy/death metal. I do play some more classic rock based stuff, and some 80s metal, but mostly looking for heavier geared amps.

Bands I play : Children of Bodom, Sinergy, Kalmah, Norther, Wintersun, Symphony X, BFMV, Paul Gilbert, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Megadeth, some metallica here and there.

BUDGET : Trying to keep it within ~1500$USD.

Amp type : Tube combo. Not really looking for stacks.

Anyways, I had my heart set on an ENGL screamer 50 combo, but I keep coming accross articles or threads where people say they are amazing amps, but lack the amount of gain needed for hi-gain heavy metal...

I continue to find contradictions between whether the ENGL screamer is suitable for heavy metal, or whether it isnt.

Anyways, I'd like to ask the following:

1) First, evaluate the screamer to my musical taste.
    2) If you know of a better tube combo to try, POST IT !

Thank you very much,

-nick
    Last edited by nvranka; 03-29-2009, 08:48 PM.

I never quite got that "not enough gain" thing... check out the vids people have posted of the ENGL on youtube - I was also looking at one of these before I got my Boogie.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Randall MTS series Combo. RM100c 2x12 closed back.

I've got one with a Brown, Mr Scary and 1086 mods, dead mint, never gigged if you're interested. PM me if so.

Can't get better than a Randall imo...
      Don't blame Congress or the President - blame yourselves. ~Newc

Comment

not interested in the randall, thanks tho.

I may have decided to change my mind, and possibly go with a powerball.

thoughts?

some people suggested a 5150...tho I have heard they dont handle low volumes very well.

Comment

Mesa Mark III

Comment

5150's are noisy as hell, ask anyone that's ever owned one. I've had a few of them and they were all the same. If you want that brutal, chest thumping tone, get an Uberschall and yer done, if you go with a Mesa, make sure to play as many as you can, they're like Les Paul's, each one is a little different than the last.

Changed your mind how? On a combo, or going with a rack/stack type setup?

Where do you live? Hopefully some place you can get out and play some of the more boutique type amps. I wouldn't take individual reviews as gospel as tone is all subjective and there's too many variables involved. I would get out and listen to sound clips if you can't play any of these types of amps, look at reviews, etc. I certainly wouldn't discount the Randall stuff, whether your interested in mine or not, they're definitely not something to pass on so quickly or lightly. They've come a long way in a few short years imo.

Take a look at some of the artists who use them: http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Artists/Artist-Links/

The stacks are killer and the rack stuff is right there to. I'm sure a few will be around to tell the same thing, but then again, all this info is ina couple other threads as well. I know Rudy's got an RM100 head and loves it.

Here's a link to a somewhat recent thread if you didn't see it before. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90651

When I bought mine, I was looking for a combo like you are and played dozens of them, living in St. Louis, I've got a lot to choose from and the Randall stuff was above the rest. But again, I did have the luxury of playing a lot of amps. My buddy Shaky got me into them, had he not pushed me like he did, I wouldn't have even given them a chance, I would have went with a Marshall, or a mainstream type setup, but they are worth every penny imo. Mine was right at $2k with 3 sig mods new. I don't have to sell it or need the money by any means, but it's overkill for the little I play any more, I've got a VOX that does fine for noodling around the house.

Comment

Originally posted by Strangletooth View Post
              5150's are noisy as hell, ask anyone that's ever owned one. I've had a few of them and they were all the same. If you want that brutal, chest thumping tone, get an Uberschall and yer done, if you go with a Mesa, make sure to play as many as you can, they're like Les Paul's, each one is a little different than the last.

Changed your mind how? On a combo, or going with a rack/stack type setup?

Where do you live? Hopefully some place you can get out and play some of the more boutique type amps. I wouldn't take individual reviews as gospel as tone is all subjective and there's too many variables involved. I would get out and listen to sound clips if you can't play any of these types of amps, look at reviews, etc. I certainly wouldn't discount the Randall stuff, whether your interested in mine or not, they're definitely not something to pass on so quickly or lightly. They've come a long way in a few short years imo.

Take a look at some of the artists who use them: http://www.randallamplifiers.com/Artists/Artist-Links/

The stacks are killer and the rack stuff is right there to. I'm sure a few will be around to tell the same thing, but then again, all this info is ina couple other threads as well. I know Rudy's got an RM100 head and loves it.

Here's a link to a somewhat recent thread if you didn't see it before. http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90651

When I bought mine, I was looking for a combo like you are and played dozens of them, living in St. Louis, I've got a lot to choose from and the Randall stuff was above the rest. But again, I did have the luxury of playing a lot of amps. My buddy Shaky got me into them, had he not pushed me like he did, I wouldn't have even given them a chance, I would have went with a Marshall, or a mainstream type setup, but they are worth every penny imo. Mine was right at $2k with 3 sig mods new. I don't have to sell it or need the money by any means, but it's overkill for the little I play any more, I've got a VOX that does fine for noodling around the house.
              +1
              Look at the randall stuff. You wont be sorry....
              "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

I have a Powerball. Love it. I had a Triple Rec. before and while it was awesome, I am more into the PB. Wouldn't mind getting a Framus Cobra also.
                Jeff Smeltz

Comment

The Rivera Knucklehead Tre supposedly has an over the top gain channel and a nice Fendery clean channel.
                  From the clips I've heard it sounds very nice.
                  Currently at 78 guitars - Paul Reed Smith, Jackson, Robin, Washburn, Carvin, Peavey, U.S. Masters, G&L, Hamer, Godin, BC Rich, Yamaha, Fender, ESP, Kramer, Cort, Ibanez, Aria Pro & Charvel
                  Pics:http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/mr.rs/pictures/gear

Comment

Randall MTS.
                    a Pete modded 1086 is all the brutz you would ever need
                    and second hand these things are a grea bargain.
                    http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Originally posted by ///MK View Post
                      Randall MTS.
                      a Pete modded 1086 is all the brutz you would ever need
                      and second hand these things are a grea bargain.
                      That mod is killer out of the box, I can't imagine what'd it be like after a stop at Pete's! I love that mod!

Comment

Framus Cobra. Used about $1400. Bias it right, use the right tubes and end of story.
                        PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I'm not really looking for a new amp, but I'm guilty as well of not trying Randall stuff when I go to GC or somewhere.

Originally posted by Strangletooth View Post
                          I've got a VOX that does fine for noodling around the house.
                          Which Vox did you get? I picked up a VT15 a few weeks ago.

Comment

Ummm, not sure bro it's at the lake, but it's a 2x12, I want to say 80watt? Dunno, it's got all the fx, handful of tone mods, etc. All Solid state tho, the only downside. But like I said, it's perfect for what I need. I really don't know much about it as I barely ever used it, bought it for the condo at the lake and used a couple of times. Also, there's a significant difference between the MTS and the other Randall stuff, don't even play them if you can't play an MTS.

Comment

Yeah im also guilty of passing over randall quite often.. maybe ill check them out.

Where can I go to try out these boutique amps (the PB etc)?

Whats the story on Framus Cobras..haha a few of you mentioned them and ive never even heard of them.

Im new to this whole high end amp scene lol

Comment

Working...
                              X