Marshall JCM 800 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall JCM 800 questions

Ok so I am ready to take a plunge into the vintage amp game and am pretty sure I've decided on a early to mid eighties JCM 800 100 watt head. I have a couple of questions to all you Marshall experts out there.

1) Is there anything I should or shouldn't be looking for (ie. specific model, specific years, vertical inputs, etc...)

2) What are your feelings on the Zakk JCM 800 and the Kerry King JCM 800 as an alternate idea?

Just a little background. I am just looking for another sound for recording. I have an Ampeg VL-1002 half, an Uber half, and a Johnson Millenium half for my modeling needs. I thought a nice vintage Marshall would be a good fit.

So please fire away...
    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

I have a 1989 JCM 800 2210. It's 100 watts and all tube, but it has diode clipping which tends to catch it some criticism. In general, the 80's Marshalls aren't high gain at all. The 2210 is probably the highest gain (plus the 2205 50-watt version) of the 80's models and it still (in my opinion) needs a box in front of it unless you have the luxury of totally diming it. I have to say, though, that it really sounds organic to my ears and not processed at all.

If I were to pick an 80's model Marshall right now and price/availability was no object, I would have to go with the 25/50 Silver Jubilee edition, the one that Slash made famous. If I'm not mistaken, Marshall has reissued this one.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
      I have a 1989 JCM 800 2210. It's 100 watts and all tube, but it has diode clipping which tends to catch it some criticism. In general, the 80's Marshalls aren't high gain at all. The 2210 is probably the highest gain (plus the 2205 50-watt version) of the 80's models and it still (in my opinion) needs a box in front of it unless you have the luxury of totally diming it. I have to say, though, that it really sounds organic to my ears and not processed at all.

If I were to pick an 80's model Marshall right now and price/availability was no object, I would have to go with the 25/50 Silver Jubilee edition, the one that Slash made famous. If I'm not mistaken, Marshall has reissued this one.
      +1. Because of the amps you already own I would look at the
      Silver Jubilee

Comment

btw.... my bandmates think my Green Stripe Mesa Boogie MKIII is the best sounding "Marshall" they have ever heard. How about that?

Comment

Interesting on the silver jubilee. I hadn't thought about that one. Any ideas on where I could hear some clips?
          "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
            btw.... my bandmates think my Green Stripe Mesa Boogie MKIII is the best sounding "Marshall" they have ever heard. How about that?
            Really? A MKIII sounding like a Marshall? I haven't heard that one before. My only experience with Mesa's from that vintage is my brothers old MKIIc. Now that thing is awesome. Of course he will be buried with it, and wont play anything else

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with a 2203, the great basic Marshall from that era. They evolved from the JMP 100 watt 2203 and if you can find 'em with 6550 tubes, OMG. Killer/organic tone. Sounds great with effects right into it, or by itself. Reliable and loud with dripping tone. The 2203 is the business:

"Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                Not a problem. My Vetta II is by far the best sounding "Marshall," "Soldano," or "Roland JC120" I've ever heard.
                Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

2203 or a Silver would be my choice.

I've played each recently and they both sounded great. I'm convinced I'm a Marshall guy (well, I've know it for 20 years, but just confirmed it).

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
                    Really? A MKIII sounding like a Marshall? I haven't heard that one before. My only experience with Mesa's from that vintage is my brothers old MKIIc. Now that thing is awesome. Of course he will be buried with it, and wont play anything else
                    right now my MKIII sounds pretty identical to Doug Aldrich's hot rodded Plexis
                    "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

I think the ZW and KK models are way overpriced.
                      Scott

Comment

Well guys I appreciate all of your insight. I have listened to a few you tube clips of the Silver Jubilee and have decided thats what I am after. Now just to find the right one! Any opinions on the 25/50 watt or the 50/100 watt models?

Comment

I have the Zakk, a JVM 410, and a 2005 reissue JCM 800. The JVM is by far the most versatile, but if you're after *the* Marshall tone, buy an 800. My regular reissue JCM 800 sounds BETTER than the Zakk signature head, and occasionaly you can find the reissue heads for a reasonable price.

You will not be disappointed with a reissue 800. The tone is pretty much the same as the vintage ones, but you get an effects loop and more reliability. Put an MXR or Boss OD in front of that bad boy and you will be ready to slay some dragons.

Comment

My 1981 jcm800 2203...AWESOME! Need a good pedal in front though
                            My 1987 jcm800 2204...cool for bluesy stuff..not a bad amp by any means could be tweaked for metal
                            My old 1985 jcm800 2205 wasn't all that so I dumped her
                            Damn near bought a Jubilee this week, they sound great, it's on the wish list.
                            Heard great things about '89 2210 from alot of sources.
                            www.JerryRobison.com
                            '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

I have about an 86 or 87 2210 100 watt JCM 800. It gives a great AC/DC sound but anything heavier you need a pedal to push it. Great Amp though bought it new and gigged it for years and it never let me down.

Comment

Working...
                              X